2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.5 V6 overheats only when idling - ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5hogun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31    Post subject: 3.5 V6 overheats only when idling - ideas? Reply with quote

My "new" 2004 3.5 petrol V6 is running hot when idling or stuck in traffic. Happened a couple of times, yesterday was a very warm summer day and I was in a long traffic jam. Temp needle went up to about 11 o'clock ie not to the top of the gauge but near the top. I had air con on maximum. Turned off air con, put heater to maximum and opened Windows and needle dropped back to 8 o'clock or however you describe normal temperature.

After leaving the traffic jam and on free flowing road I put air con back at max and engine temp dial remained normal for the rest of the drive home. I've done a few motorway trips too and it seems temp is fine as long as car is moving.

In a couple of weeks' time I will be driving 500 miles in one go up to Scotland on the motorway which could be very punishing for a car with dodgy cooling. What should I be looking at getting checked out before I go to investigate and sort the overheating?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing i would look at would be viscous fan,seems like its slipping and not pushing enough air through radiator,when traveling at speed  air is pushed through radiator so not totally relying on fan to cool system,would also flush cooling system to make sure all is clean and free flowing.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
first thing i would look at would be viscous fan,seems like its slipping and not pushing enough air through radiator,when traveling at speed  air is pushed through radiator so not totally relying on fan to cool system,would also flush cooling system to make sure all is clean and free flowing.

Ill second this Smile

You have no major issues if your heater can cool it down while stationary and its fine when driving it'll be the fan not dragging enough air through the rad when it should, also considering how hot it was yesterday your heater managing to cool down a big old V6 is pretty impressive lol

P.S. the cooling fan is only there to move air though the rad when there is not enough forward movement  Very Happy
5hogun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - my excellent local garage checked the fan clutch and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The radiator was nearly full too so no coolant leak as viewed from the radiator cap.

Or was there? The white plastic expansion tank was bone dry empty. The garage partially filled it up with coolant then drove extensively and let the car idle for most of the (very hot) day without any further heating issues. They concluded that the empty expansion tank must somehow have been sucking air into the cooling system.

I was curious meanwhile to find what appeared to be a loose hose connected to the expansion tank and flapping in the wind with no valve blanking it off. The garage thought it was designed to be that way - does that mean you use the open ended tube to fill up the expansion tank? Does it really just flap around the engine bay, and does it not have any value to shut it off?

One other question - what coolant should I be using? Mitsubishi says use Diaqueen but nowhere seems to stock it least of all Halfords where I normally get stuff like that from. So am I OK to get bog standard pink OAT coolant, or do I need something different? Remember it's a 3.5V6 petrol built in 2004.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: