Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Tried veggie oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diddle

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 13:38    Post subject: Tried veggie oil Reply with quote

Well, I just wanted to share the experience with you all, in case anyone is interested in trying vegetable oil in their Paj. Last week, while v low on diesel and coincidentally passing a LIDL shop, the other half decided to take the plunge and buy some veg oil to try. We initially put in about 3 litres just to get us home, but we ended up having to go on an unexpected journey so we put in about another 5 litres. We then put in about 50 litres of diesel and topped up with oil, cos I was thinking of the recommendation I saw somewhere to run 20% veg oil. Just thought you might want to know of our findings anyway.

Well firstly, there seemed to be an immediate improvement in responsiveness at low speed, which I was pleasantly surprised with 8) . I've done about 350 kms now, both on country roads and motorways, and the second thing I've noticed is that the engine just seems to be running really sweetly. I can't describe it, but it seems to cruise better and even idle that bit better. The last (and possibly best) thing is that after 350 kms I'm over a quarter tank full. I consistently get around 350-400kms out of a tank, so I'm expecting that the fuel economy has definitely improved.

So all in all I'd recommend giving it a go 8)

Diddle Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 13:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ichandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 14:06    Post subject: beware the dreaded leak Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the fuel pump, particularly in cold weather - I found Lidl's vegetable oil started a leak at the top of the pump, possibly because the oil got thicker than ordinary diesel in the cold. But I too found that the engine ran very well on it - and the exhaust gave off a nice smell like frying chips ...
I have been wondering how sunflower oil would burn in a Paj; the Lidl oil I used to buy was soya bean oil

Incidentally the leak stoped when I stopped using veggie oil
Diddle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 14:55    Post subject: Re: beware the dreaded leak Reply with quote

ichandler wrote:
Keep an eye on the fuel pump, particularly in cold weather - I found Lidl's vegetable oil started a leak at the top of the pump

eeek! Thanks for the warning ichandler! What percentage of veg oil did you use? Do you reckon the 20% oil would have an effect on the pump?

Actually, speaking of emissions, we checked the exhaust briefly and also thought it seemed a bit cleaner. Then again, my Paj wasn't particularly dirty for the emissions so I don't know if it's just our imagination!

Diddle Wink
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem! ... of course, nobody's actually owning up to using discount veggie oil to run our motors on the public highway in a public forum are we ... it's just an account of what we heard a friend tell us about their experience ... and of course, your friend sent in the duty on the veggie oil right?

8)

Simon Wink
Diddle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem, thanks for alerting me to that Simon ..... it was of course a friend who told me about it. I took the creative liberty of putting the post into the first person Laughing

My friend also has the cheque in the post for the customs 8) (altho in relaity she doesn't actually know where she would even post such a cheque to even if she wanted to!)

Diddle Wink
EvilEd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame it on Trig, They'll have fun trying to test his Paj... Smile
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunflower oil works very well. Probably the best to use is rape seed oil which is from those horrible stinky crops that badly affect hayfever sufferers! So long as there is some diesel to lower the viscosity of the oil then the fuel pump thing shouldn't be an issue. After all, the fuel pumps cope with diesel in extremely cold climates where the viscosity of the diesel will be even higher than that of veg oil in our climate. What I've found works really well (in controlled experiments off the public highway of course) is rape or sunflower oil thinned slightly. I've done the thinning with different solvents - namely methanol, ethanol, white spirit, parafin and petrol. I've found that less than 1% solvent reduces the viscositty quite a bit and works out cheap. Running 99% veg oil to 1% parafin and 0% dino diesel has worked well for me. Zero black smoke and a far nicer smell to boot.
jackasss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m up for trying this on my 94 2.5TD. D,ya wait till ya tanks empty of diesel before you put it in or can you mix it together.
Tester

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course you could have paid the duty so posting on here wouldn't be a problem Wink

Nige
alan

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
If I went along and filled up at my local bio fuel station with
bio fuel I beleive I would be given a receipt with my car reg: on it showing that I had paid the duty
If I were silly enough then to use the duty paid bio fuel and fill up from the
local shop is there any way it could be detected in my tank as diferent
to the genuine thing ????????????????/

Alan Embarassed
GeoffL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan wrote:
Hi all,
If I went along and filled up at my local bio fuel station with
bio fuel I beleive I would be given a receipt with my car reg: on it showing that I had paid the duty
If I were silly enough then to use the duty paid bio fuel and fill up from the
local shop is there any way it could be detected in my tank as diferent
to the genuine thing ????????????????/

Alan Embarassed

Probably, yes. Also, you have to consider just how old a receipt could be before HMC&E refused to believe that it applied to the fuel currently in your tank.

FWIW, Customs & Excise gave one guy in Wales a scare even though he'd registered and payed the duty. See the first visit under "taxation" on his website (http://www.bio-power.co.uk/). Basically, they turned up mob-handed with a mobile chemistry lab Rolling Eyes

BTW, has anyone actually run a 2.8 TD on bio-diesel for long enough to know whether it can damage your engine?

Geoff
pdwiggy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can pay the duty on veg oil, lard or whatever you run in the local post office though I doubt very much the old girl behind the counter would know what you talking about let alone find the forms! How long each tankfull last you is a different matter Laughing
Diddle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that customs and excise story is a bit mad alright ..... they had records of his e-mails and he thinks they taped the conversation Shocked . If only they did the same for murderers eh Confused

What annoys me tho is that it seems that a lot of people would like to convert for the sake of the environment etc, and there's no easy way to do it, no financial incentives, no education, no easy way to be honest about it and pay the damn tax etc. I'm not in the UK but it's even worse here, even our Green party website has nothing about alternative fuels, but there's plenty of people giving out about 4x4s on the roads using fossil fuels Rolling Eyes .

Sorry for the rant, I just think it's a bit ridiculous, especially now that we can actually see the effects of global warming with all the mad weather and floods and stuff.

As for using the veggie oil, I think I'll keep throwing in a few litres here and there and I might even look into a full conversion.

@jackass - I put in a few litres when the tank was all but empty, and then filled the rest with diesel. I don't know if it matters all that much cos they all get mixed around together anyway.

Diddle Wink
Felix
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this:

http://www.vegburner.co.uk/oils.htm

for all the information you need on using alternative fuels for your off highway experimentation. Wink
ichandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diddle, it occurred to me - is it worth using veggie oil in Ireland?

There is a temptation to use the stuff in Britain because diesel costs the equivalent of about Euros 1.20 a litre - I thought it was much cheaper in the Republic, hence the smuggling of diesel oil over the border into Northern Ireland.

In France diesel is much cheaper too - it is only the wretched government here that seems to regard motor transport as some sort of sin to be discouraged by punitive tax.

When I used the stuff in my Paj I never properly measured the proportions. And I also got fed up with having to get rid of the huge pile of plastic litre bottles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: