Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Cold starting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 22:19    Post subject: Cold starting Reply with quote

Hello,
Can anyone help, i've read most of the other cold start and glow plug problems, but my problem is, I have replaced the glow plugs and the buss bar is fine, but I am not getting any power to them, I have checked back to a silver box (approx 3inx2in) just next to the smaller battery. What i have done is unplug this to test continuity from the fuse box, i have found the negative side but cannot find the positive, any ideas. please help the wife recons i have bought a right lemon. Cheers jim
james_ingleton@hotmail.com
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 22:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the club.
Have you checked the fusible link for the glo system?? its an 80amp link that is located in a small black box attached to the + terminal of the battery,if this has gone then you wont get any + outputs on any of the glo circuits components,also check the normal fuses as well,theres a diagram of the fuse locations here http://www.pocuk.com/faq/fuses.htm hope this helps atb

Marc 8)
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 23:00    Post subject: cold start Reply with quote

Cheers for the rapid reply marc this site is excellent,
I have checked all the fuses and all are fine, the negative from the silver box(what is this ?) i have traced back to the fuse in the top right hand corner of the engine bay diagram you showed me but as i say i cant find a positive do you know where this comes from. cheers mate, jim Confused
marcsparks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the box is u describe,iveseen the one u mean tho,the actual ecu for the glo circuit (well glo controller) is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side footwell,thats the main brain of it, if that says go it goes.
Have u checked the 2 glo plug relays ,located near enough above the silver box,2 round things look like ignition coils u would find on a petrol motor,they are also a prone p[point of problems too i think,ive seen a thread similar to this on here ile see if i can find it and post it up for u.

Marc 8)
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 23:21    Post subject: cold start Reply with quote

Hello marc cheers for your help, 8) Smile
Can you suggest the best way to test the relays, i havn,t got a clue the last engine i played with was about 15yrs ago on a ford cortina, thanks jim
COOKIE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
I gather yours is a 2.5-you say you've replaced the glow plugs and the buss bar is fine,but as marc suggested have you checked the two glow plug relays.If they're clicking on and off straight away,this is not necessarily an idication that there is anything wrong with the relays or the control unit etc. What plugs did you put in?
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 19:39    Post subject: cold start Reply with quote

Hi cookie, cheers for your reply,
The glow plugs that i fitted work if i use a jump lead from the buss bar direct to the battery and then starting the car as usual, so i think that they are ok. The problem seems to be there is no power getting to them, also no glow plug light on the dash or any sound of the relays kicking in, although when the car is started it repeatedly double clicks about 8 times. Next to the 2 relays that look similar to coils there are 1 small black plastic relay with 2 black wires going to the glow plugs, and next to this is a metal box approx 3x2inches 1inch thick with 2 thick wires one black and one black with red line along it. These go to a multi plug and the black wire goes th the fuse box but i cannot find were the red lined wire goes. I think this is possibly were the fault lyes any help would be much appreciated Confused Rolling Eyes Thanks for yor help, jim

Assumption is the mother of all cock ups! cheers
COOKIE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
Be careful,by using jump leads straight to the buss bar you could burn out your plugs-but I expect you already know that.
What have you got,because if it's a 2.5 mk.1 or 2,most-if not all-don't have a glow plug light on the dash.
As for the wiring-can't say without seeing it.
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 20:11    Post subject: cold start Reply with quote

hello cookie,
My paj is a 2.5 td on a K mk 2 i think, sqare headlights not round? jim
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 20:18    Post subject: cold starting Reply with quote

Thats sqUare not round........sorry
Byway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

James

Assuming you have a Mk2 2.5TD then I have had similar problems so read on. K reg should be Mk2 (some H reg mk 2s but due to the peculiarities of importing I would not rely too heavily on that). Expect quick heat type plugs and no warning light on the dash.

If you have replaced your glow plugs and the relay worked OK before but not now I would suspect the glow plugs being the wrong resistance for the control module, not the relay. However, there are a couple of tests you can do...

There are 2 relays aft of the battery which give power to the glow plugs. The one nearest the wing comes on and off after the engine has started but not beforehand. This seems to work even with the wrong plugs on mine. The one nearest the engine is the pre-heating one. Check this by starting the engine from cold (easier said than done, I know) and then using a test bulb or meter to measure the output from the relay. You can also tell simply by putting your finger on the top of the relay and feel which relay is clicking. The terminal of each relay nearest the engine should be the output, the one nearest the battery is the feed - but check by using a test bulb/meter before you start.

[1] Assuming the relay nearest the engine is the pre-heat one then turn the ignition switch and if no relay clicks use the test bulb/meter to check the feed to the relay - it should be live, if not the 80A fusible link is not intact or the connection between the 2 is broken. (You could try shorting the relay feed from the battery + then try to start again and see if this gives a click from the preheat relay - if it does then the problem is confirmed as the fusibale link or connections from it. BUT beware of shorting things round fuses since there might be a good reason why they blew!)

[2] If it is live then remove the switching circuit wire from the relay (the thinner one nearest the back of the car) and use a jump lead to briefly put 12V to the connection on the relay you took the wire from. If the relay clicks it must have been that there was no signal from the control module but it is worth checking the relay also.

[3] You can check the relay is working by connecting a test bulb/meter to the output of the relay then watching for it to go live when you jump 12V to the control module wire (input) to make the relay click.

[4] Now reconnect the wire from the control module.

[5] If you still have the old plugs, even if these do not work well as plugs they may still make the control module work the relay OK so if you replace the old plugs and the pre-heat relay does click on for 4 or 5 seconds then the plugs are the likely problem. Mitsi ones cost £160 per set and you need to give the full chassis number to get the right ones, assuming the engine is the original, of course.

HTH

cheers
Byway
marcsparks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a post in the tech faq that contains this picture this shows the relays etc so may benefit some who are having trouble identifying them

Marc 8)
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 20:40    Post subject: cold starting Reply with quote

cheers for your help lads, i'll give it a try this weekend and let you know how i get on, jim
jamesingleton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 15:26    Post subject: cold starting Reply with quote

Hello,
I have spent the morning trying to sort this out, I have changed the 12v plugs that were in there for 6.2v glow plugs. Also took the glow plug control unit out to test but first connected the live back to the relays and this energised them so they work ok, then plugged the control box back in and the relays appearedto work. The trouble now is that the glow plugs only heat for approx 1-2 secs. I have also replaced the temp sender unit with a second hand one as the old one was cattle trucked. Any help with why the plugs are only on for a couple of secs will be much appreciated. Cheers Jim
Byway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds very similar to the problem a number of us are having with certain 2.5 Mk 2 Pajs at the moment - the 2 solutions so far found have been to use genuine Mitsi plugs at about £160 or to remove the carbon build up that may be fouling the plugs.

cheers
Byway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: