Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

compass lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattycoops43

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 22:28    Post subject: compass lights Reply with quote

Hiya

Sorry if this is a silly question.

I recently completely changed my centre dash binnacle as the one fitted had been totally mullered by the previous owner who had chopped various nasty gauges into it which all glowed neon blue and half of them didn't work.

I have a bog standard unit for my sport 2.5td, the gauges all work, and when I fitted it I checked the two blue bulbs in the holders that are between the three clocks, but the compass is completely dark.

Does it have separate bulbs inside the compass itself, or is it meant to be dark? Bit surprised if it's useless after dark?

Thanks

Matt
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 22:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Si7

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a separate bulb inside the compass that's quite a faff to get too IIRC, but it's there. This is on the earlier orange faced compass, the later green LCD version has two conventional push and twist bulbs on the back case.
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si7 wrote:
There's a separate bulb inside the compass that's quite a faff to get too IIRC, but it's there. This is on the earlier orange faced compass, the later green LCD version has two conventional push and twist bulbs on the back case.

Thanks for the info. My compass is green faced led, so does that mean there are additional lights inside the compass unit itself? both the bulbs on the back of the whole 3 clock pod are working I think because the volts and oil pressure are lit up fine, unless it's them that have internal lights?
Si7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's two push and twist bulbs in the later compass although now you have mentioned volts and oil pressure gauges I realise I was thinking of the wrong model, the compass should be the same though and does have it's own illumination.

This is the non Sport Pajero compass and the two back light positions at the rear, yours will be something similar :

upload
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo interesting.

Thank you. My compass face looks like that but with only the reset button, and the back is similar but I don't think it had the holes for the bulbs. I will have to pop the cover off and have a look.

Matt
Dougelove

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/gallery/5cYY67R

Ignoring the red &black wires, that was experimental led ING!
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougelove wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/5cYY67R

Ignoring the red &black wires, that was experimental led ING!

Thank you, that's really helpful.

I had not got very far since posting this, but the lights are definitely not accessible from outside the case. So assuming it's a solder in part? or do those grey circles come out? I don't suppose you could link me to the bulbs I need?

Matt
Si7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the grey circles are the rear of the bulbs, they twist in/out. Interesting that there's no access holes, the actual compass unit looks identical.

Bulbs are available by searching Pajero compass bulb on the Bay of E but were a complete rip off IIRC, think I soldered rice bulbs with flying leads into the existing bulb holder base when I did the job.
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si7 wrote:
Yes the grey circles are the rear of the bulbs, they twist in/out. Interesting that there's no access holes, the actual compass unit looks identical.

Bulbs are available by searching Pajero compass bulb on the Bay of E but were a complete rip off IIRC, think I soldered rice bulbs with flying leads into the existing bulb holder base when I did the job.

Awesome, I'll have another look. Soldering rice bulbs in I can do. DO they need to be blue though, or blue coated? The main ones are.

Now I look at your pics, I'm wondering, are the access holes blocked by the casing of the oil and volt gauge? I thought it was all one moulding, but you have got me thinking. I'll go and pull it out later and have a look.
Si7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seemed to have very thin coloured silicon filters on the bulb, I simply rolled this off and re-used with the replacement bulb, it wasn't adhered in any way.

Good call on the shrouding, that might be the issue, in one of Douglove's pics there does appear to be something very similar to an access hole for the bulb that's on the Pajero compass rear cover :

2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

These twist-fit bulbs can be found by searching for "instrument cluster bulbs" on ebay. LED versions are available in various colours including blue.

The only problem with fitting them is that LEDs are polarity specific, and the LED bulbs are not marked. This means they have to be tested in place before reassembly to ensure that they will light up. If they do not work at first, simply remove them and rotate the contacts to the opposite side.

My MK1 had one of these bulbs fitted to the air conditioning switch, which I replaced with the LED type as it had blown.
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Matt
mattycoops43

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks for the advice.

I sorted it out today when my bulbs turned up. It's not a hard job at all, but I just didn't think I would have to disassemble the clocks to change two bulbs. I can't believe they don't have access holes from the rear.

Anyway, thanks again.

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: