QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Basic kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tester

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43    Post subject: Basic kit Reply with quote

It's time i went and got all dirty, but before i do what is the minimum kit I should take? I intend on doing it gently to start with - that Yorkshire run recently looked the mutts nuts!

Have GPS, rugs, flasks, warm clothes, 2 mobiles on different contracts, spare diesel and oil, 2 way radios, shovel and shod with BFG AT's already.

So I am thinking of getting a good tow rope/web thingy - which one?
What else is essential (hope to go on organised trip) and not get her scratched !!

TIA

Nige
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

chris_k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 14:59    Post subject: off roading Reply with quote

You sound full of equip. I bought a tow rope and shackels and ended up using it to pull 5 cars out who had parked nose first on a slopping wet field at Chatsworth Garden Centre last year.
rope and shackles cost just under £40 but it had an 8 tonne load capacity. don't buy the Halfords ropes they are only for towing average vehicles with no resisitance. (2 tonnes)
Good luck with the off roading.
Adrian V8 90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to have most of the essential kit.
For recovery your best piece of kit is 8 tonne capacity
tow rope & a couple of decent sized shackles.
As Chris_k says beware of car towing ropes.

Adrian.
miniman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i buy a couple of shackles ?

1 am nr bath

miniman
chris_k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 18:04    Post subject: shackles Reply with quote

I got my rope and shcakles from here. Down the road from you in Tiverton.

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 19:50    Post subject: First for off road Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad .........its full of L Lan Land Landrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noop still can't say it you been to a breakers or summat Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
Irish Mud Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 22:44    Post subject: Re: Basic kit Reply with quote

Tester wrote:
It's time i went and got all dirty, but before i do what is the minimum kit I should take? I intend on doing it gently to start with - that Yorkshire run recently looked the mutts nuts!

Have GPS, rugs, flasks, warm clothes, 2 mobiles on different contracts, spare diesel and oil, 2 way radios, shovel and shod with BFG AT's already.

So I am thinking of getting a good tow rope/web thingy - which one?
What else is essential (hope to go on organised trip) and not get her scratched !!

TIA

Nige

Change of underwear for that first mistake you make help
nz3500

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to go where you wont get scratched you probably will not need much equipment. You have a responsible set.
The "tow rope" choice for off road is a recovery strap (some are now ropes but they all have stretch). These things stretch up to 20% so the tow vehicle can drive at speed with some slack in the rope and the strap then stretches before you start to move. The pulling force is multiplied but is surprisingly gentle. Scares the hell out of you though as the other vehicle roars away and you envisage your cars front end being torn off.
You do not need to do a bungy tow so the straps are fine for a slow pull as well. Wouldn't want to do a bungy tow wtih some tow points either.
The recovery straps are not good for long distance towing.
If you have a towbar remove the towball and use the bar as a tow point unless you already have hooks. Do not attach to the towball unless it is just a pull (not a bungy).
Take something to lie on in the mud when you are trying to find a tow point. Towel is handy then too.
Tell someone where you went and when expected back.
Take a friend.
A sense of humour and patience.
Tester

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks,

Think i'll go for the towsure strap:
4mtr Heavy Duty Tow Strap
Uses two 'D' links to fasten to exsisting towing eyes. Has maximum towing capacity of 4000kgs on level ground - should this be good enuff to start as i'll just be green laning I expect? Or should I pay out top dollar straight away??

Cheers

Nige
John Pugh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the weight of the Paj, but get something rated at about 4 times that. Having said that, my motor weighs in at 1250kg, loaded, and my ropes have a 8ton breaking strain. You find that you carry more stuff as time goes on. Something breaks, so you carry one of those. Something wears out unexpectedly, so one of those goes in too. So, don't rush into getting everything at once. Have a look at what others carry, especially owners of other Paj's.
Regards,
noiseboy72

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most important bit, a second vehicle !
A few off road tips:
If you are doing it properly, you should not have mud and kak all over the car. Spinning wheels are not helping with either traction or good track user relations.

Take it easy, Slow and steady will prevent youu from embedding your pride and joy in something nasty. You can then reverse out of trouble.

Walk any bit of track you are unsure about. I once saw a Vitara drive / slither down a track that was impassable further down the valley. We waited for him to return so we could winch him back up.

HTH
Tester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, sound advice.

I've driven over sand a bit, so can appreciate that if the wheels are spinning i'm getting in deeper!

Now looking forward to the muddy stuff.

Nige
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: