eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Shogun 3.2 auto gear box oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurf 1

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:43    Post subject: Shogun 3.2 auto gear box oil Reply with quote

Hi All. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but with conflicting results? Anyway, is Dexon 3 fluid compatable to used in the 5 speed auto box of the 3.2?? Wink The reason,  Wink I've got a supply of Dexon 3, good for my 2.8 but I'm told by my Mits' man Dexon 3 is not 'man enough for the 5 speed auto? Surprised Is he correct? Thanks for any replies and advice. J C.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't get Dexron 3 anywhere near it.

On earlier models the ATF specified is Dia Queen or Mitsubishi SP II, and later 3.2 models all used Mitsubishi or Dia Queen SP III.

SP III is backwards compatible and can be used in earlier vehicles which used SP II and all Mitsubishi dealers only stock SP III and fill all vehicles with it so they don't have issues with someone filling a later vehicle with SP II by mistake.

Earlier vehicles using SP II were marked on their drain plugs "Use Dexron II" this was because D II was commonly available in many of the territories in which Mitsubishi sold their vehicles and many people assumed you could use this, you cannot, it was only a get you home measure or get you to the dealer measure, where the dealer would drain the box and refill with SP II, the correct fluid. Dexron III became available well after Dia Queen SP II and was not an updated Dexron II it was a new fluid which was so similar in specification to SP II that it could be used to replace it.

So, basically you can only use Dis Queen or Mitsubishi SP III in your box and nothing else.

Try Opie Oils as they do Millers Millermatic SP III at reasonable prices, you will need 2X 5 litre cans to do a fluid change, and Millermatic is a very good quality ATF fluid.
windsurf 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi assassin, thanks for the detailed reply. It was as I thought after reading some posts on an US site reference oil specs' Shame when I've got an unlimited supply source of Dexon 3 Wink I was at Milners, Matlock last week and asked the same question. They tried to sell me Dexon 3 Shocked Yep' I 've dealt with Opie Oils before and found them very helpful. Thanks again assassin. Cheers John C
Doug Hope

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh not like millers to flog anything they can. Useless son of a preacherman. Yeah I've done 2 changes now using millers sp111. All bought from opie with no problems.
windsurf 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug Hope. I've used Milners in the past for filters etc, but a personel visit did not fill me with confidence Laughing l The container the guy showed me was clearly marked Dexon 3 Rolling Eyes His reply when I queried the hgher spec' oil required for the 3.2 was it was Mitis' way of "flogging their own oil" Surprised. Thanks for the replies. John C.
Doug Hope

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they would be happy to pay for a replacement gearbox if it goes wrong after you test it for them eh. I got brake sliding bolts from them and they were definitely not from a shogun. Good luck with the fluid change.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain this simply, in years gone bye the Dexron standard eventually caught up with Dia Queen SP II, the fluid which caught it was Dexron III which was actually modelled on SP II, when Mitsubishi introduced the super select transmission in the 3.2/3.5 series III vehicles they really specified their new replacement ATF to a very high standard. In simple terms, while others were taking single steps with their ATF Mitsubishi took about 20 steps.

As a very highly qualified engineer I do understand oil specifications and I can catagorically state that nothing else is even similar to Dia Queen SP III, therefore nothing else can be used to replace it other than SP III compatible ATF; and believe me I have read hundreds of ATF specification sheets for this same question by several members of this site.

Since around 2004/5 many manufacturers of vehicles and automatic gearboxes began to move away from the popular Dexron products and began to develop their own specifications, this was for many reasons and money was the main reason, with your own individual specified ATF you have no competition and can charge what you like for it. This is the reason many new vehicles, or manufacturers state their own specifications so you have to go to them to have it changed or buy it. Reliability is another issue, many manufacturers wanted to get away from the Dexron products which were predominantly for the US market vehicles as European and Asian market vehicles were overtaking the traditional US automatic gearboxes in terms of technical specification and quality as well as performance, hence the Dexron products were not suitable for these predominantly more reliable gearboxes as they demanded a much better ATF for cheaper running costs and reliability.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

To explain this simply, in years gone bye the Dexron standard eventually caught up with Dia Queen SP II, the fluid which caught it was Dexron III which was actually modelled on SP II, when Mitsubishi introduced the super select transmission in the 3.2/3.5 series III vehicles they really specified their new replacement ATF to a very high standard. In simple terms, while others were taking single steps with their ATF Mitsubishi took about 20 steps.

As a very highly qualified engineer I do understand oil specifications and I can catagorically state that nothing else is even similar to Dia Queen SP III, therefore nothing else can be used to replace it other than SP III compatible ATF; and believe me I have read hundreds of ATF specification sheets for this same question by several members of this site.

Since around 2004/5 many manufacturers of vehicles and automatic gearboxes began to move away from the popular Dexron products and began to develop their own specifications, this was for many reasons and money was the main reason, with your own individual specified ATF you have no competition and can charge what you like for it. This is the reason many new vehicles, or manufacturers state their own specifications so you have to go to them to have it changed or buy it. Reliability is another issue, many manufacturers wanted to get away from the Dexron products which were predominantly for the US market vehicles as European and Asian market vehicles were overtaking the traditional US automatic gearboxes in terms of technical specification and quality as well as performance, hence the Dexron products were not suitable for these predominantly more reliable gearboxes as they demanded a much better ATF for cheaper running costs and reliability.
4ePikanini

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

dia queen is a very high spec oil but over an above that it's composition is designed to work with the wet clutches in the box.

Use any other oil and you may get judders and/or accelerated wear.
windsurf 1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again all thankyou for the informative replies and info' Very Happy Cheers John C
zakspeed

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rang mm and advise if doing my atf they refill using 80W90 it just sounds wrong!!!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go there then !
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange as Mitsubishi dealers only stock SP III and nothing else for the auto box.

Did you get a new car salesman or the office secretary?
zakspeed

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young lady on service desk
assassin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the only thing she knows about servicing is if her husband or boyfriend are servicing her as she certainly knows nothing about Mitsubishi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: