Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

No Mivec on Pajevo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EVO technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
novanut69

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 20:33    Post subject: No Mivec on Pajevo Reply with quote

Hi all,
So a question on how the mivec system activates on my pajero Evo.
I've had my pajero over a year and I could always feel Mivec at 5000rpm so all was good. Whilst in doing some cleaning recently I noticed that my actuator arm for the intake flaps was broken. I got it Welded up and put back together. As soon as that happened I could no longer feel Mivec kick in. When I take the actuator out and move the Intake arm all the way to the left as your looking at the engine Mivec is there again.

So with everything back together and the engine off, the arm is all the way to the left.. When I start the car and the Actuator has Vacuum the arm moves to the right on idle. So my question is, Is this correct? Does the actuator allow the flaps to move as you get high up the Revs and it looses vacuum to allow the arm to be all the way to the left again? I have disconnected the vacuum line to the actuator so the arm stays all the way left and Mivec is there again.
I know I havnt messed around with any vacuum lines or anything but maybe a past owner did?

What is the correct position for the arm on the long runner and short runner side and is there a switch somewhere that tells the ECU/Mivec it is in the Short runner side?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 20:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Vinson158

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.  
The Mivec system is in the heads.  This is a hydromechanical system that turns on when the Mivec solenoids, which are also located in the cylinder head, are triggered.
What you are describing is the VIC system - changing the geometry of the intake manifold.  It is used on many different brands of naturally aspirated motors.  Check the manifold for air leaks.  I can't tell you the correct position of the vacuum thrust at the moment.  I'll try to see the connection of the pipes in the manual, if I find it, I'll post it here.
There is no switch that would inform the ECU about the movement of the intake flaps.  According to the wiring diagram, there is also no interconnection between these systems, it seems that there is only one grounding.  You can hook two wires with a light bulb to the Mivec solenoid and bring this indicator into the car interior.  And to do a little research - to ride with the drive of the intake flaps disconnected and connected.  You can also check the voltage coming to the Mivec solenoids.  If I am not mistaken, then initially comes the on-board voltage approximately, and then decreases to about 5-6 Volts.  
If we consider exclusively the ECU, then it may not activate Mivec due to the engine temperature (I do not remember how many is indicated in the firmware) and if there are problems with the generator or the voltage control wire is damaged.  
interesting to listen to the assumptions and experience of other members of the club.
novanut69

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to doing some tests; I am still not convinced that MIVEC is activating, it was very obvious when MIVEC crossed over previously.
So far this is what I have done;

Disconnected both solenoids and put 12v to both solenoids and both click away.
I have ran a multimeter on the solenoid connector ends and went for a drive, Initially there is basically 0vs on both until 5000rpm where both get full volts (engine volts circa 13v).
Am I right to assume that if I am getting 12vs at the plugs at 5000rpm then all parameters for the ECU to trigger MIVEC have been met as the wiring diagram shows direct connection from the ECU to the Solenoids?

Where does that leave me? MIVEC worked until I fixed the VIC actuator arm that was broken. This also works and has a constant 12volts until about 4500rpm and then it grounds out putting the VIC on the short runners.

Any ideas what else it could be then?
Oil pressure at idle is 28psi and at a highway cruise its 61psi so I am sure oil pressure is not an issue.

I have also read that a blockage in the oil galleries can occur causing MIVEC not to switch but what are the odds that both banks had a blockage at the same time. Oil is changed religiously every 8000kms and is always clean.

Anything else I can try? What about pulling the solenoid from the head and putting power to it to see if it actuates the plungers in the heads?

Any help would be great,
Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EVO technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: