QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Which Battery does what?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notsabad

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Which Battery does what? Reply with quote

Hi, My Pajero has two batteries (as everybody's does) but they are different ages. My truck is not starting on a morning now, so I was wondering which of the batteries I need to change so I can get her started again. Is it the one nearest the windscreen that provides most of the power to the starter motor, or is it the one nearest the radiator? Many thanks in advance . . .
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are wired in parallel to give more power. So both positive terminals are connected to each other, as of course are the earths.  If they are being replaced, both batteries need to be swapped out at the same time otherwise a single new one will be drained by the old one.  If the batteries you have currently are not a matched pair, that might be the problem.

Several owners have removed one battery and replaced the other with one of a suitable rating.  If you do this, remove the redundant cable to the second positive terminal so that there's no risk of a short.
notsabad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon, many thanks for your reply. A few years ago when I was having the batteries changed, the guy said to me that one battery does the starting, and to use his expression "the other battery is for all your toys" i.e air con, heated seats etc. When I used to drive an electric forklift in the 1990's I was able to see the "bridging" between all the batteries when I had to re-charge it on a night, but can't see any bridging on my '91 mk2 paj'. I have bought a trickle charger today as my batteries are less than a year old, which one of the batteries would you be inclined to charge up first? Many thanks . . .
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

The err service you paid for getting the batteries changed should have resulted in two identical batteries. As mentioned by Simon, it is counterproductive to mix and match and it doesn't make electrical sense to have two batteries fitted but then only use one to deliver the cranking amps for cold starting, not to mention some kind of charge controller monitoring two batteries. No, I'm going with Simon i.e. they are parallel wired so the circuit only sees one battery but by having two in parallel it gives you double the amps. Get two new ones to be sure, or you could no doubt live with one new battery just fine but that means disconnecting the other.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if changing both batteries try to go for the same and biggest that will fit BUT if just one has died you dont have to change the other!

As long as your other battery is ok you can connect a new battery to the old one (assuming there both 12 volt lol) with no issues at all and they dont have to be the same rating either, i know this because i have done it on my own Pajero, i bought the biggest battery that would fit and it was fine for over 2 years then i sold it  Sad

Its all well and good people suggesting this approach, to disregard a perfectly good battery, but their not paying for it are they!
notsabad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys fellas. So just to clarify, If I ever need to have my truck Jump started with its new batteries in the future, with a power pack or jump leads, are you telling me it doesn't matter which of the two Batterys the restart Jump leads needs to be attached to ?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark3 wrote:
Yes if changing both batteries try to go for the same and biggest that will fit BUT if just one has died you dont have to change the other!

As long as your other battery is ok you can connect a new battery to the old one (assuming there both 12 volt lol) with no issues at all and they dont have to be the same rating either, i know this because i have done it on my own Pajero, i bought the biggest battery that would fit and it was fine for over 2 years then i sold it  Sad

Its all well and good people suggesting this approach, to disregard a perfectly good battery, but their not paying for it are they!

That's fine in the short term, but eventually the old battery will fail and bring the new one down with it. If you only want to buy one battery and you're buying the biggest one that will fit, it maybe best to remove the other one and use it somewhere else.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

notsabad wrote:
Thanks for the replys fellas. So just to clarify, If I ever need to have my truck Jump started with its new batteries in the future, with a power pack or jump leads, are you telling me it doesn't matter which of the two Batterys the restart Jump leads needs to be attached to ?

Correct, as the clamps are permanently connected together.  This is why you need to be careful when removing one battery.  The positive clamp that's removed remains at 12v and the full current of the battery will go through it if the terminal touches an earth.  So always insulate the positive clamp (I use an old rubber glove) when it's removed.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Mark3 wrote:

That's fine in the short term, but eventually the old battery will fail and bring the new one down with it. If you only want to buy one battery and you're buying the biggest one that will fit, it maybe best to remove the other one and use it somewhere else.

Your obviously assuming the old battery wont last long but theirs no reason to think this..... mine lasted in excess of two years and when i got in touch with the new owner 18 months later it had still not suffered any battery issues  Shocked  so money saved for at least 3.5 years, whats not to like about that?  Very Happy

As i said its all well and good advising people to replace both at the same time if they only need one but its really not essential  Very Happy
notsabad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon, but my 2 new batteries are not visually connected (or bridged), and look very separate to me, as they have done so since I bought it my truck in 2005. I'm clearly not an electrician, as you've obviously worked out, so are you saying these batteries work in unison somehow when trying to turn the starter motor over?
I'm not electrically minded as I stated, but if you put Two 12volt batteries together, wouldn't that make the juice to the starter motor 24volt? or am I just a numpty . . .
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

notsabad wrote:
Thanks Simon, but my 2 new batteries are not visually connected (or bridged), and look very separate to me, as they have done so since I bought it my truck in 2005. I'm clearly not an electrician, as you've obviously worked out, so are you saying these batteries work in unison somehow when trying to turn the starter motor over?
I'm not electrically minded as I stated, but if you put Two 12volt batteries together, wouldn't that make the juice to the starter motor 24volt? or am I just a numpty . . .

The first part is correct. The battery cables are connected together out of sight. The positive cables on a terminal and the negative ones to earth (body ground).  

However because the positives and the negatives of both batteries are connected together (in parallel) the voltage remains at 12.    If you were to remove the batteries and connect the positive of one to the negative of the other (in series) you'd then have 24 volts.
notsabad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon. I've now got the trickle charger on as I don't use mi truck much nowadays. If you say that both batteries are connected, does that mean I can put the Live lead from the trickle charger to one battery(+) and the other to the Negative earth on the other (-) , so that both batteries could be charged together?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

notsabad wrote:
Thanks Simon. I've now got the trickle charger on as I don't use mi truck much nowadays. If you say that both batteries are connected, does that mean I can put the Live lead from the trickle charger to one battery(+) and the other to the Negative earth on the other (-) , so that both batteries could be charged together?

Yes, the charger can go on either battery or across them both. It makes no difference.
notsabad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charged it overnight with a new £20 argos trickle charger, with the earth charger lead on one battery and the live on the other battery and mi truck started up straight away this morning, thanks for your help . .
Andy1966

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good it started at last when had battery problems I changed mine to a single battery had to modify the wiring abit but it worked really well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: