Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

04 Shogun Elegance Vibration @ 60mph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacko965

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 13:35    Post subject: 04 Shogun Elegance Vibration @ 60mph Reply with quote

Hi I'm looking for some help/advice for my 04 Shogun Elegance 3.2 Auto Diesel.
not had the car long, everything looks fine on it, test drove it on the motorway and national speed limit roads and it was absolutely fine. But obviously has an issue that didn't reveal itself on the test-drive.
At speeds up to 60mph ish is absolutely fine, when it gets upto 60 mph on the motorway there is a horrible vibration and low thud/knock/vibration type thing which seems to be from the front centre of the car which is worse under breaking, it also has a rhythmic feel and sound to it like I was driving over evenly spaced out bumps, bit like a steam train chugs - (best description I can think of)  if I accelerate to about 80mph it normally calms right down and stops. Also when I slow down to 60 the vibration can disappear it can also come and go if staying at 60, so its randomly intermittent. Front and back prop shaft joints seem to be fine, had the tires balanced, breaks are good, no kickback under normal breaking, some when the vibration starts. Gearbox and engine sound fine and pull the car well even when the vibration starts.
Any recomdations for specailists around north manchester south lancs area? I'm based in Bury Lancs

My mechanic taking it for a drive later this week, but any suggestions or experience of this would be helpful.  
thanks
jacko965
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 13:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be worth checking out the CV joints. Had a similar noise on the front of my Challenger and that's what it was.
Marc4X4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very similar sounding issue on my 2000 V6 which was a result of two collapsed catalytic converters (small one on the left bank and the main one under the car) - Once above 60mph and a certain rev band the entire system would begin to vibrate as the gases backed up and the vehicle would feel like it was about to explode so I wouldn't push it any further. As the contents of the cat moved around the case it would suddenly come and go - it drove me nuts for months.

I originally thought it was a gearbox issue so was quite surprised by the diagnosis of an o2 sensor fault which ultimately wrecked the cats as the car ran rich and melted them. I ended up replacing the entire lot with a 2.5inch stainless custom system with two new sports cats to meet the emissions regs. It now runs like a swiss watch (a very loud one) lol
jacko965

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice/ideas.
Did a 50 mile round trip on the motorway today and it was fine, just a slight rumble for about 5 min on the return journey. It seems If I accelerate moderately and build up speed slowly it's ok, so the exhaust system fault seems plausible,.  Still need to check CV joints properly, having it looked at tomorrow so will see
what mechanic thinks. Appreciate the help thanks.
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem that developed and ruled out wheels and geometry as the had been done recently. I thought CV joints but no clunking when accelerating and no visible movement with my hands on them. I gave up on it but then it failed it’s MOT with play in front lower ball joint. I replaced it along with the upper ball joint as it was only another £15. Hey presto! No vibration.
It's a cheap job as the lower ball joint is around £20 and the upper £15 from MitzyBitz but the job involves removing the hub from the driveshaft as you can’t get to the bolts for the lower ball joint.
jacko965

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late updating this but been away in the caravan towed by a
vibration free Shogun. It was a break problem, seems two calipers had partially
seized and were grabbing the disk when they got hot and expanded. Two of the
disks were warped adding to the problem. So new pads and disks all round and
both off side calipers changed. A not too expensive fix, the car runs brilliant. Driven
hundreds of miles towing and driving all over north Wales, no issues.
Thanks for the advice and input on this issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: