Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

running board lights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 19:16    Post subject: running board lights Reply with quote

Anyone changed running board bulbs on mk3 shogun,and if so,what bulb do they take and best way of changing them,one of mine as gone duff.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 19:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i read somewhere they can be changed to T10 leds, i think from when i looked under the car there is a cover 2 bolts that holds the lights in place but to be honest its the one of the few bulbs i havent changed (YET)!
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made this up a while ago

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168267&highlight=

I read somewhere what the bulbs were but cant remember where i read it but it says in the link about side steps
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-501A-Side-repeater-bulb/264499304537?hash=item3d95631859:g:bOoAAOSwdz9dpXsX
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers simon,managed to remove bolts from metal plate (unfortunately snapping one through) and replaced the bulb with the bulb you linked to in your post,managed to drill bolt out and replace,should of drenched them with some kind f penetrating fluid over night really. now i know how the bulb holder works,would get some long nosed angled pliers,and persevere at getting the bulb out without removing the metal plate next time,good link to bulb types around the vehicle,i have saved it for any future bulb replacement.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i got board one day so thought it may help someone later on. I will one day change my running board lights with leds but wait till the weather is better
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build my own using 3.6v LED's and wire four in series.

These give a much brighter and nicer light and they are hard wired in so there are no connectors to corrode.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you wire 4 led's in series in the one light fitting or 1 per light fitting (as there are 4 running lights) just curious now as i may want to upgrade mine sometime and you said it gives better light
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tightly Simon.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it comes down to engineering capability and what equipment and experience you have.

I like the 3mm diameter LED's and I put my small chuck in my lathe and turn the bottom flange so it is the same diameter as the body (3mm) and work from there.
I place the turned LED's down on a flat bench with wet and dry bonded to it using spray mount glue, and sand a flat along the length of the LED's and two are above the negative pole and two are above the positive pole.

You take one LED with the flat sanded above the negative pole and place an LED with the flat sanded above the positive pole on top of it and use a dab of superglue to bond the two flats together, and repeat with your other pair so you have two pais of LED's bonded together, then put the pairs back on your paper and sand a flat on one side to allow you to bond the two pairs together, now you have a four LED chip which is slightly less than 6mm square.

Take a bottom negative pin and fold it upwards towards the bottom positive pin of the upper LED and cut them so they slightly overlap and solder, take the top positive pin and bend it sideways towards the negative pin of the other top LED in your cluster, cot to length and solder, then take the bottom positive pin of this top LED and bend down towards the positive pin of the lower LED, cut to length and solder, this will leave one positive pin and one negative pin sticking out, these are cut back and the appropriate wires are soldered to them, place the wires on a battery noting their polarity as they are lolarity sensitive, and they should illumunate.

You will be left with a small hole in the centre of these LED clusters on their reverse side where you made your connections, I use a dab of epoxy to fill this hole and apply it using a cocktail stick or similar, let it harden and wrap some masking tape around your LED cluster standing proud at the rear end of your LED cluster and mix some more epoxy and pour this over the rear of your cluster to cover, insulate, and waterproof your wiring and pin connections, and when hard you remove the tape and clean your LED's and insert into your light fitting.

While I use 3mm diameter LED's you can get the smaller 2mm LED's and the ones I use are 3.2 - 3.6 volts, this means they work from 12.8 volts to 14.4 volts at full brightness and even with a straight 12 volts they still emit much more light then a standard incandescant bulb.

Note - most LED's come with the pole pins in different lengths, the longer pin is positive and the shorter pin is negative; however, some LED's come with equal length pins and the pin with a flat stamped onto it is the positive pin.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information, the LED's I use I buy in bulk, in bags of 100 and these are bright white and their ratings are as follows.

Forward voltage                 3.2 -3.6 volts
Forward current                 30 milliamps
MCD (brightness)               30,000 MCD
Reverse voltage                 5 volts
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great i must have a go at some point, I have thousands of leds from different sizes to colours so thats not a problem, i could even make a circuit (or pcb) that will fit into the fitting, the possibilities are endless. I will have to take the fitting apart and measure it up, if i can waterproof it i have some smd's but they are very bright! I will have to go through my electronic draws and boxes and find the one I like, starting to look like a good project.
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest SMD's Simon but they tend to be slightly too large for those available cheaply and again I cheat.

My CCTV system uses four SMD chips for nightime illumination if the PIR is tripped and these are switched on they light the area to s distance of 30M very easily, and to an angle of 120 degrees; I found my CCTV camera builders suppliers and found I could get a set of four chips for £8.22 which included postage and these were 2.8mm X 3.6mm and they accept 9-30 volts DC input; when these detect movement they switch on and provide sufficient light to switch the cameras IR off and switch back to daylight with full colour.

Sometimes you just get creative.
Simonfathead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there is so much you can do and just to replace a bulb lol
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might replace all four with white led bulbs instead,not to keen on the new amber bulb,its to orange apposed to the light amber glow of the original bulbs.got me thinking of changing all the bulbs for led,as the interior bulbs dont illuminate the cab very well.any idea of a good set of replacements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: