Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

fan/alternator belts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drew m

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 15:11    Post subject: fan/alternator belts Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my fan belts on my mk3 2005 shogun, I'm looking at gates 10x960 size, 2 or 3 suppliers have stated this size but I've been caught out before ordering wrong sized belts, can anyone that's maybe done this recently confirm this size is correct.
Thanks Drew
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 15:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently fitted a set and I bought the Milners kit as this includes both alternator and air con compressor belt and they were Toyo brand which I have used for several years without issue. They do need running to stretch them and re-tensioning after a few days, and remember to sand the pulleys lightly to remove the glaze using fine wet and dry paper.
drew m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 16:06    Post subject: Belts Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the info assassin, much appreciated.
Drew
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t have any joy with the Toyo belts they shredded leaving me waiting for recovery. They were replaced with Gates which felt a lot stiffer when fitting and no problems since.
If you’ve not done the job before the fan unbolts to give you extra space to work in and the nut for the alternator pivot is at the rear and pig to get to. I found it easier to remove the engine cover and get to it from underneath. If your AC is working you may as well replace that at the same time.
brk

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love gates stuff top quality  Very Happy
dennisrobinson53

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced both belts, Toyo from Milners.
They squeal all the time cold or hot then they will go quiet for a while then start up again.
Are the toyo belts too narrow?
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compared the broken Toyo with the Gates replacement belts and they were the same dimensions.
drew m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 15:24    Post subject: fan/alternator belts Reply with quote

I've always bought gates stuff before and had no problems so I think I'll stick with them, well priced on eBay at just over a fiver Inc delivery each so I'm happy with that.
Drew
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen problems with all belts and this is either a failure to prepare properly or they are the wrong size belt.

Squealing is a common issue with all belts including Gates and this is down to bad preparation and this is easily overcome, whenever you change any of the belts you will notice a glaze on all the pulleys and idlers and you have to remove this on them all by glazebusting using fine wet and dry on all the pulleys, and work particularly on the tapered sides as they transfer the power to the belts and to the items being driven, once this is removed it will allow the belts to bed into the pulleys. This will be more noticeable in winter or damp weather as this glazing and moisture are very slippery and will not allow the belts to bed in correctly; and this problem is not confined to Mitsubishi as most Japanese and Korean vehicles using traditional Vee belts suffer from it due to the materials used to make the pulleys, older pullerys were cast iron or steel and later ones were aluminium and casting leaves a coarse surface on the pulleys, unlike the pressed steels and two part components which are spot welded together as these have a much finer finish due to them having higher concentrations of recycled metal in them which polishes over time and use, and creates this glaze.
dennisrobinson53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!!
Crp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

much finer finish due to them having higher concentrations of recycled metal in them which polishes over time and use, and creates this glaze........ Interesting indeed

There is no evidence to base this on......... The properties of steel are in no way effected by the use of recycled material

Nearly 40 percent of the worldwide steel production is made using recycled steel!
dennisrobinson53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case the world should be "squeaky clean!"
Crp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

If only
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of evidence to base this on as the recycled metals used are of much poorer quality and this makes them much cheaper to produce and the evidence is all around us in every motor vehicle to most belt driven items from huge industrial pumps to rotary vibrators and this has been the case for many years now, this is why most industrial equipment where reliability is a major factor only use cast pulleys.

These cheaper pulleys in automotive applications are a major reason the Poly V belt was introduced as they have a much larger cross sectional area and work better on these type of metal pulleys.
Crp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

A high portion of cast material is also made using recycled material.

Your argument is not based on any scientific evidence!

It remains another urban myths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: