QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New here, new to pajero's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerij35

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 17:36    Post subject: New here, new to pajero's Reply with quote

Just bought a pajero 2800 intercooled turbo LWB  1996 (p reg) 109 k kilometeres:lol: wanted one since before I left school, im now 35 and financially able to buy, maintain, run the beast, is there anything I need to know, things to look out for,, getting 20mpg is this normal? Just want to be sure ive not bought a lemon,
Looking forward to some helpful replies 😂 thankyou in advance (hope my first ever post is where its ment to be)

Thanks ceri 👍
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 17:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the club  Very Happy

Mpg really depends on your right foot but on the whole 20 does seem a bit low... if the absence of any particular issues make sure it's serviced regularly and if still the same a new cam chain to get your valve timing back in shape will help big time.....  if you decide to go this route avoid Mitsubushi as they charge £1257  Shocked  where as I can do it for 1/3 of that and at your home too  Smile
Cerij35

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 18:52    Post subject: New here, new to pajero's Reply with quote

Awesome, thankyou for the welcome and thankyou for the reply so quickly, the pakj was recently serviced by the last owner within 1000 miles, what would be the intervals to change oil/filters etc 5k or less/more? Ive never owned a paj or any 4x4 come to think of it lol. I love it, and this will be my family's forever car. Now and again it drops into limp mode also, turn key off start her back up and runs really well. It just happens ever so randomly 1mile or 100miles never the same consistency 😱
I think ive had a bargain but you never know lol, all I know is always wanted one so I got it and now its staying regardless of how much it costs!

I love it 😀

Cheers Ceri 👍
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum.  Glad that you're so pleased with your Pajero.  I have a 1996 Challenger that has the same 2.8 engine and auto gearbox as the Pajero. I've owned it for six years now, and still love it as much as I did when I first got it.  Common sense tells me that I don't really need to run two vehicles, but it's too good to let go.

My comments on your post:

Fuel consumption.  I am also getting around 20mpg, which can improve to a max of around 24 on a long journey.  I find that the style of driving makes little difference. I run 50/50 diesel/petrol in the the winter and 90/10 diesel/petrol in the summer, both with the addition of a cetane booster.  It's a bit of a drag mixing fuel up, but with veg oil at around 80p per litre at Costco it's worth it.  One word of warning is that veg oil can cause various seals on the injection pump to fail, so be prepared for that.  I removed and refitted the pump myself (the the help of Vijay, another member on here) but the refurb still cost about £400.

Mileage and servicing.  Have you been able to verify the mileage on your Paj?  109k kms seems extremely low for a 23 year old vehicle. If it's correct, I would very much doubt if the cam chain needs replacing. Mine's on 250k kms and it's on the original chain.  I've always changed the oil and filter every 5K kms, and I think this is really important to do.  The other vital thing to maintain is the cooling system.  It's really important that the radiator allows a really good flow of coolant and has not cold spots in it which indicate blockages. It's much cheaper to fit a new radiator than a new cylinder head, which is what will fail if the cooling isn't good. Check the viscous fan too.

It's also worth checking the operation of the 4WD system.  On a loose surface make sure that you can engage low ratio without any problems or flashing lights.   Once you know it's OK, use 4WD and low regularly so that the actuator and linkage remain free.

Now that I've got my Challenger sorted, it's bulletproof. We've taken it on several journeys across Spain, France and Portugal and it's never missed a beat.!

I hope you get as much fun from your Paj as I have from my Challenger. Good luck!  Smile
Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome to the club I ran a paj for years I just loved it you wont ever be short on help or advice on here its a great place to be with a fantastic bunch of guys too  Very Happy  Very Happy
Cerij35

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:46    Post subject: Thanks for the welcome everyone 👍 Reply with quote

WOW  Very Happy

An amazing response to my questions

Mileage is spot on, verified through MOT history checker (uk)
Pleased I dont need cam chain doing yet Very Happy

I will take on board every tip I've been given and am offered, luckily I have some mechanical backround, eg service my own cars, brakes etc nothing more tho so all help is greatly appreciated!

When you say petrol/diesel mix, do you mean run the engine mixed on it? Sorry just sounded a bit scary lol  Shocked

Cheers fellow paj guys  Cool
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 23:21    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the welcome everyone 👍 Reply with quote

Cerij35 wrote:
When you say petrol/diesel mix, do you mean run the engine mixed on it? Sorry just sounded a bit scary lol  Shocked

Silly me!  Embarassed  I meant to type 90/10 veg oil/petrol as my summer mix. The addition of 10% petrol makes the veg oil a little less viscous.

You are incredibly fortunate to have such a low mileage Paj.  There can't be many MkIIs around with a mileage as low as that.
Cerij35

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I get you now, thanks for clarifying mate 👍 is there any mods I need to do in order to run on veg oil without causing damage to the engine?

I done some speaker upgrades today and removed all the old decals and put shiny new red ones on, the old ones were badly weathered, next im going to attemp to make and fit a sun visor to the exterior out of galv sheeting 😀

Looking forward to trying some off road driving soon too 👌

If the wife would let me think I'd sleep in my paj, it gets more attention than my kids haha 😀

Good chatting with you mate 👌
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerij35 wrote:
Right I get you now, thanks for clarifying mate 👍 is there any mods I need to do in order to run on veg oil without causing damage to the engine?

No mods needed, but bear in mind my warning about the pump seals leaking.  It's generally recommended to change the fuel filter soon after switching to veg oil as it can dislodge crud in the tank and pipe.   I get my veg oil from Costco in 20L boxes, and use this as a cetane booster:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NBS-Laki-Ultra-Pure-99-2-Ethyl-Hexyl-Nitrate-Treats-1-000L-Cetane-Booster-1L/172046676126

You'll enjoy off-roading, I'm sure. You'll be amazed at how good the Paj is. My Challenger has put a Defender to shame.  Smile

You've obviously been seriously bitten by the Pajero bug!  Laughing  Have fun!
Cerij35

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers buddy, will bear in mind all you have said 👌 top man!

Another issue ive got is limp mode now and again, its stopping the turbo boosting, turn the ignition off and start her back up all well again, any idea?

Much appreciated thankyou 👍
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerij35 wrote:
Cheers buddy, will bear in mind all you have said 👌 top man!

Another issue ive got is limp mode now and again, its stopping the turbo boosting, turn the ignition off and start her back up all well again, any idea?

Much appreciated thankyou 👍

I've got no experience of limp mode.  All I  can suggest is that you read the codes via the 'flashing light method' and work from there.

Here's a guide as to how to do it and what the various codes mean:  https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=33491
Cerij35

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers buddy 👌 even solving problems for me, by pointing me in the right direction, many thanks 👌😀
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much as everyone has said ..give it a good service filters+fuilds/check the underneth for rust floor and chassis .Also check the brake pipes that run along the rear axle and grease those balljoints  Shocked If you can one thing i did find helpful was to pressure washer the underfloor and chassis of all the *beep* ..just to see if it,s going to give me problems later.Depends on how long your thinking of keeping it .
toshers

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I'm new here too
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: