Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Emissions cheat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 23:54    Post subject: Emissions cheat! Reply with quote

Does anyone have access to an emissions tester as used for MOT's?

At MOT time both of our Metros just manage to scrape through the Co2 test. Apparently it's a common problem with the K series SPI.

Today was the day for the Cabrio one and as usual it showed up a bit high on the tester - nothing else wrong with the car at all.

Bit of head scratching went on, then one of the blokes in the MOT bay came up with his 'trick of the trade'..............

During the test, switch on anything electrical all at once and as suddenly as your dexterity allows.......... Wipers, heater, lights, hazards, whatever........He reckons the current surge fools the Lambda sensor into a false reading. Anyway, like magic the reading came down and I got my ticket!

Is this a fluke or is the trick based on any known science?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 23:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nev garland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we talking mini metro,s Question Question
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very same... Only they stopped calling them Mini Metro when the K series came in.

Missus loves 'em and the Cabrio is rare enough to hold it's value too!
cargrabber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd knows why Laughing Laughing Laughing Or is the value that low that it can't go down any more Very Happy Laughing Twisted Evil
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon I have to say something in the poor old Metro's defence before this thread drops off the screen.

We've had at least one on the family fleet for at least 10 years.

Every one reliable and you understand the meaning of the expression 'Cheap as Chips' when you see a Metty in the auction ring.

Year for year about half the price of a Fiesta and you can keep your street cred intact with an MG version!

The Cabrio was an impulse buy at the auction - very rare (just a couple of hundred made) and from a fun point of view it's probably the best grandsworth of car we've ever bought.

The Metro Owners website - yes there is one and it's not one of Simon's -
says that the 1.8 engine out of an MG will fit - Or 140 bhp of Honda V-Tec at a push So I may have a winter project coming on!
truckmender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, regarding the emissions on your and other cars, we have an MOT centre next to our workshops and in discussing this with the MOT lad there he tells me that there are a few tricks to get cars through the emissions test, however - very soon the ministry (now called VOSA) are introducing a fully electronic system for emissions, the tester will be unable to perform various tweaks as the testing machine is online with VOSA direct and these "tweaks"will be accounted for in the software for the particular vehicle, if the car passes the machine will print out a complete certificate, the tester will not be writing it as before, all he will have to do is sign it, methinks big brother is catching up and fast. Rolling Eyes
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Truckmender,

Sounds like an alarm call to sort my emissions before the next MOT then!
M3 EVJ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always hammer it up the road first, this helped before on my Fiesta Si. Twisted Evil Or you can take another car that you know has passed the emissions instead and just use those results, probably Question Question Question . Or buy a BMW, mine has never varied in any MOT since new, not bad for a ten year old car with 140k on it!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Other vehicles technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: