QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

upper wishbone ball joint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 16:31    Post subject: upper wishbone ball joint Reply with quote

I have just found grease all around the upper wishbone ball joint, im guessing this isnt normal. How hard are they to change (do i need to remove the wheel hub etc) and do i need and special tools like a ball joint remover? Looking at it doesn't seem too hard 3 bolt and the big one. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Its a 3.2 did swb if you need this
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 16:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uppers are the easy compared to the bottom.Ball joint fork will make things easier and rusty bolts.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure mine already has rusty bolts but at least it doesn't look too hard to do thanks for the response
JPB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it simply be a case of the joint having been overfilled last time it was serviced? Grease will come out either between the groove and the spring that keeps the boot in place and although not aesthetically pleasing, isn't harmful as long as the boot hasn't split. Either way, a new boot is cheaper than a new joint and can be fitted without removing the joint.

I'm taking it that there are nipples but haven't done anything with these newer models so, if it doesn't, as long as the joint isn't seized a new boot with some grease inside during the fitting should be all that's needed. I usually get a little grease coming out of the boots through the vent hole when I put the gun on the Mini's ball joints, at service time or after it's been on the beach, but only a little and not enough to cause the boot to split.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had a quick look but the boot seems intact will have a better look when the weather gets better, i don't know if its been overfilled with grease as i have had the car just over a year and i didn't think until now about greasing them so that's the next job grease gun out and find all the nipples. I do have squeaks when driving so maybe that could be the cause.
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OEM ones don't have grease nipples so if you've lost the grease then it's time to replace. The replacement top ball joins do have the grease nipple and spoke long as the gaiter isn't damaged can be refilled.

The top ball joints are easy to replace but you will need a good ball joint separator. Just held on with three bolts but try and get a replacement that comes with these bolts as they can seize up and get destroyed removing them.

The three bolts are 40nm and the ball joint nut is 74nm but you'll need a crow foot on it as the drive shaft prevents you getting a socket on it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: