QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

WARNING - dont remove your steering wheel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRayner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:40    Post subject: WARNING - dont remove your steering wheel Reply with quote

Just had a very expensive expierence with my Paj.

took it to our local garage to put it through it's first MOT since owning it, and it passed on everything except for the horn was not working, so the mechanic said what had happend was under the steering wheel was a metal ring that pushes against a brass rod that makes a contact and makes the horn work, the brass rod had dropped and stopped the horn from working, and did they want me to get them to do the job or will I sort it myself.

Now I'm not a very mechanical minded person but thought "what the hell, take off the steering wheel and fix it Tone" BIG MISTAKE, it screwed up the SMS airbag system and the only place that had a machine to fix the problem was at Mitsubishi headquaters at Cirencester, and cost me £240 for the privalige, and aparently that was cheap, as they normally charge anything upto £700 depending on the car and serverity of the problem.

What I found out you have to do is, diconnect the battery for a min of 15 - 20 mins, and that lets the capassitors (what ever they are) drain any charge out of them, then it's safe to remove the steering wheel and mess around with the horn.

Sorry if this post is a bit vague but as I said I am not very mechanical or very good at DIY jobs on cars, I just drive and enjoy them.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

javan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

very pleased you posted this i nerley took my wheel off too! thanks
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to disconect the battery and leave it like this for at leaste 5 minutes before disconecting the any air bag or SRS conponant . if at poss insulate any block conetors also , when you do rtemove the steering wheel do so in the straight ahead postion important as if yuo have a anguler sensor fitted to the steering colum it had to be in this postion to know the straight postion for its calculation of steering angle .
also when removing the wheel place some insulation tape onto the clock spring stop it rotating it is most inporotant to work corectlyu if moved it can put air bag lights on faster than a stripper can catch yuor attention .
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... I don't think my Mk1 has airbags

ATB

Spud Cool
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a record nearly twp years ago we were talking about this .

and no yours does not have air bags .
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was just pointing out that the info isnt relevant for MK1's......... Wink
I got fed up waiting for two years for someone else to do it Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

ATB

Spud Cool
farmerbarlimo

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1992, Series 2 I think, any idea if it has an airbag, I took the leathery bit off the front where the horn is under, and took the plastic bit off, didnt find an airbag, so I presume Im not blessed....
wayne99

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you will only have an airbag if you have SRS written on the wheel, and a light on the dash ,also a sticker warning of airbag,
I do not think that airbegs were introduced until 1994 as i beleive my model was one of the first to have it fitted
hth  Laughing
earthmover
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 23:08    Post subject: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I've just read this post. and I had the same problem when I had my first Shogun (which didn't have airbags) what was happening was the there wasn't a connection for the horn to work all of the 360 degrees. So I took off the steering wheel (If I remember right) and found there is a small brass rod about 4 or 5mm diameter which is pushed up by a spring I tried to get another piece of rod similar (but didn't try the model makers shop which does sell that.)  Anyway all I did was stretch the spring a bit and put it together again. no problem after that.  cheaper option and works.
bob cole
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person that had my Paj before me put a wooden steering wheel on mine, When i got it the horn did not work, I did not want to mess about taking the wheel of so i connected my new air horns to a long spring loaded toggle switch and mounted it on the right hand side of the dash by the rear fog light switch. It works perfect.  Cool  

bob
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm! is the sticker for the air bag on the drivers door Question  I have no srs on the wheel & it looks as though a sticker has been removed from the drivers door [I have my suspicions that mine has been in an accident at some time]
Baddoo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the sticker was about halfway up the b pillar it was probably a red sticker warning you about the vehicle being fitted with a limited slip diff
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Ive still got that one, This is just a "faded" area that looks as though it was a sticker, on drivers door trim by the window above the door handle, its prob nothing other than someone had a no smoking or such sticker there at some time But I'm a curios bloke and just wondered,  [ tried to take a piccie but it dosent realy show up]
Tonka
Events rep (North East)
Events rep (North East)

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
No Ive still got that one, This is just a "faded" area that looks as though it was a sticker, on drivers door trim by the window above the door handle, its prob nothing other than someone had a no smoking or such sticker there at some time But I'm a curios bloke and just wondered,  [ tried to take a piccie but it dosent realy show up]

I believe that one explained (in Yapanese) how to use Super Select 4X4  Wink  Wink
61jason61

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

christ mate, NEVER EVER, remove an airbagged steering wheel unless battery has been disconected for a minimum of 15 pref 30 mins.  the capacitors hold charge, thats there job.  

this basically means that removing an airbag whilst they still have charge, leave you in danger of it activating in your face during removal. you lucky sod.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: