eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Clear Rear Lights MOT Warning/Advice !!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remixer

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks homie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 20:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

davidvh2

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that amongst such an inventive crowd of guys that nobody's suggested the use of ripe tomato skins. They produce a perfectly good red light when placed over the bulbs. Anyone not accepting that should simply accept the law & take it (you can't leave it or you'll get caught-----one day maybe anyway. LOL
Tazman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if anyone still reads this thread but here goes. I have just fitted clear rears to my Paj and I think they look great, I just need to get the orange lenses out of the front units - I have fread that you can heat them up to loosen the glue and pull them apart? anyone know? A shame because you can see the screw heads that hold the orange bit in place!!!

On another note, a friend has a Chevrolet sorry Dawoo Matiz and its rear lights has no E marking that I couls see - does this mean they are not legal?
davidvh2

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm obviously missing something here? Taking out the orange (presumably you actually mean the "amber" lenses) used as the indicator lamps. Why? Aren't you planning on indicating any time soon? Or maybe you've gone to the trouble & fitted amber bulbs? Can't see the point myself but everyone to his own. I'd rather spend the money on flushing my system properly which so few do & later get caught up with overheating problems. And the fronts? You planning on changing them too? They need to be "E-Marked” otherwise an observant tester will fail it on an MOT (or ITV if you're in Spain).
Tazman

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused now, the rear lights use clear plastic with coloured bulbs, as do the side repeaters. The fronts are clear with Orange not amber inserts.

I haven't said I am not going to indicate any time soon ????

I will be fitting chrome bulbs that light up orange for the indicators and red for the tail/stop/brake lights.

I'm glad you can't see the point as you won't be copying me Very Happy

I'm just curious about the E marking or lack of it, like I said the Matiz has the plastic that is 100% see through with the lens pattern built into the base of the light - if you understand what I mean?? There is no E mark that I can see??
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question about the front indicators but I do have the clear rear clusters which my vehicle had fitted when it came from Japan.  I had to have the SVA as the vehicle was less than 10yrs old and the SVA is very strict and will not accept any non-standard accessories.

I replaced one of the reversing lights with a red bulb to a new switch for the rear fog as the SVA does not accept the additional fog light under the bumper option which most people go for.  Anyway, my point is:  If the clear clusters were accepted for the SVA and MOT then they must be road legal although I don't know if they have an E number as this was not specified.

On the front the lights are standard but the vehicle arrived from Japan with light guards which go over the headlamps & indicators, giving the illusion of square flush lamps.
http://snap27.photobox.co.uk/8209785480fb1dd55508989d85e15c5bb7dcfc8ee784cff81f34f341.jpg
http://snap27.photobox.co.uk/96466049e14e3599f8f7e614f103a02aebfb0d30c9aa19fe63085e40.jpg

Personally, I love the look of the clears but at the end of the day it's down to personal taste isn't it?   Laughing  Laughing
Tazman

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats one nice looking Paj, I love the rear spoiler and the Jaos mudflaps
pile driver

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have clear rear lights on my Golf mk1 Gti cabby i have stuck on some red reflectors close to the number plate surround and the lights are LED i have up to now had no problems with plod or mot i think as long as the reflectors can be seen then i cant See how this sort of rear lighting can be frowned upon?
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazman wrote:
Thats one nice looking Paj, I love the rear spoiler and the Jaos mudflaps

Missed your post all that time ago, but thanks, I love the spoiler too although my mudflaps have been resident in the garage since they were ripped off when I let him indoors drive offroad and he got her stuck in serious mud and we only recovered three.  All the accessories including the bull bars and underbody guards are Jaos!  I'm gutted cos I've got to sell her in September  Sad  as moving to Cyprus.  If you know anyone who might be interested in a 3.5 SWB point them in my direction please  Wink
Pazman

Zodiac: Gemini
Location: Westlands, Newcastle under lyme. Staffordshire. United kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

In relation to the issue of the clear rear lights, may I pass on a few words of wisdom / knowledge.
Ideally, they should be E marked especially for MOT purposes. Secondly, if you have clear or smoked tail lights, you MUST have a pair of red rear reflectors.
As to being pulled over by the law, and to be told that you were not allowed to drive any further with the clear lenses in place.......what a load of......!!!!!!!!
I am a police officer, and so have had more than enough input into construction and use regulations to last a life time. bandhead
I have a life outside work, and I will also be getting some clear lenses in due course. Wink
61jason61

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormy Stormrider wrote:
despite all this, where can I get some clear rear clusters for mine ??

http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=7021
muddyricer

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot iof mis-information here. There is no requirement in the MoT test for tail lights (or any other component) be E marked. On a modern passanger car the test only requires the prescence, acceptable condition and correct operation of 2 red position lamps, 2 red stop lamps (if there is a 3rd it has to work) 2 red reflectors, 2 amber direction indicators (which also usually double as hazard lights) a lamp to illuminate thr number plate and one red fog lamp on the offside. They should be mounted reasonably symmetrically one on each side of the vehicle, be facing rearwards and be visible from a reasonable distance. No lamp should show white light to the rear. (reversing lamps excluded, and are not included in the test) A lamp should not be obscured by another component by more than 50% of it's visible lit area and if it has more than 1 light source inside, at least 50% should be working. That's all. If a tester ever fails your car for any other reason other than the above, demand to see the reason for refusal stated in the VOSA MoT inspection manual.
alan9362

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more of the e marking definition is below

Below is the actual EU definition of what the E marking means on a lamp

An E-mark guarantees an automotive product complies with European vehicle legislation. In the UK, national implementation of Construction and Use Regulation 95/54/EC has made it a criminal offense to use a car with a non-E-marked part fitted.

The automotive bulb market is covered by Regulation No. 37, revision 4, defining which bulbs necessitate an E-mark. In general, bulbs that are fitted in external positions on a vehicle must abide by this legislation, although some interior lamps, for example those used in the courtesy lights on the vehicle doors, also require approval.

Furthermore any lamp unit that is E-marked must have E-marked bulbs fitted. The number accompanying the E-mark is not an indication of the quality of the product, a common misconception, but indicates the country in which the testing took place. All countries test the bulbs in the same way against the same standards, ensuring uniformity of the bulbs. Consequently no individual E number can be associated with any superiority in quality.

E1 Germany, E2 France, E3 Italy, E4 The Netherlands, E6 Belgium, E9 Spain, E11 United Kingdom, E13 Luxembourg, E18 Denmark, E21 Portugal, E23 Greece, E24 Ireland, etc.

The main checks performed to assess E-mark applicability for bulbs include:

• Dimensional checks ensure a tolerant lamps beam pattern

• Electrical checks certify that the power of the lamp does not exceed the rated value

• The brightness of the bulb, rated in Lumens, is appraised by photometry inspection

• Colour temperature tests check that the colour of the light emitted from the bulb is predominantly white.

It is important to note that life cycle is not part of E-mark testing and therefore differs greatly between manufacturers. It is essential to pick a well-respected brand in order to assert confidence in the longevity of the bulbs.

A legitimate E-marked bulb will have numerous details stamped upon it. These include the E-number followed by a 3 digit approval code unique to the manufacturer and product. The trade mark or brand name should also be issued, along with the rated volts, watts and the letter U if the lamps UV output is tolerable. If the bulb does not possess these stamps, there is a good chance the E-mark is not legitimate.

This seems open to interpretation as to whether fitting an E marked bulb into a non E marked body is legal or not, the reason i say this is , if you buy an imported vehicle as a lot of us have, none of the lights etc will have E markings. So by the definition given above we are driving illegal vehicles !!

If it bothers you that much drop VOSA an email and ask for clarification from them as they are the enforcing agency...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> MOT / Servicing Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: