QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Gen 3 Montero, tracking problem after lift kit installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KVR1969

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:17    Post subject: Gen 3 Montero, tracking problem after lift kit installation Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, thanks for a great forum. Just joined and am hoping for some insight into a problem that arose with my '03 Montero Limited.

We've had the Montero for about 15 years, and it's been a fantastic rig. As of today it has 225,000 miles on it, and the only real problem its had is the infamous ABS pump going out.

I recently decided to put in a Dobinson's lift kit with new springs, shocks and struts. with 33's.

Long story short, now it wanders like crazy on the freeway, especially when you're driving on the semi truck ruts in the asphalt. It's really bad, like unsafe bad.

I've had the alignment done, then checked twice. Tires balanced too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JPB

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have alignment checked in all planes? The tracking could be correct and not move the plate when you check for scuff, but the castor could be too far toward the negative (upper swivel forward of lower swivel), which would affect self centering action really badly.

Not my illustration, that one seems to belong to someone who doesn't know the difference between baking ingredients and suspension geometry Laughing but it makes the point well enough.
Although a strut is used in the drawing, the principle is the same for wishbones, live axles and any other sort of suspension, independent or not. Correcting this is often accomplished by inserting or removing shims between either or both ends of the upper wishbone in cars with double wishbone IFS, which has the effect of moving the upper swivel backwards or forwards, depending on requirement.
KVR1969

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JBP for the helpful reply and illustration. I'll double check the alignment specs with your points in mind. Thanks again.
KVR1969

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the Hunter report,

Front:
Caster left is -1.8, Caster right is -2.0.
Camber left is -.9, Camber right is -.5
Toe left is.15, Toe right is .22

Rear:
Camber left is .1, Camber right is .5
Toe left is -1.13, Toe right is -.92 (total toe is -2.06)

So:

Left front camber and caster are out of factory specs, and right front caster is out as well.
Toe on both rears is way out of spec at -2.06.

I don't really know what to make of this. I guess my main questions is if any of these out of spec figures are severe enough to cause the wandering problem. Probably hard to say but I'd welcome any more thoughts, thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: