Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Pajero cuts out when cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ste Bolton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:08    Post subject: Pajero cuts out when cold Reply with quote

Hi all,
Having some really painful problems with my L reg Pajero 2.8 TDi Auto.
When starting from cold it feels ridiculously underpowered, wont rev properly and just cuts out altogether when the revs drop in or out of gear.
This happens wether the choke is on or off.
You can feel when its going to stop, see the engine starting to die as the warning lights start to glow, then it just cuts out - no amount of gassing the accelerator will stop this happening.
You manage to kick it into nuetral and roll it to the side of the road cursing and get it to a standstill.
When you turn it over to restart it, it feels like it has been deprived of diesel. Takes a while to think about kicking back into life, as it starts to kick it needs the accelerator standing on - then it goes again.
If it's still cold, you go back to the start, getting another 1/2 mile down the road.
If its got to half way on the temp gauge it will run perfectly - until you let it go cold again.......
Saw a few postings in here, bought a full tank of diesel from the super pump at the Esso garage and added Redex to the Diesel. Have ordered a new air filter and will be fitting it tonight / tomorrow night. (Depending on the weather...)
Any other suggestions gentlemen?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Ste Bolton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:26    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Embarassed Ok, searched further on 'Cutting Out' and found probably more than I will need.
If anyone has any suggestions other than those already posted pls feel free to reply.......
All the best and keep up the good work.
wayne99

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

try searching for fuel pump, it sounds like the seals could have gone, fairly common on 2.8 , sorry but it will not be cheap to fix. Shocked
Treacle Miner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a quick idea, it is not always the pump, any air leak will cause this to happen - I changed my fuel filter and put a large jar of expensive injector cleaner from Halfords in my 2.8 and it cured it ( I tried the small redex first to no avail) - the last 4 weeks not once stopped but before that every morning in the same place, this is not to say its not the pump but do the easy things first - even a loose filter bleed screw will cause this,

I had all your problems re power etc and bought a egr blanking plate from the club shop as well - the b@#88fr555 thing will give you grief sooner or later anyway.

I am working on a modification to replace part of the pipe work with a clear section so that i can see if it has air bubbles in it as it is bound to happen again eventually.

Anyway the only sure thing is that something is leaking air.

cheers,

alan.
Ste Bolton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:23    Post subject: Cheers for that Reply with quote

The guy at my local garage had a brainwave whilst discussing the problem - fit a non return valve into the fuel line directly behind the pump.
This should stop ANYTHING including air from getting back into the line.
It only costs about £6 so told him to fit one anyway, while he is cleaning the fuel filters and replacing the air filter.
Been using Redex for a week now and it seems to have made little difference, maybe a bit more power.
Will definately try the Halfords injector cleaner and let you know how the non-return valve performs.
Thanks for the prompt replies guys.
Excellent club and forum. Glad I joined.
Buster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 23:38    Post subject: Cutting out Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
Just bought my first lwb Pajero 2.8 auto Exceed(1994 'L') and am very impressed. But just this morning driving to work, whilst slowing for traffic lights car cut out and took about 30 secs to re-start.This happened again on way home from work, both times the car was cold.On both occasions car cut out after brief acceleration, followed by applying brakes to slow down?
I've only had car since Tuesday and covered 130 miles prior to this without mishap.Any help appreciated.
Cheers Buster
Ste Bolton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 14:18    Post subject: Took a while Reply with quote

Hi All,
Well after loads of fannying about and trying all the different suggestions - Redex, Injector Cleaner, Parking on flat areas etc, etc. Embarassed
Some worked for a day or two but nothing worked for any length of time. Mad
It appears that when the fuel pump seals go, oil is allowed to get into the diesel fuel lines - this blocks the fuel filter causing the car to be deprived of fuel and cut out.
My theory Idea on why it only happens when cold is - Once the car warms up, the oil becomes more viscuous/thinner, allowing diesel and oil to be sucked/pushed through the fuel filter.
The easiest way to tell if it's letting oil into the fuel line is to whip the fuel filter out and see if it's blocked with oil. You can also cure it for short spells by changing the fuel filter.
But - as I said, nothing works for long.
I eventually cracked went down the financially painful Sad route of having the pump removed, reconditioned and refitted.
Surprisingly enough it works perfectly now...........
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This happens wether the choke is on or off.

Diesel engines don't have a choke ..
Thats the hand throttle lever ..!
Ste Bolton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 18:24    Post subject: Choke Reply with quote

Yep - Worked that out all on my little own Very Happy
Hugh Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 16:12    Post subject: fuel starvation Reply with quote

Just cured the problem on mine by removing the fuel tank inpection cover under the rear carpet. This gives access to the tank fuel gauge sender and the fuel pick up pipe and return pipe.

There are a ring of 8mm nuts holding the pick up and return pipe unit in place, sealed with a neoprene gasket. Remove the rubber pipes and tie back, clean the tank top with a small stiff nylon brush and vacuum cleaner to stop unwanted muck entering the tank.

The pipe unit will remove with a little careful lifting of the gasket along the threaded studs. At the bottom of the pick-up pipe is a lantern filter.
Mine was completely blocked with muck, and also the by-pass valve was full of muck and hair.

I was able to do a good clean up of all the gauze filter surface and the by-pass valve using Jizer degreaser. When it was all reassembled, the Pajero seemed like a different vehicle.

I took pics of the repair, but don't know how to post them here. Email me if you want to see them and I'll send them on.
The Lewis Mob

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good one for the tech faq if you could get the pictures uploaded Hugh.

Simon, any ideas?
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez guy's,i got a new baby and kittens. can i have a little time to myself? Shocked

just kiddin,here are some very nice pics

The Lewis Mob

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the pictures - might take a look at ours at some point just to check Laughing

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: