Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Towing 2.5 Tons 2wd or 4wd? with a 2.5td LWB Pajero Exceed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hadleigh007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:37    Post subject: Towing 2.5 Tons 2wd or 4wd? with a 2.5td LWB Pajero Exceed Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm after some advice, in the near future I will be towing a 4x4 to off roading events. I want to use the Pajero 2.5td lwb exceed  as the tow vehicle and tow the modified off roader on a trailer. The gross weight of the off raoder and trailer will be 2.5-2.7 tons.

I have the same size wheels/tyres etc all round but have read about winding up the gearbox on tarmac because the 4x4 on the Pajero doesn't allow any slip, is this correct? or is it ok to put it in 4x4 high box to tow this kind of load? Don't fancy blowing a diff etc. but it would be good to spread the load over 4 wheels.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt there some rule about a 5 tonne "train" weight maximum! Confused
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have super select 4wd it says use 4h for towing,
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the mk3 on its recommended to use 4h when towing due to heat etc,however this does not apply to the mk2. Being realistic and taking safety into consideration,anything over 2t i would use 4h,not only does it spread the transmission strain/weight but also more stable and suited for that weight.So 4h all the way for safety and control Wink Loss in mpg is negligible as everything is turning anyway just not under load,better to be safe than sorry........
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procrastinator wrote:
Isnt there some rule about a 5 tonne "train" weight maximum! Confused

Only if test was taken post 97,max weight dependent on truck varies,swb is 2.5 or 2.8t where as the lwb varies from 3300kg up to 3.5t on later models.

So having my test pre 97 i can legally tow up to 3.5t in top of my truck weight.So my truck say is 2.5t +3.5t then 6t is perfectly legal for me.However i would not be too keen on towing that weight Laughing  the tail could wag the dog Laughing
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a nutshell ive towed with 2.5 2.8 and 3.0 pajero / shoguns loads that have far exceeded 2.5 tonne in 2wd no issues whatsoever its a case of use your loaf and dont drive like a prat  Wink , imho driving in 4wd while towing doesn`t make a kick in the ar5e difference .

rick.
Hadleigh007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

My test is also pre 1997 which certainly makes life easier. uktow.com suggests the kerbweight is 1904kg does this sound about right? In which case should be below 5 tons. There's no luggage and at most one other passenger and a handful of tools
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadleigh007 wrote:
My test is also pre 1997 which certainly makes life easier. uktow.com suggests the kerbweight is 1904kg does this sound about right? In which case should be below 5 tons. There's no luggage and at most one other passenger and a handful of tools

Mkes no odds if pre 97 Wink u can tow up to 3.5t legally
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1st Q if in 2h or or 4h on tarmac makes no odds as super selct,no transmission wind uo will be caused,only day sports and l200 are limited on tarmac to 2h,so 4h perfectly fine Wink
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2.8 towed this ....  edinburgh - settle - hull   in 2wd

and I tow this various places .. sometimes in 2wd, sometimes in 4wd - eg in rain etc

I tow quite a few vehicles, and generally use 4wd H in rain, snow etc ....  other wise 2wd

old 2.5 pulled this ......  Embarassed

mark " tug" dale
Hadleigh007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the kind of setup I'm hoping to have, nice to know the old girl will do it. If wind up isn't a problem I'll try both 2wd and 4H and see which she is most comfortable with although putting the power to all 4 wheels seems to make most sense to me, especially if you have a few steep hills to contend with.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has Super Select transmission then you can use 4H on the road, if its not super select then its 2H only, if you engage 4H you run the risk of transmission wind up and could do damage to the transmission transfer case, propshafts, UJ's, and the axles.

If you have Super Select then Mitsubishi recommends using 4H for towing weights over 1000Kg (1 tonne)

This is for several reasons; it spreads the driving force between all four wheels for reduced stress and wear, it will lock the electronic centre differential when it is needed and unlock it when it isn't needed as it uses a torque transfer system to split or proportion the driving power to each axle as it needs it; it splits engine power for braking to all four wheels for improved stability when the load pushes the vehicle when going downhill, and this prevents wheels locking or sliding as they can do easily if only 2 wheel drive is used.
Hadleigh007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you tell for certain if you have super select? It's a 91 model.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadleigh007 wrote:
How do you tell for certain if you have super select? It's a 91 model.

It should have being a mk2 paj

Does your 4wd stick have 2h/4h/4hlc/4hLlc on it

Basically when driving no more than 62/100kmph back off gas pudh forward into 4h and back on gas to avoid flashing lights,also works better warm than cold.System designed to change on move,so say 30mph change to 4h.If no SS then when cornering there will be resistance as none SS locks front and back together(same as centre diff lock or 4hlc).
2h- rear wheel drive
4h-4wd
4hlc-4wd with centre locked
4Llc-4wd Low ratio(has to be stopped and in N to select) and locked centre diff.

Being a 2.5 mk2 it will be a super select,ones that are not tend to be in say india etc where there are a few different specs.

If not 100% then change in 4h going slow.Then set off slow,turn and you will soon know as resistance from front/rear wheels will cause it to slow,if this the case then only use 2h on road,would say unlikely.The sports and l200 dont have SS so only use 4h off road.Look on your 4wd stick
Does it look like this
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a MK2 1991 is it this shape
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: