Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil leak

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medicman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

Hi guys

I discovered an oil leak today, it appears to be from the rubber hose connection that pushes into a metal joint underneath the radiator that sits behind the main coolant radiator.

Can anyone tell me what that radiator is and if pulling off the hose and cutting an inch off it and pushing it back on with a jubilee clip would solve the problem.

Thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 20:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the auto box cooler line,cant see a problem as long as the hose reaches back onto the pipe
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model and year would be nice.

Icehawk, the transmission cooler is in front and underneath the main coolant radiator on MK3 and 4.
medicman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it’s a 2008 mk4 had it since nearly new but like myself it’s starting to show it’s age.

I think the auto trans cooler radiator is a small square one that sits in front of the main one, this ones behind both.

Another question, if I pull the rubber pipe off will it spill fluid, should I clamp it.

Thanks again.
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM there is no radiator behing the main coolant radiator apart from the air con which is behind the front grill.

What colour is the oil? if it is red then its most likely ATF so checking the level is the best option, if it is also pink/red it may be coolant leaking so check that.

Behind the main radiator are the metal ATF pipes so it could be those corroded and weeping or it could be the rubber connecting hoses damaged and leaking.

To check - raise the front of the vehicle and remove the front and middle undertrays, remove the front offside wheel.

Check the rubber pipes from the transmission cooler steel pipes for leaks, check the other end of the rubber pipes where they connect to the steel pipes which run alongside the coolant radiator, then bend behind it, if the steel pipes are heavily corroded then if the joints are fine it could be one weeping, if you go under the vehicle with some white kitchen roll and put your hand up behind the front crossmember you can feel the steel pipes and rub the kitchen roll along them it will show red ATF on the kitchen roll. If you look behind the front offside wheel with a powerful torch you can actually see the pipes and where they connect to the rubber Z hoses which connect to the two steel ATF pipes which connect to the gearbox.
medicman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks assassin it appears to be a leak at the joint between the rubber and metal connections from the bottom hose out of the small atf radiator that’s at the front of the grill, I saw it by looking through the panel under the bumper, it was very hard to pull off I had to cut it length ways with Stanley knife to remove it then discovered the metal pipe it was attached to was corroded and split almost all the way through, so I cut off an inch of the rubber pipe off and refitted it over the rest off the pipe secured with a new jubilee clip, seems ok now although there’s a lot of “red” oil all over that small long radiator that’s right behind the corroded connection.
I’ve put the lower grill panel back on but left the bash panel off to keep my eye out for any other leaks from that area.
Thanks again.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome MM, just glad you are sorted.
Rocket88

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this as i have had a similar issue on my 2007 Mits shogun 3.2Did. Anyone have a part number for the metal pipes, it appears mine are corroded and need changing.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one point, where the rubber pipe connects to the steel pipe it passes in a tiny space between the crossmember and chassis, this has a bracket to hold it so make sure this is attached otherwise the rubber pipe will rub and split, you will lose most of your ATF if this happens, just a point to note.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocket88 wrote:
Following this as i have had a similar issue on my 2007 Mits shogun 3.2Did. Anyone have a part number for the metal pipes, it appears mine are corroded and need changing.

Look on the Mitzybit site as they have them and from memory they were about £50 when I last looked.
assassin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9024112847
Rocket88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9024112847

Thanks assassin. Ideal, will get one from them, i am going to get my local garage to fit it, will mention the " the rubber pipe connects to the steel pipe it passes in a tiny space between the crossmember and chassis"
Thanks for the tip.
Rocket88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, had a good inspection yesterday before i ordered the above part, i can see its actually the rubber pipe that's is the offender.
As i understand it has to be a suitable pipe as the oil travels through.
Can any one recommend pipe type or indeed a part number please.
Thanks.
assassin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil and fuel resistant hose, cheap to buy online and I got mine from Amozen last time.

Be aware that it may not be the rubber pipe, but the metal pipe underneath which has rotted and the clips are compressing it and forcing it to leak.
Rocket88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, very helpful. regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: