Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

alternator wiring.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex fireman.stan

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 19:59    Post subject: alternator wiring. Reply with quote

hi guys just changed my sons alternator on his 1995 2.8d Pajero to find a different one has been retro fitted and the plugs gone from the loom.
question does any one know which spade on the alternator the yellow thicker wire and white wire go to please? no vacuum pump on it/
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 19:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

dhammika

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please get the workshop manual from following location and you will find the correct wiring there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJBT050_Ju3RlpjWXdWU2JGY0E/view?usp=sharing

If you need further help just let me know
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yes the diagrams great though seems we have bigger problem. the dashboard ign light and oil lights not coming on, bulbs ok. if you rev the engine it blows the 100 amp fuse, any ideas please?
dhammika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
the dashboard ign light and oil lights not coming on, bulbs ok. if you rev the engine it blows the 100 amp fuse, any ideas please?

Did you mean Low charging indicator by ignition light?

Please check No 11 fuse in the junction box under right dash panel

Blowing 100 A fuse means your AVR in alternator is not working I guess. Please check the thick yellow wire and white wires are connected correctly.

Start the engine only after confirming the wiring
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

checked every fuse and they're all ok......got a new alternator coming but am a little worried about wiring it in case I get it wrong and blow it. as alternator is not marked to say which is which the only clue I have is the yellow is the wire closed to the large live that comes in but this seems a little risky? so looking from the back of alternator you would wire white.....yellow? do you know how to test which is which please?
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I did mean the charging light. do you know where the alternator relay is located please haven't seen that.
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sorry having gone through all the wiring diagrams looks like its a mark 1 I have so found the relay now and the interior fuse box does not have all the connectors attached to it.
dhammika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
ok sorry having gone through all the wiring diagrams looks like its a mark 1 I have so found the relay now and the interior fuse box does not have all the connectors attached to it.

I'm confused..  Since you got 95 2.8, it is definitely a MKII not MKI. And what is the purpose of finding the relay?

If both of your charging and oil pressure lights are not working, then it points to the No 11 fuse, because both are powered through that fuse.

For the correct wiring connection refer the following image.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0786/6953/products/1_e08789c8-aab9-4890-bb0b-c6dfd7904ff3_grande.jpeg?v=1441721075

Thick yellow wire should be connected to the top one and white wire should be to the bottom one.
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I do understand your point , as i,ve gone through the wiring you sent me its become apparent form diagrams its a mk1 given its an import I can see how that would happen. number 11 fuse is ok unfortunately so just looking to find everything involved, the alternator rely ive found now in the under bonnet fuse box, thus the mk1 thoughts. bit of a problem with the up and down though as the plug sits at the top but think ive found a picture in the end where white sits to the left of the plug. hope this all makes sense to you. thanks for the help.
stan
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
form diagrams its a mk1 given its an import I can see how that would happen.

Mk1's never came with a 2.8 engine - read HERE
dhammika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
thanks I do understand your point , as i,ve gone through the wiring you sent me its become apparent form diagrams its a mk1 given its an import I can see how that would happen

Weather it is import or not 2.8 always comes with MKII, so pls do not go into wrong conclusions without checking.

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
bit of a problem with the up and down though as the plug sits at the top but think ive found a picture in the end where white sits to the left of the plug. hope this all makes sense to you. thanks for the help.
stan

Just rotate the image to the required direction. If the connectors locking bit is on the top, and when you looking at the alternator from the behind, then left side is thick yellow one (which supplies to the field coil) and small white one on the right (which turn off the charging light)

If your number 11 fuse is working, then check the supply to that.

for MK2 both (4D56 and 4M40), alternator relay is located in fuse box in engine compartment
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you so much, just to clarify before a ruin an alternator. I'm using the 95 wiring diagram and page 4A-5 which explains where the wires go as you said white to the left as I look at rear of alternator. I have 12 volts on yellow wire and no volts on the white wire is 12 on yellow correct? still need to find why white is not powered hoping its the relay I suppose. no dash lights on, charge and oil etc.
dhammika

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex fireman.stan wrote:
I'm using the 95 wiring diagram and page 4A-5 which explains where the wires go

You need to do some homework before reading the corresponding section of the manual.

Actually you should look at the 91-94 wiring diagram. Because 91-94 one is the base one and only if a circuit get changed with the later models, it is included in the corresponding year's wiring diagram. Since charging circuit for 4M40 engine is not included in 95 diagram, you should refer 94 one.

Top one shows how to read the pin numbers of a socket, and bottom you can see the Alternator socket symbol in the circuit diagram and the actual socket. Since there are two lines in the symbol, it is a male connector and male connector is located in the alternator and wiring harness side is the female. Notice the small red circles in symbol and the actual socket, which will tell you which side is up.

So No 1 is yellow, and No 2 is white. No 1 should supply the voltage to the field coil and once connected white wire provide ground (earth) to the Charging indicator bulb, when stationary (and when the ignition is on). Once the engine ruining and alternator provides +12v to the white wire, instead of the ground, hence indicator turn off.

If you earth the white wire, (when Ignition switch is on - and engine not running), your charging indicator should lit up.

Hope this helps
Ex fireman.stan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you we now have charge and oil lights so alternator is right I believe only issue now is when you rev the engine the 100amp fuse blows. its a new alternator.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is typical of a faulty regulator which is built into the alternator.

Be sure the battery terminals are connected Pos to Pos, neg to neg.

If you have a meter, test the battery voltage with the engine stopped , then on idle. then at say 1500 rpm. The readings should be around 12V, 13.5V and 14V. If you have a DC clamp meter, amps should not be much above 60.

Lets know what you find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: