Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4wd flashing lights super select

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CParry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50    Post subject: 4wd flashing lights super select Reply with quote

An old topic, but one I feel I need one final piece of help with...

The vacuum solenoids both work, both electrically and suction.
There are no leaks on the pipes
4WD gets selected easily and lights stay on.  Back into 2WD is selected (and engaged) , but flashing lights take a while to go off.  Even in 2WD from start up the lights can sometimes flash for some time.  In both cases, lights eventually go off...

Here's how the lights usually go off... if the engine revs are low, the lights go off. This could be if the vehicle is just ticking over or the vehicle is travelling down hill in gear but foot off gas.  This can last all day perfectly. HOWEVER, if gas is applied to climb a hill or general accelerate, then the flashing lights appear again!
Nowhere can I find a post that mentions the engine revs affects the vacuum suction inversely proportionally and how to fix it...

HELP!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

CParry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52    Post subject: Re: 4wd flashing lights super select Reply with quote

[quote="CParry"]An old topic, but one I feel I need one final piece of help with...

The vacuum solenoids both work, both electrically and suction.
There are no leaks on the pipes
4WD gets selected easily and lights stay on.  Back into 2WD is selected (and engaged) , but flashing lights take a while to go off.  Even in 2WD from start up the lights can sometimes flash for some time.  In both cases, lights eventually go off...

Here's how the lights usually go off... if the engine revs are low, the lights go off. This could be if the vehicle is just ticking over or the vehicle is travelling down hill in gear but foot off gas.  This can last all day perfectly. HOWEVER, if gas is applied to climb a hill or general accelerate, then the flashing lights appear again!
Nowhere can I find a post that mentions the engine revs affects the vacuum suction inversely proportionally and how to fix it...

HELP!!

Its a Shogun PININ 2001 manual
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Pinin at all, but my understanding is that is has the same 4WD system as its bigger brothers.

First thing to realise is that the 'default' position of the actuator on the front axle is to engage drive. So in other words if the vacuum fails, the actuator goes into the 4WD position with the drive to the front engaged.  The flashing 4WD light syndrome is when the lever in the cab is in one position, but the actuator is in another. So the light will flash until the lever and actuator match. Then it either goes solid (4WD) or out (2WD).

So if 2WD is engaged, it's the vacuum that's holding it there. On most petrol engines, the vacuum is produced in the inlet manifold.  The wider the throttle opening, the less the vacuum. So my thought is that you've got a vacuum leak that isn't significant at low revs, but at higher revs there's not enough vacuum to overcome the leak.  This will begin to engage the 4WD actuator, and the 4WD light will flash.

Of course my theory is shot to pieces if you tell me the Pinin has a vacuum pump for the 4WD system!
CParry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have learnt a lot about the 4wd system over the last 6 months due to broken solenoid or sticky actuator! I think you are correct about default position being 4wd, but it is also activated by vacuum, actuator sucked out for 2wd, sucked in for 4.... there could be a leak, but the high loc an low range loc both work fine.... it’s a mystery!!! I get what you say about the flashing meaning the stick shift doesn’t match the actuator position, but it’s definitely only in 2wd as the rear will spin like a normal rwd car... grrrrr
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't using it properly as to change you have to be going in a straight line on a trailing throttle, if you accelerate it wont engage correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: