eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Loosing control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredy

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51    Post subject: Loosing control Reply with quote

Morning people, need some advice please, i have a bit of an issue with my beast, 2005 3.2, last week i was driving normal and i took a right turn in the town centre, the beast lost control i virtually did a 360, it was not in full 4wd, at first i thought ground may have been slippery, it had rained, i drove home checked underneath everything seems all in order, anyway i have been coming off the motorway, onto the slip road, i have to slow down and the beast starts to judder a abit and it seems like i am losing control from the front side, it's hard to explain, it's  like she is on ice and i can feel her on the verge of slipping, only when the ground is wet, never had any issue like this before, i have recently changed the all brake pads, anyone have any ideas what this may be caused by, i have had a look at the discs at the front they seem in good order, thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the vehicle literally have the front, or rear, end slide? Turning right and doing a 360 degree spin would infer the rear end slid out and tried to overtake the front end.

If that is the case I'd be inspecting the tyre surfaces for signs of chemical or oil contamination.

If the vehicle didn't slide but skidded (i.e. left rubber on the road surface) then that might point to an issue with those recently changed brake pads. There is a specific procedure for changing them according to the manual - the most important of which is to NOT drive the fluid back up to the master cylinder but bleed it out the nipple on each calliper piston cylinder.
radiomike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a link to this specific procedure when retracting pistons, all I can see in the manual is a warning about changing pads on both sides?
Fredy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, Yes she slid, it was like the backside just lost it, luckily no other cars were present, but it was on the main road, with regards the brakes, yes i push the piston back in when changing the brakes, always have never have i had this before, driving wise, i have a heavy foot on the motorway, but like i said when on slip road and taking a right turn, it feels like the front end is losing traction, it's all good when i put it in 4wd, no issues it sticks to the road , it just when i turn, grip on the tyres is more than adequate, pressure all ok all round, it's happening when the ground has a bit of water on it and when i brake it feels like i will be losing control turning and if at speed when i brake again depending on the surface it feels like the front end will slip and front tyres are losing grip, sorry guys it's hard to describe, when it is dry i have all the traction and grip, i have only ever changes the ball joints and they seem in good nick, cv boots all good i think one may be loose, may have come off metal clip but no tears, discs seem in good order but the judder i think i may need new discs, had the beast over 4 years never been changed, thanks again people for the advice
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

2005 model year would be fitted with traction control/stability control I think? I wonder if that has been upset in some way?

@radiomike: A couple months ago I was reading the various 2001-2003 workshop manuals, TIM, etc., and their supplements in preparation for working on the parking brake and disc brakes on my 2003 facelift 3.5GDi and came across a couple of notes about not winding the brake piston back in as one would normal expect to do, but to bleed the excess fluid out the nipple.
I've not been able to find it now I'm looking for it but I have several versions of the workshop manuals so it's very possible I've not looked at the correct section 35, or more likely, a servicing/maintenance section, yet. I remember it because it stood out as so different to my expectation and made be wonder if the last time I had a garage replace the pads whether they were aware of this.
It is of course possible that I conflated it with procedures when replacing the callipers but my memory most definitely triggered an alert for me to be aware of this when next replacing disc pads!
Fredy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct, it has traction fitted, the only time it comes on for a few seconds is when going off the slip road or on the road when getting onto the motorway, again when it is damp, its only started like this recently since my 360
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible one of the differential locks is kicking in? It's difficult to imagine without experiencing it but if, for example, the rear differential lock kicked in something weird would happen. The other possibility could be if the vehicle has Super Select 4WD and the centre differential is kicking in. (On the transfer shift lever 4HLc or 4LLc engages  the centre diff but a bad electrical signal could be triggering it)
radiomike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
Is it possible one of the differential locks is kicking in? It's difficult to imagine without experiencing it but if, for example, the rear differential lock kicked in something weird would happen. The other possibility could be if the vehicle has Super Select 4WD and the centre differential is kicking in. (On the transfer shift lever 4HLc or 4LLc engages  the centre diff but a bad electrical signal could be triggering it)

2004MY onwards did not have a mechanical rear diff lock, they have M-ASTC which brakes a spinning wheel.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiomike wrote:
Have you got a link to this specific procedure when retracting pistons, all I can see in the manual is a warning about changing pads on both sides?

This has been niggling at me since you asked this since I could not find where I'd read about it! FINALLY this last week whilst doing a clean and service on all four wheels including new shoes and pads I found where I had read it!

It is in the Peter Russek Pocket Mechanic manual I bought from the owners club "Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun, Montero) 2.5, 2.8, and 3.2 litre Diesel/Turbo and 3.5 litre GDI V6 Engine" 1999 to 2003.

Section 10.2 Front Disc Brakes, 10.2.0 Replacing The Brake Pads, page 189:

"... A second person should observe the fluid level in the reservoir to make sure it cannot overflow

Slightly open the bleeder screw on the caliper and at the same time push the piston on the inside into the caliper, using a screwdriver, or a special piston re-set clamp, similarly as shown in Fig. 10.8. Tighten the bleeder screw before the pressure on the screwdriver or the clamp is released."

Considering this advice now it feels like they cut and pasted text from two alternative ways of doing the same thing.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted content since it was a duplicate due to a site gateway error.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could simply be the road surface, mine did similar and it was diesel on the road spilled out if an overfilled van or lorry.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could simply be the road surface, mine did similar and it was diesel on the road spilled out if an overfilled van or lorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: