Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

MK1 rear differential drive flange oil seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:29    Post subject: MK1 rear differential drive flange oil seal Reply with quote

I have recently noticed that the rear differential drive flange seal on my MK1 has started to leak a few drops of oil. It is not a major leak, but the outside of the mud shield has a coating of oil and a few small drops have been splashed onto the exhaust silencer box.

I have a few questions if anyone here has changed one before.

Once the drive flange is removed, how easy is it to access this seal to lever it out?

Is the inner sealing surface attached to the removable drive flange?

Are replacement flanges available if the one that comes off is scored or pitted?

What size socket is required to undo the central nyloc nut?

Can the replacment be drifted in with a socket or will I need to lathe turn a suitably sized tube? From photos online, the seal lips stick out beyond the front face of the seal.

I have done one of these seals on a Series three Land Rover before. Replacment drive flanges are readily available for those as the sealing surfaces on the originals are often pitted.

Thanks for any replies.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:29    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

2.25diesel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now ordered the replacement seal and found that the outside surface is steel and not black rubber as the transfer box seal was.

Does this mean that the seal outer face needs a coating of sealant before fitting?
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied a light smear of sealant when fitting these bare steel seals.
2.25diesel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I have considered raising the front wheels to keep the differential oil away from the sealant while it is setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: