Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Long Term Wheel Shimmy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor Dennis

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 21:51    Post subject: Long Term Wheel Shimmy Reply with quote

I have asked about this on this forum before, but have never been able to cure it and nor has the shop that does my repairs after two or three visits.
The vehicle is a 2001 Pajero 3.5 petrol GLS.  I am in New Zealand and the vehicles second owner.  I've had it for 16 years.

It started as steering wheel shimmy at specific speeds (50kph and 70kph). It can be quite violent causing the steering wheel to shake, but the vehicle does not deviate from a straight line.
It only happens under neutral conditions when the drive train is under minimal load, so when in cruise is the worse.
Light acceleration or braking causes it to stop immediately, and it only happens in a straight line.  The brakes operate smoothly.

I originally put it down to cheap Chinese tires, despite several attempts to get the balance right and rotating the wheels front to back, but it persisted after putting new good quality tires.
The vehicle has been on an alignment rig and found to be in spec.
It has had several NZ Warrant of Fitness (our equivalent to the UK's MOT) and I have told them about the problem challenging them to find worn suspension or steering joints.  They have found nothing, but the same guys missed totally shot rear suspension arm bushes recently.
Over time (and quite a lot of it) the issue has got worse. Where as it originally didn't happen above 70kph, it now happens up to 80kph.
The severity seems to change depending on how loaded the vehicle is with less load making the issue slightly worse. (I usually carry a good 100Kg of tools and materials distributed at the back and behind the front seats, so reasonably well distributed.
Road surface can make a difference, and I am fairly sure that wet roads make it worse.

I've Googled this repeatedly and I think I have eliminated the obvious culprits like wheels tires and balance.  So any thoughts would be most welcome.  I have found a new shop who seemed confident they could find the problem, but my usual shop has a good rep, so I'd like to give the new guys a heads up from people with experience of the vehicle.

Thanks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 21:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Trevor Dennis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I am confusing things in my post.  The worn suspension arm bushes were on my wife's Honda Civic.
Trevor Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ideas from anyone then?
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry nothing to offer here apart from curiosity - if its dependent on speed then in theory that narrows it down to just a few suspects but it sounds like you've already worked through the list. Likewise if 100kg is enough to make a difference that should point somewhere obvious, my only suggestion is to grease gun everything with a nipple and see if that buys you a few miles of fix to identify the culprit. Beyond that all I can think of is a methodical strip-down and rebuild.
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thing on a past mk2 would only happen at around 50mph,the car and steering would vibrate.mine turned out to be prop uj,or could have been prop itself as i changed the whole thing out with a second hand one.
Craig Robin

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably try to consult Google for an answer to this query.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: