Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

P2413 Code - EGR - But what exactly needs attention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulibsl

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 23:10    Post subject: P2413 Code - EGR - But what exactly needs attention Reply with quote

My 2012 3.2 DI-D has been throwing the P2413 code on and off for a year, increasing in frequency to once a journey now.
When it first arrived I removed the EGR valve and cleaned. Sorted for a few months. On its return, I dismantled the EGR valve, the downstream pipe to the inlet manifold and the exhaust to EGR valve pipe and cleaned these. Problem not solved. Purchased a new EGR valve solenoid/motor that controls the mechanical EGR (just a punt). Still not solved. Took car to local 4x4 dealer and asked if they could solve. After a couple of weeks they threw in the towel without solution. I have an iCarsoft scanner (BMW focused model but does basic OBDII) that I use to read and clear the incessant P2413 (always 2 of same code or 1 plus 1 pending).
I can run scanner in Live data mode and can see EGR Command and EGR error live as I drive. After clearing codes all looks good (the command varies and the error grows then quickly clears to 0% as the solenoid/motor catches up on requested command) for about 10 mins (from cold) all good, then both readings drop to zero and the engine management light comes on.
I wonder if an O2 sensor has failed but has reached temperature (not from its heater but engine exhaust heat) and the system has failed it? I'm told O2 readings can throw the EGR balance out.
I also get this message from iCarsoft scanner - EGR Monitor Bank 1 - Component ID $01 Status FAIL - Test Value 0.00mg/stk, Upper limit 655.35mg/stk Lower limit same at 655.35.
I would be delighted if the Owners Club could direct me in the path to solving this issue. My nearest Mitsubishi service centre has stated in the past 'We employ technicians not engineers. We replace parts until we solve the problem'. I can't be paying for a random parts replacement programme. I'd like to go straight to the part that needs replacement/cleaning/adjustment. If you know of a diagnostic approach that might get me to the issue please help.
My last resort without guidance would be to remove the inlet manifold and clean it out - but its a long dismantling job and I can't find any supplier selling just the gaskets/seals I'd need for reassembly - I don't want to buy a massive set of gaskets, just the ones to the inlet manifold components.
Last thing to mention - once code(s) thrown, then ignition turned off, the engine runs for a little over 1 second before stopping with a judder. Once recently it went into limp mode after coasting down a very long hill. Brought back to life with ignition off and same P2413 code cleared.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 23:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mitch77

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 22:41    Post subject: Re: P2413 Code - EGR - But what exactly needs attention Reply with quote

paulibsl wrote:
My 2012 3.2 DI-D has been throwing the P2413 code on and off for a year, increasing in frequency to once a journey now.
When it first arrived I removed the EGR valve and cleaned. Sorted for a few months. On its return, I dismantled the EGR valve, the downstream pipe to the inlet manifold and the exhaust to EGR valve pipe and cleaned these. Problem not solved. Purchased a new EGR valve solenoid/motor that controls the mechanical EGR (just a punt). Still not solved. Took car to local 4x4 dealer and asked if they could solve. After a couple of weeks they threw in the towel without solution. I have an iCarsoft scanner (BMW focused model but does basic OBDII) that I use to read and clear the incessant P2413 (always 2 of same code or 1 plus 1 pending).
I can run scanner in Live data mode and can see EGR Command and EGR error live as I drive. After clearing codes all looks good (the command varies and the error grows then quickly clears to 0% as the solenoid/motor catches up on requested command) for about 10 mins (from cold) all good, then both readings drop to zero and the engine management light comes on.
I wonder if an O2 sensor has failed but has reached temperature (not from its heater but engine exhaust heat) and the system has failed it? I'm told O2 readings can throw the EGR balance out.
I also get this message from iCarsoft scanner - EGR Monitor Bank 1 - Component ID $01 Status FAIL - Test Value 0.00mg/stk, Upper limit 655.35mg/stk Lower limit same at 655.35.
I would be delighted if the Owners Club could direct me in the path to solving this issue. My nearest Mitsubishi service centre has stated in the past 'We employ technicians not engineers. We replace parts until we solve the problem'. I can't be paying for a random parts replacement programme. I'd like to go straight to the part that needs replacement/cleaning/adjustment. If you know of a diagnostic approach that might get me to the issue please help.
My last resort without guidance would be to remove the inlet manifold and clean it out - but its a long dismantling job and I can't find any supplier selling just the gaskets/seals I'd need for reassembly - I don't want to buy a massive set of gaskets, just the ones to the inlet manifold components.
Last thing to mention - once code(s) thrown, then ignition turned off, the engine runs for a little over 1 second before stopping with a judder. Once recently it went into limp mode after coasting down a very long hill. Brought back to life with ignition off and same P2413 code cleared.
Iamjoe

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, Did you end up getting to the bottom of the P2413 error code. I too have replaced ERG valve and did a intake manifold clean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Mk4 / Gen4 2006 on models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: