Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Wheel and tyre sizes for most ground clearance possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 14:11    Post subject: Wheel and tyre sizes for most ground clearance possible Reply with quote

Happy New Year all. After about 9 months of looking I've found a manual 1998 LWB 2.8 GLS at the right price and taken the plunge.

It's currently on 265/70/R15 Avon Ranger TSE tyres which are fine on-road, but don't seem like they'd be up to much off-road judging by the tread pattern and the fairly tame stuff I've tried so far, so I want to upgrade them ASAP. I also want to upsize them as much as possible to not only increase ground clearance but also for aesthetics, as this Shogun has got the winter pack with the 1.5" body lift so it looks a bit silly at the moment with masses of gap between the tyres and arches.
I'm not sure if it's also had a suspension lift (I don't know how to check either).

First of all, is there a generally regarded maximum tyre diameter for off-road performance? I'm willing to compromise on on-road driving because I've bought this specifically for driving on snow, mud, through fords/shallow rivers, doing green-laning and occasionally a bit of easy rock crawling, so it won't be spending a great deal of time on-road.

Secondly, what's the maximum tyre size I'm going to be able to use assuming I don't have a suspension lift and just have the 1.5" body lift? I'm happy to buy new wheels if necessary, but I didn't want to do a suspension lift straight away (maybe further down the line if I think I'd make use of it).
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 14:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my truck to Charles at JCS TYRES and he fitted new wheels and tyres to my 2.8 LWB.

I told him I wanted the largest that would fit without modifying the bodywork and he sorted it while I waited.

He is based at Bardills garden centre on the A52 near Toton.

He also has an eBay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/jcs4x4wheelsandtyres
Levans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I took my truck to Charles at JCS TYRES and he fitted new wheels and tyres to my 2.8 LWB.

I told him I wanted the largest that would fit without modifying the bodywork and he sorted it while I waited.

He is based at Bardills garden centre on the A52 near Toton.

He also has an eBay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/jcs4x4wheelsandtyres

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him. Roughly how much should I budget for?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't charge me for fitting but about 10 years ago a set of 5 steel wheels and General Grabber tyres was about £1000 - probably cost more now.
Levans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid him a visit. What a top bloke. Thanks for the recommendation, really happy with the new wheels and tyres.
Grabber

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! Do you have any pictures to share of the car on new tyres? Cool
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Levans"]I paid him a visit. What a top bloke. Thanks for the recommendation, really happy with the new wheels and tyres.[/quote]

Yep - he knows his stuff.
froilad

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levans wrote:
I paid him a visit. What a top bloke. Thanks for the recommendation, really happy with the new wheels and tyres.

So, what size did you get? I'm curious because I'm planning to get a new set of mud tires and wheels for my Pajero.
robfinger

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm running 235/85-16 tires on mine, they fit just fine with no lift. Those are best fitted on 7" wide wheels, but watch the offset, ET00 is what you'd want for best fitment on the vehicle. That same diameter tire can also be achieved with 265/75-16 tire, put those on 8" wide wheels, might wanna go for the ET-12 offset there to make the tires sit a bit closer to the outer edge of the fenders. What you don't want is ET-35 offset, that makes the tires stick out quite a bit, nor enough to be harassed by law enforcement but enough to throw mud all over the sides of your truck which is super annoying as it makes your clothes a mess when you park in a tight parking spot (so pretty much everywhere in this country lol) and you're trying to squeeze yourself between your truck and whatever is next to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: