Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero fuel knock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dongray

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:50    Post subject: Pajero fuel knock? Reply with quote

HI I have a 1994 pajero 2.8l. it has exactly 157000 kilometers. It sounds great idling or going down the road. If I accelerate from a stop it makes an awful knocking or rattling sound and is blowing blue gray smoke until it shifts then its perfectly fine again. I had the injectors rebuilt and only one had a fouled o ring in it. The noise and the smoke are still there. No one here in America knows anything about these vehicles.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it always done this or just started doing it on its own?  

Also does it loose power when this happens?
Dongray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has had trouble going up hills. If I'm going 110 km and I start up a slight incline it will fall to 40km and the rpms stay up. If I force the accelerator to maintain speed it will blow smoke and go straight to 4000rpm and shift hard. The knocking is very new though. It started when I had almost no power and again I forced it. That time it blew about a 10 meter cloud of blue smoke and the sound has been there ever since. I've stopped driving it because of this.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms  and it was the EGR  Playing up .

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=100&sid=f7f98d53d06be494274ebac091185f98
Dongray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll pull the egr and take a look. I also noticed I have oil running out of the intercooler hoses. Is this maybe the culprit? If so what's causing that?
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

emax wrote:
I had similar symptoms  and it was the EGR  Playing up .

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=100&sid=f7f98d53d06be494274ebac091185f98

Thats exactly what i was thinking..... pull the vac hose of the EGR valve, block the hose with anything that fits and go for a drive to see if its any better, if it is  its the EGR control electronics opening the valve when it shouldn't, although the valve could still be faulty, if its an improvement then remove and blank off the egr  Very Happy
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dongray wrote:
Ok I'll pull the egr and take a look. I also noticed I have oil running out of the intercooler hoses. Is this maybe the culprit? If so what's causing that?

This will just be the intercooler hose clip needs tightening  Very Happy

There is some oil in the induction air and it will creep out with a boost leak.....
Dongray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the diesel mechanic I have it with has of course lost the only key I have. As soon as we find I will plug the egr hose and see what that does. Thank you for the replies and I'll get back with you as soon as possible.
Dongray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know it was the egr. Or at least the solenoid. The egr itself was actually clean and operated perfectly but when I pulled the vacuum hose and blocked it all the problems went away. Will it hurt to drive it like this or do I need to remove egr and blank it as well?
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dongray wrote:
Hey guys, I wanted to let you know it was the egr. Or at least the solenoid. The egr itself was actually clean and operated perfectly but when I pulled the vacuum hose and blocked it all the problems went away. Will it hurt to drive it like this or do I need to remove egr and blank it as well?

You can leave it like this permanently if you wish  Very Happy  

Fixing a leaking EGR valve is easy, fixing the electronics because there opening the valve when they shouldn't isn't so easy..
Dongray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha I believe I'll leave well enough alone. Thank you for your help and I'll surely be back if anything else decides to crop up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: