eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oil Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m8ee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 16:49    Post subject: Oil Leak Reply with quote

I have an oil leak coming from the back of the engine on my 2.8 td. It seems to be coming from either the crankshaft oilseal or maybe the sump.
Does anyone know if there are any common faults with these engines regarding leaks. Overnight there is a patch about the size of a 2 pence piece on the floor.
If it is the crank seal is this a big job i.e expensive.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 16:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

theboatpainter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi m8ee
Its not leaking, it's just marking it's territory.
Check up top first, rocker box, filler cap etc and hope that its one of these, as you drive most leaks tend to migrate to the rear of the engine and end up dripping of the back of it. Sump ain't to bad once you've got it off, but rear seal is a big job, flywheel off etc.
Good luck
John.
m8ee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another look and the turbo seems to be leaking oil as well....Looks like i've bought a nail Sad
carlyoungie1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most common place for oil leaks on both the 2.5 and 2.8 td engines is at the back of the rocker cover. There is a half moon seal at the back and this usually causes problems. When mine went i thought i had major problems but the fan was blowing all the oil around the engine mainly against the bulkhead and down the turbo. It is worth cleaning the engine first and then checking for leaks, put your hand down the back of the rocker cover, if there is oil on your fingers then this is probably the cause. I presume the correct amount of oil is in your engine and not been overfilled. Worth checking this before you start spending money. The half moon seal is about £2.50 from MMC. If it is this then it is also worth buying a rocker cover gasket as well.
CARL.
m8ee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had car back. Changed crank seal and half moon seal on back of rocker, but its still leaking. Looking into the engine bay the top left hand side of the bellhousing seems to be wet so i take it its above that. Underneath the bottom of the bellhousing is where its ending up and dripping. About the size of a 2p piece after each run.
Any ideas?
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the rocker cover gasket changed as well? as carl said b4 they are prone on the 2.5 and 2.8 atb marc
akbrown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 19:56    Post subject: oil leaking left side Reply with quote

my 2.5 has the same. traced leak to oil feed line (metal) for the turbo situated under inlet manifold at the back. Difficult to see but from underneath I could see the misted area on the block, oil drips down collecting on the housing. At the same time the dip stick seal had gone leaks from both sides B.nightmare, now the head` gasket Bu**er it! Crying or Very sad
mamir01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 19:01    Post subject: Oil Leak Reply with quote

HI,

I was a victim of mistrust and dishonesty when I bought my Paj 2.8. I am pretty sure the symptoms you have are similar to what I had and after spending over 200 pounds I found out that the leak was indeed coming from my turbo charger and following around the intercooler pipes onto the engine. I had my turbo reconditioned which cost me 500 pounds and paid another 200 pounds to the mechanic to take it off and fix it back once reconditioned. Now after a 2 months of driving no signs of leaks anywhere but almost spent 1000 pounds on it to get it back on the road.

Sorry to give you the bad news but best to get it checked from a mitsubishi garage and they will tell you exactly what the fault is. To this day I curse the old man who sold me this beautiful vehicle but thank God no more major faults after that and its certainly a joy to drive this beast.

Amir Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: