Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Auto gearbox level - mk 4 with no dipstick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:13    Post subject: Auto gearbox level - mk 4 with no dipstick Reply with quote

Hi All

About to do a big service on my mk 4 2010 3.2 197, its just reached 100k so thinking of doing the autobox oil.

However there is no dipstick or tube fitted to my truck. Box looks essentially the same as my old mk3.

Is there an easy way to do the level now there is no tube?

Could I retrofit a tube and dipstick from a mk3?

Thanks all
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

theron

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the official procedure:

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/pajero_iv/maintenance/Service_Manual_2008_2013/2010/index_M1.htm
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that, what a performance though compared to the dipstick method!
divyamane

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an easy way to do the level now there is no tube?

Could I retrofit a tube and dipstick from a mk3?

IT Training Institute
perspex

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody done a step by step guide to this ?
Hints and tips?
Or is it a mitsy job 😭
alanymarce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - this is weird - ours (2016 model Mk IV) does have a transmission dipstick - it's just beside the engine dipstick...
4ePikanini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know the dipstick is the jatco transmission, and lack of dipstick is the aisin.
Nokiokid

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29    Post subject: Dipstick Reply with quote

Yes mine is a 2007 LWB and the auto box has a dipstick just behind the Engine one how often do they recommend changing the auto Box oil and does it have a filter as well
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:13    Post subject: Re: Dipstick Reply with quote

Nokiokid wrote:
Yes mine is a 2007 LWB and the auto box has a dipstick just behind the Engine one how often do they recommend changing the auto Box oil and does it have a filter as well

There is no specified change period, they check it at every service and this is a visual and sniff test, many dealers now have the oil sampling kit for them also so they can take a sample and test it in minutes.

It does have a filter and this is located inside the gearbox sump and only ever needs replacing if the ATF has become contaminated and on the MK3 this was usually the dipstick tube becoming dislodged, due to the way the fluid works it drains back when the engine is stopped and the fluid drains back through the filter and cleans it by flushing it.
Changing the filter isn't a big job but getting to it is as there is no gearbox sump gasket and the sump uses a gasket paste and you need this, if you put too much on it squeezes into the gearbox sump and clogs the hydraulic circuits, too little and the sump leaks, and you need a piece of wood to knock the sump off carefully without distorting it.

So, unless your gearbox has become contaminated, forget the filter change and just keep the ATF up to snuff.

Peteinchad does this simply, he drains out what he can using the drain method known as pump out and replaces this amount with new fluid, he did this every year and basically its a continual replacement of a quantity of fluid every year so it is in tip top condition.
alanymarce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 16:35    Post subject: Re: Dipstick Reply with quote

[quote="assassin"]
Nokiokid wrote:

There is no specified change period, they check it at every service and this is a visual and sniff test, many dealers now have the oil sampling kit for them also so they can take a sample and test it in minutes.

Our (2016 Montero) maintenance schedule specifies changing transmission fluid every 195,000 Km (every 90,000 Km in heavy use). I'd guess that eariler models would be similar in maintenance schedule.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - I used the "pump out method" as explained in the workshop manual.

It gets about 5L out plus about 0.5L from draining the sump.

I never changed the filter inside the gearbox - no need when changing the majority of the ATF every year.

I had the truck for over 10 years and the gearbox was reliable and the changes were smooth.

Ok - it cost a bit in New Millermatic ATF and about an hour of time but I work on the advice my dad gave me over 50 years ago .... "Change the oil regularly and you remove many of the problems you would get in the future" - this applies to gearboxes and engines, that is why I also changed my engine oil every 5,000 km ( not miles)

I know it seems a bit OTT - but easier and cheaper than changing an engine or a gearbox.
perspex

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree pete , its a machine , they all need looking after👌
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:50    Post subject: Re: Dipstick Reply with quote

[quote="alanymarce"]
assassin wrote:
Nokiokid wrote:

Our (2016 Montero) maintenance schedule specifies changing transmission fluid every 195,000 Km (every 90,000 Km in heavy use). I'd guess that eariler models would be similar in maintenance schedule.

This is UK/EU model advice from Mitsubishi, you are in Columbia which is a totally different market and totally different advice from Mitsubishi.

If you look at the Aisin website it specifies changes at 90,000 miles around the world, but Mitsubishi recommend different things for many reasons. You are in Columbia which is the American market, the climatic conditions and types of use are different and this means Mitsubishi will tailor their advice to that market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: