Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Super Select ATF change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick-b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 15:11    Post subject: Super Select ATF change Reply with quote

I decided that the ATF level might be low (a couple of instances when actual drive very briefly seemed absent, despite being in "D" and briefly on one occasion in "R") and upon examining that ATF which was barely registering on the dipstick, also long overdue for replacement. Never having done an ATF change I followed Assassin's helpfully detailed post on the required seemingly simple procedure.

Regrettably it seems only around 4l were ejected before the flow reduced to sporadic spurts of fluid (after circa 35 seconds of running the engine on tickover, in neutral) and very little subsequently drained from the transmission sump.

Thinking that the level of ATF was even lower than I had thought possible, I went ahead with adding 7l of fresh ATF -  yes, I'll admit this does with hindsight appear idiotic  Embarassed  but moving swiftly on, upon checking the level it was of course grossly overfilled, by perhaps as much as 2-3l which I pumped out, although I then had to further top up to get to the correct hot setting.

This clearly ought to be a really simple procedure and yet somehow I've possibly made an utter clusterf*ck of it so a couple of questions arise, given I'm thinking that I should drain the current mixture of part old, part new ATF:

Would having the front of vehicle elevated on ramps cause not all of the ATF to have pumped out?

Should I have continued to run the engine until there were absolutely no sporadic spurts of ATF being ejected, but in any event for no longer than 60 seconds?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 15:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I would not worry too  about the minor problem you have.   Not all of the ATF is ever drained as some always remains in the torque converter. The way you have done it is fine. General advice anyway  is,  after addition of new ATF , run it for a week or two and change again.

I have always cut the engine as soon as a full flow has ceased, so I dont think much is left after full flow is finished.

I do not think the raising the front of the vehicle would make any difference apart from maybe draining a little more from the sump.

If I were you I would give it a few miles or a week ot two and change  it again.
mick-b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for that - obviously I should have taken note of the volume pumped out and started by putting that amount back before adding incrementally to get back to full... Live & learn!

emax wrote:
Hello, I would not worry too  about the minor problem you have.   Not all of the ATF is ever drained as some always remains in the torque converter. The way you have done it is fine. General advice anyway  is,  after addition of new ATF , run it for a week or two and change again.

I have always cut the engine as soon as a full flow has ceased, so I dont think much is left after full flow is finished.

I do not think the raising the front of the vehicle would make any difference apart from maybe draining a little more from the sump.

If I were you I would give it a few miles or a week ot two and change  it again.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount pumped out varies with the condition of the pump and fluid; run the vehicle and heat the ATF and check the level correctly, too much and you have overfilled and can drop some out.

Follow the excellent advice of running it for a week and swap it again as it works on the dilution method anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: