QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR and head gaskets.. a Poll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:51    Post subject: EGR and head gaskets.. a Poll Reply with quote

Having just had to replace my cylinder head and head gasket, and having had the EGR valve blocked for 2 years I was wondering how many other people who have blocked their EGR valves have had Head Gasket or Cylinder head failures.

I know that the EGR valve has the effect of lowering the combustion temperature at high revs and that high temperatures will stress the head gasket and cylinder head possibly causing a failure.

If we can get some figures for people who have blocked EGR and had problems agianst those who have blocked EGR having no problems, and also the number of people who have had gasket/head failures without blocked EGR valves then we may be able to prove if their is any correlation between EGR blocking and higher chance of Gasket/Head failure. This would be useful to people considering the mod or who have carried it out and are concerned of the increased risk.

Hopefully there is no correlation as the Paj certainly seems to benefit from blocking the EGR!

Have a Merry Xmas Very Happy

James
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Crazy dog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:56    Post subject: EGR valve blocking Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your news..expensive business as I can cetainly relate to. Had to replace the cylinder head on my last 2.5 Pajero, owing to Balance belt failure which took out the cambelt too.
You don't say if you drive a 2.5 or 2.8, so can you please inform us?

Ian
1994 2.8 Exceed LWB
jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 13:01    Post subject: EGR a Poll Reply with quote

sorry I have a 2.5, the 2.8 seems to suffer pump failure but is goood on head and gaskets (must be those ceramic inserts!)

James
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy ...

you may be barking up the wrong tree ...

Without a massive response, you could collerate almost anything ... (OK ... hands up, I have a maths degree!).

You could, for example collerate the following :

cylinder head failure with the 2.5 engine (good, as there seems to be a direct colleration) ...

cylinder head failure with recorded miles (also good, as it seems to fail on higher mileage vehicles)

cylinder head failure with sex of owner (looks good, as the majority (not all!) of PJ owners are male, but obviously has nothing to do with it!)

Blocking the EGR valve performs a specific function ... it stops hot exhaust gases from being constantly recirculated back through the engine ... as the engine works most efficiently with cold air input, this can only be a good thing.

I suspect that the need to block the EGR valve is directly related to subsequent cylinder head failure, not the actual blocking of the EGR valve.... ie, there was an original underlying problem that causes the later failure.

Simon
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had no egr plate and my cylinder head went on a 2.5,under warranty so thankfull for that
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cylinder head & blanking plate for EGR valve are not related, never have been, newver will be, and never want to be related, just like me and my brothers !!

Nothing to do with the head problem what so ever, and in my opinion, one of the most common failure of head gaskets is: people relying on the temp gauge to much, on the 2.5, it is very very common for the temp gaufge to only go to half, whenit fact, you could make frothy coffee on the steam coming out of the head, and you dont see it.

Heads, best place by far at the moment, Milner, complete full kit availible.

Have fun.
Mork

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie wrote:
Cylinder head & blanking plate for EGR valve are not related, never have been, newver will be, and never want to be related, just like me and my brothers !!

Nothing to do with the head problem what so ever, and in my opinion, one of the most common failure of head gaskets is: people relying on the temp gauge to much, on the 2.5, it is very very common for the temp gaufge to only go to half, whenit fact, you could make frothy coffee on the steam coming out of the head, and you dont see it.

Heads, best place by far at the moment, Milner, complete full kit availible.

Have fun.

Interesting point about the temp gauge. Is it the gauge that goes or the sender/sensor in the block? Where is the best place to get new ones...Milners???? How much are they?

thanks
jimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:45    Post subject: EGR valves and Cylinder Head/gasket failures Reply with quote

Richie, the EGR valve failing to work can cause the head to crack and/or the head gasket to fail. The exhaust gases being fed back into the combustion chamber have the effect of cooling the combustion temperature significantly, if the engine has been designed to work at these lower temperatures then blocking it off will lead to premature failure. This is usually seen as a burn through in the head gasket near to a hot spot.

For the 2.5 4D56 engine the fact that the cylinder head and block are of different metals also means that if the combustion is hotter and the cooling system weak then the amount of expansion difference the Head Gasket has to deal with is greater again possibly leading to premature failure.

However having done some research in the 4D56 engine it seems that not all are fitted with EGR valves suggesting that they are being fitted to reduce NOx output from the engine (the lower combustion temperature prevents NOx) being produced, and not to keep the head expansion and hot spots within tolerance.

I agree the the cooling system is a likely root cause as the guage does not show reliable temp readings until it is too late Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: