2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

The twin battery fail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:54    Post subject: The twin battery fail Reply with quote

Got out early today had to get some diesel but the paji just wouldn't start. It's the twin batteries fail again. Putting two batteries in parallel is a stupid idea to be honest, the problem is if one battery fails it drags the second battery down with it. So if you find yourself in this unsavoury position, all you need do is disconnect one of the positive battery connections and check the battery disconnected with a multi meter on the 20 volt setting, in my case one battery was showing 12.2 volts the other was 11.4 volts isolate the lower voltage battery and remember to give the good battery a slow over night charge n/b the pajero is quite happy running on a single battery.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its much better practice to disconnect the earth as this wont short circuit if it touches earth  Laughing

Basic mechanics, when removing/refitting a battery take off the earth first and connect it last  Very Happy
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 0:35    Post subject: Re: The twin battery fail Reply with quote

mw6zanhampete wrote:
Got out early today had to get some diesel but the paji just wouldn't start. It's the twin batteries fail again. Putting two batteries in parallel is a stupid idea to be honest, the problem is if one battery fails it drags the second battery down with it. So if you find yourself in this unsavoury position, all you need do is disconnect one of the positive battery connections and check the battery disconnected with a multi meter on the 20 volt setting, in my case one battery was showing 12.2 volts the other was 11.4 volts isolate the lower voltage battery and remember to give the good battery a slow over night charge n/b the pajero is quite happy running on a single battery.

I don't agree that it's a 'stupid idea' having two parallel wired batteries. It's to increase the power available for cranking and generally came with the 'winter pack' for extreme conditions.  The twin batteries should always be replaced in pairs with two identical batteries being fitted.  If one of your batteries is failing, then it's likely they aren't a matched pair.  Or it could be that the connections to one of the batteries aren't perfect. Either way, don't blame the designers!

Many owners seem to have removed the second battery, but I think the spec for a single battery has a higher rating than those supplied as a pair.

As Mark3 says - don't disconnect the positive to isolate the battery!
mw6zanhampete

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ho mark yes one always disconnects the negative battery post first, why I didn't include it in my post, for the non electrically minded I do not know. But I just cannot see the point of connecting two batteries in parallel when one big battery would have been a better option. I have had the paji for 13 going on 14 years now and had 4 batteries go down on two occasions the fault took out the other battery and the alternator a very costly problem. I'm now considering removing the engine mounted batteries and fixing a battery box in the rear and running one huge 12 volt lorry battery hopefully resolving 5his idiotic twin battery balls up.✌peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: