Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Rear Body lights on Mk 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradwell Boy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 18:41    Post subject: Rear Body lights on Mk 4 Reply with quote

Can the rear body lights be used for Rear/brake and indicators?
Been looking around other sites and they suggest that all the wiring is already there. Seems crazy to me to have those nice big body lights just for fog and reversing.
I understand the reasoning behind using the bumper mounted lights with various regulations in other countries and the fact that if the tail gate is open during a breakdown/puncture during the hours of darkness it would obscure the O/S rear body light,  its the same situation for other 4X4s  troopers etc.
Is it realy as simple as getting bulb holders and fitting them?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 18:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simonfathead

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Mk3 the wiring is all there, indicators, reverse, brake/side and fogs. All you have to do is decide what lights to put where. I added an extra fog light as it only comes with one and brake and side lights( these are in the big red lens). The only problem is you have to drill out the bulb holes and there is no reflector in the housing where i put my brake lights. You could add a switchback light to replaced the reverse and have it dual purpose. As this is the only white lens in the cluster (no orange) so reverse and indicator. But you will have to change the bulb fitting from a single to a double wired plug to accept both the feeds from the reverse and indicator.

Sorry my mistake just re-read the title and yours is a mk4
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looking hopeful then even on a MK 4 Smile
radiomike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest concern on UK Shoguns is the small rear light in the bumper which makes the vehicle look a lot smaller than it is from a distance. All the wiring is there behind the main lamp and the sidelamp bulbholder is there with a bulb and an unused cable, it is just a case of extending the wire and crimping on the correct terminal to suit the connector. The mk3s and swb mk4s use a standard terminal that is easy to source but the mk4 lwb uses a different rear lamp with a different terminal that is only available from IM, formerly Mitsubishi. You can bodge it and connect directly to the car loom but bear in mind that you are on the outside of the vehicle and any connection needs to be waterproof.

The indicator and brake lamps are both 21w and stand out better than the side lamp, there is also a high level brake repeater at the top of the rear window.

Is the rear fog not just in the centre rather than in the main lamps as you suggested?

The other option would be to find a pair of mk4 Pajero rear lights which have all the features you mentioned.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="radiomike"]
Is the rear fog not just in the centre rather than in the main lamps as you suggested?

I will check it out when I get home. May be a previous owner has had a play with it as I did notice when I had a look that there was a large, strange looking LED in the body lights which I assumed to be the Fog light.

What do you mean in the centre for the fog? I am pretty sure mine are in the body lights.
radiomike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear fog is in the spare wheel cover just below the number plate.
Bradwell Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that you are correct Mike, the fog light is in the center of the spare wheel cover.
Authority924

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm that the fog light is in the center of the spare wheel cover.
woodie106

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 22:39    Post subject: Re: Rear Body lights on Mk 4 Reply with quote

Bradwell Boy wrote:
Can the rear body lights be used for Rear/brake and indicators?
Been looking around other sites and they suggest that all the wiring is already there. Seems crazy to me to have those nice big body lights just for fog and reversing.
I understand the reasoning behind using the bumper mounted lights with various regulations in other countries and the fact that if the tail gate is open during a breakdown/puncture during the hours of darkness it would obscure the O/S rear body light,  its the same situation for other 4X4s  troopers etc.
Is it realy as simple as getting bulb holders and fitting them?

Hi mate - its almost that simple. I had to buy the indicator lamp holders but the rear/ brake lights are just a question of a little soldering.
Ran a cable from the indicators in the bumper up to the indicators in the body lights.
Have had a couple of mk4 owners ask why my lbody mounted lights work & theres dont & they are quite surprised that i was able to re-wire & get them workimg with just a couple of bits off of amazon
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use my onw LED arrangements as they are much more reliable than bulbs and bulb holders as the holders corrode and cause high resistance problems while you can never effectively waterproof them, using LED arrays means you can use them and coat them with clear resin and totally waterproof them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: