QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4D56 Turbo oil feed line connector on cylinder head leaking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2.25diesel

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:59    Post subject: 4D56 Turbo oil feed line connector on cylinder head leaking Reply with quote

Has anyone else had problems with oil leaking from the turbo oil feed line connector on the 4D56 engine?

I am referring to the hexagon adaptor shown in the diagram below (part number 01214P).

I have an oil leak down the right hand side of the engine for a while that I had been unable to find.

Looking with a mirror I fairly sure that the drip is coming from where that adaptor screws into the cylinder head. It soon reappears in the same place if wiped away. I replaced rocker cover gasket and rear half-moon seal back in 2018. So far the rear half-moon seems to have stayed dry.

I originally thought that oil was leaking through the turbo seals as oil was dripping down the exhaust, so am relieved that it doesn't seem that is the problem.

I have found out that it is effectively impossible to get a regular 17mm spanner onto that adaptor with where it is located.

To save having to buy a flare nut spanner, I will most likely cut a piece out of a 17mm offset ring spanner.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do these fittings gradually vibrate loose with combined with the heat expansion of the engine? I have also recently tightened both the oil pressure sensor and vacuum pump oil feed banjo bolt as these seemed to have slightly loosened.

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

2.25diesel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the ring spanner with the cutout. Unfortunately the inlet manifold still doesn't allow enough room to turn the spanner.

I did wonder if I could temporarily remove the steel turbo oil feed pipe and use a socket and extension bar on the fitting. However it is also difficult to get to the banjo bolt at the turbo end.

I am always reluctant to undo any connections that aren't leaking to avoid stripped threads or causing other leaks.

Why does something that should be a simple job have to be so difficult?
polmacd

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is a old post but maybe anyone will know, I was wondering if this is a common issue, my turbo just went and after removing the intake manifold I also have seen loads of oil around this connector, MD170837 . I was going to remove it and apply some liquid seal on it  ( maybe PTFE tape ) . Or maybe the leak is from the rear rocker cover half moon.......
polmacd

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is a old post but maybe anyone will know, I was wondering if this is a common issue, my turbo just went and after removing the intake manifold I also have seen loads of oil around this connector, MD170837 . I was going to remove it and apply some liquid seal on it  ( maybe PTFE tape ) . Or maybe the leak is from the rear rocker cover half moon.......
laurief

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

polmacd wrote:

You are not alone - I had the same problem after a rebuild with new turbo - leaked badly from both the oil pipe connector and the rocker cover - tightening the pipe union fixed that part - was not easy, but a pipe spanner did the trick ... after removing a few parts for better access! the after market rocker seal and half moon were also an issue which needed some silicone! - so just a combo of human error in tightening and poor quality parts! - parts not so easy in Papua New Guinea with Covid supply chain issues from other countries. - all the best with your fix.
2.25diesel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold the vehicle a few months after my original post without ever getting round to sorting it.

I know it wasn't the half moon as I had replaced that seal back in 2018.

Shining a light onto the back of the engine from underneath the vehicle showed that the rear of the engine was still clean when I first noticed the leak.

Putting some sealant on the connector threads while the intake manifold is off seems like a good idea. Be careful re-tightening the connector, as threads in aluminium can strip easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: