QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2005 3.2 Di-D starts in 4HLc when 2H/4H is selected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacmanGoNomNomz

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 17:23    Post subject: 2005 3.2 Di-D starts in 4HLc when 2H/4H is selected. Reply with quote

Hi all.

I can't figure out where to start investigating this one.

If the Shogun has been sat for a while (couple of days+), when I come to start the car the SS indicator will give the dreaded flashing centre diff error (without the tyres being illuminated).

After a 10-20 mile trip, the next time I start the car the SS instrument would illuminate properly (either in 2H or 4H depending on what was selected).

It turns out that if this happens, if I key off, select 4HLc and restart the car then the SS instrument lights up and shows the centre diff is locked. Moving to 4H/2H causes the SS instrument to go into flashing centre-diff error mode.

So it appears the car is starting in the locked-diff mode and won't get out of it.

Any ideas why this might be happening and what can be done?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 17:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to determine is whether this is just indicators or the lock is actually engaged. If lock is engaged then its either a physical actuator or control unit issue. If only indicators that could be control unit or wiring/sensors.
PacmanGoNomNomz

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam_TJ wrote:
First thing to determine is whether this is just indicators or the lock is actually engaged. If lock is engaged then its either a physical actuator or control unit issue. If only indicators that could be control unit or wiring/sensors.

Thank you for the pointer.

Honestly this car absolutely baffles me at times.

I've just been playing about and it now appears to be working. For anyone else that has a similar problem here's what I did:

Started in 4HLc. Selected Neutral. Moved to 4H.... Flashing orange diff light of death.
Started in 4HLc again. Selected Drive (foot on brake). Moved to 4H. Worked. Moved back to 4HLc. Got 4 wheels illuminated and a flashing centre diff but like it was wanting to actuate but couldn't. Put it in Neutral. Worked.
Tried 4LLc. First time didn't work. Second time did.

Went through all the modes in Neutral (and Drive for non-Lc modes) about 20 times and not a single fault.

Now I'm going to leave it for a few days and see what happens.
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done an oil change or checked the level in the differential (and other units like transfer and transmission) ?
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have confused the system, let me explain.

These systems select the optimum time to change and to go from 2H to 4H you need to be travelling in a straight line on a trailing throttle and the system selects the time to change, similarly, you let each stage engage befoe selecting the next stage and go right through the system and note the vehicle must be in N before going into 4 LLC; many people try moving straight from 2H to 4LLC without letting each stage engage and this confuses a logical system and does certain things in the wrong order and get it wrong and it throws it out of sync and you basically have to reset the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: