QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

(Hopeful) new owner in the near future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 18:59    Post subject: (Hopeful) new owner in the near future Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've had a soft spot for Shoguns/Pajeros ever since a mate's parents got one brand new in the mid 90s, and then being a Dakar Rally fan only added to their appeal.
I was actually expecting to be taking delivery of a 1999 LWB Shogun 2.8 GLS manual next week but the sale fell through today so I'm back looking for the right one again.

What attracted you to the Shogun/Pajero over the Land Cruiser, which seems to have an equally big following (assuming you don't own both  Very Happy ) ? For me it was the above plus the looks (superficial but still important Smile ) as well as the availability and low cost of parts that drew me in.
Also, for some fairly serious but not ridiculous off-roading, do you prefer the manual or the auto? I've only ever driven manuals off-road before but I've read that in some situations an auto can be better. I don't know if it's model/box specific though so would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 18:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two Land Cruisers on the farm, plus a 2003 Shogun 3.5 GDi LWB. I prefer the Shogun because it feels more flexible in terms of the wide range of uses it can be put to, from using all 7 seats as a people-carrier to folding forward the 2nd row to make a large load-space, to a 5-seater + plenty of rear space for two Siberian Huskies and better fuel economy! I also prefer having control of the differential transmission lock, low-high transfer, being able to (dis)engage 4WD on the move, and for regular road driving using the 5-speed auto gearbox in manual mode to provide engine braking.
Levans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
We have two Land Cruisers on the farm, plus a 2003 Shogun 3.5 GDi LWB. I prefer the Shogun because it feels more flexible in terms of the wide range of uses it can be put to, from using all 7 seats as a people-carrier to folding forward the 2nd row to make a large load-space, to a 5-seater + plenty of rear space for two Siberian Huskies and better fuel economy! I also prefer having control of the differential transmission lock, low-high transfer, being able to (dis)engage 4WD on the move, and for regular road driving using the 5-speed auto gearbox in manual mode to provide engine braking.

Some more good points there that I'd not even considered. What year and model is yours? Is the auto box a good one? I've only ever test-driven the manual so far. I was going to buy a manual just because it's what I'm used to and I also thought it might give more control in some conditions, but I suppose the auto could be better in others...
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levans wrote:
iam_TJ wrote:

Some more good points there that I'd not even considered. What year and model is yours? Is the auto box a good one? I've only ever test-driven the manual so far. I was going to buy a manual just because it's what I'm used to and I also thought it might give more control in some conditions, but I suppose the auto could be better in others...

Well this was the first auto i have ever owned,my 2.8 was a manual and i thought i wouldnt like the auto,i was even using the tiptronic mode at first it felt so weird not using left foot to clutch,but got to say i wouldn't go back to a manual now,so much more relaxing with auto and very strong aissin box.
Levans

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got one- a '98 LWB 2.8 manual that seems like it's been well looked after and has just been used on-road.
alienidea
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first pajero was a manuel check to see if the DMF  has been swapped out for the SMF plus clutch big money saver.
Levans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienidea wrote:
My first pajero was a manuel check to see if the DMF  has been swapped out for the SMF plus clutch big money saver.

I've got no paperwork to say so. Is there any easy way to tell? An inspection plate that can be removed or some external markings or similar?
alanymarce

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi: we had a Pajero in Africa for a while many years ago - good vehicle although the track was narrower than ideal. Replaced it with a Patrol which was very capable.

We have lots of experience with LCs - mainly North Africa and Middle East, and owned a Series 80 LC for two years in Africa. It was very capable and did a good job for us.

So, when we replaced our last vehicle here at home we looked at the LC and the Montero (=Shogun=Pajero). They're very similar in terms of comfort and equipment, the handling is more or less the same, and the offroad capability also about the same. However the LC was twice the price of the Montero - so, an easy decision. Our Montero is excellent, and takes us wherever we want to go, including 45,000 Km around Australia in 2019.
Levans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanymarce wrote:
Hi: we had a Pajero in Africa for a while many years ago - good vehicle although the track was narrower than ideal. Replaced it with a Patrol which was very capable.

We have lots of experience with LCs - mainly North Africa and Middle East, and owned a Series 80 LC for two years in Africa. It was very capable and did a good job for us.

So, when we replaced our last vehicle here at home we looked at the LC and the Montero (=Shogun=Pajero). They're very similar in terms of comfort and equipment, the handling is more or less the same, and the offroad capability also about the same. However the LC was twice the price of the Montero - so, an easy decision. Our Montero is excellent, and takes us wherever we want to go, including 45,000 Km around Australia in 2019.

It's similar here. LCs go for silly money whereas Shoguns/Pajeros can be found at a much more reasonable price, although it still took me about 9 months of looking before I found one worth taking a risk on (any 20+ year old Jap 4x4 with 150k + miles on the clock is going to be a risk to some degree).

The narrower track on the Shogun can actually be an advantage here sometimes though, as there are plenty of narrow roads, tracks and gateways where a wider vehicle would struggle or at least get scratched up along the sides. I've only had chance to take it off road a bit so far but it's really impressed me on some very steep, muddy or snowy inclines and along some really deeply rutted, rough tracks where the camber is so severe that you can see mostly ground if you look through the side window.

I already love mine and hope I can keep it for years to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: