eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Alternator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredy

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:32    Post subject: Alternator Reply with quote

Hi guys, had replaced my alternator belts last year no issues all went well. Now my 3.2 2005 lwb has been whining for the past two weeks, belts are tight enough, bought gates ones, i think it may be a pulley, my question is can the pulleys be bought and tensioners if so from where, or if anyone has another fix on how i can find out why she's whining, thanks for reading and for replies
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

What noise is it making? is it sqeeling and does it do it when you first start up or when you turn lights on,or is it metalic sound,i had a noisey aircon belt pulley bearing but that was on my 2.8 and i replaced it.i usually spray some water on the belts when idling and if noise goes away or lowers then usually belts at fault,and with winter here and dark mornings/nights alternator works harder to recharge battery and run lights and windscreen wipers any fault with belts will show up.lots of belts advertised for the 3.2 are to narrow and dont ride on the shoulder of the belts causing bad contact even when seamingly tight. check this thread out and the belts i changed mine for
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=171528
Fredy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the noise a screech is when i start it, the belts are Gates, i had them done last year no issues since then, like i said only started few weeks ago, i took off the intake pipe this afternoon to see if any pulleys were loose, everything seems fine, once its warm the noise goes as usual
Craig-SM

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the previous belts had been slipping they may have left a glaze on the pulleys. Run some 240 grit paper around them to clean them up. Unfortunately you’ll have to remove the belts again to do this.
Fredy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous belts were Gates also and were fine, no issues with noise, the only issue i found was that some of the belt teeth were missing on closer inspection , that was the reason why i changed the belts, since then it has been fine, i have had a look at the belts and all seems good, im thinking it may be a pulley but dont know which one, seen a few on ebay, there is a salvage yard local that do mitsi but they guys is a cowboy, charging a door lock for forty quid, bought the same item for twenty five including postage from ebay, anyway does anyone think it may be the alternator pulley and if so how do i check top see if the bearings have gone instead of taking it off, the noise does go when it gets up to temperature, i may be way off the mark but i start work early and i think my neighbours getting a cheesed off that i have not fixed it yet
Fredy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update, i removed everything i could from the beast, to get a better look, sure enough one of the belts seemed alot looser than the other, started to tighten the belts via the adjuster and hey presto, solved the problem, starts without screaming and screeching and good for my neighbours,, there i was looking into buying pulleys and tensioners if needed, thanks for the advice guys, now i want a double din system with dab radio, got some long journeys next couple of months need a good android system, if anyone knows of one, had a look at Halfords, just stupid money, thanks again for information guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: