2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

regassing the aircon on paj 2.5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:09    Post subject: regassing the aircon on paj 2.5 Reply with quote

hi guys,

when regassing the aircon, where is the port to regass it from? is there two places due to the front and rear aircon or does it all run off the same system?

I have never had a car with aircon and do not think that the paj has been regassed since entering uk.

any help appriciated.

Thanks

Gonzo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:09    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

you doing this yourself? Shocked
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, but there seem to be many incopetent ppl about, had a lot of bad luck / mishaps happen with ppl doing work on my paj, just want to be in the know before i get anything done.

I gather I might need a converter for a different gas type, if so can anybody give me some more info.

Thanks

Gonzo
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If which is most likely your paj is running the old now illegal R12 gas then you will either need a conversion done on the pump to change the seals etc which is a bit on the steep side (about £200 inc gas etc down this way a few years ago) or you can get a drop in replacement for the R12 named R24 (prob different types about so not always R24)
I had my old paj re-gassed with R24 and the system sorked absolutely fine with no problems,so if they tell you it needs converting etc etc then just ask for the drop in replacement or walk away,hth (the drop in cost me £78.00 all inc)

Marc 8)
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc,

just to check:

so if i got the old R12 gas, I need new seals on the pump and have a new gas put in.

If i have new gas in it it is a straight refill with new gas.

What do you mean with: "or you can get a drop in replacement for the R12 named R24 (prob different types about so not always R24) "

Is that a different type of gas or pump?!?!

Essentially I should just get the R24 gas put into the paj when I get it regassed, is this correct?

Thanks for your help

Gonzo
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

r12=old stuff,not to be used anymore
r134a=new stuff most run on
r24= upgraded r12,can be used with no mods to pump Wink
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job , thanks for the explaination more x 4

gonzo
marcsparks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on james sorry didnt explain it very clear gonzo Embarassed but as he said if you use 134a youll need the conversion,any other drop in (direct replacement) will just erm drop straight in Wink Wink hope you get it sorted matey

Marc 8)
Sam-F

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre 1993 = R12 if you look at the gas filling port it will have threads on the out side edge
post 1993 = R134 if you take the cover off the filling port it will have a collar and no threads to the outside edge

If it is R12 getting R24 put in is your best option as a change to R134a needs all comp seals and flexy pipes replaced and oil flushed

If you want to be sure you are not dealing with a cowboy ask to see there CITB registration card for (safe handling refrigerants)
gonzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam-f,

thanks for the info , will check for the certificate.

Gonzo
airconman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Hope you don't mind me clearing up a couple of things. If the system still has threaded type connections the chances are that its still R12 in the system. This is not always the case though as the system could of already had RS24 'droped in' or it could of had R134a used by charging through the old style connections. If there are no stickers around to say what is in the system there is only one sure fire way to tell and that is to connect a gas analyser to the system.
When a R12 system is retro-fitted to run on R134a the compressor seals do not need to be changed. The most important item when doing this task is to change the oil in the system. R12 runs with a mineral oil such as 5GS and R134a runs with a synthetic oil ( polyalkeline glycol of differing grades ), the two do not mix well and to do so could result in compressor siezure. The system filter should also be changed and the system flushed through with a refrigerant solvent. The old threaded connections can easily be converted to the bayonet type by removing the valve from the old and screwing the correct new fitting over the old. Remember that the high and low connections are different sizes and must be fitted on the correct port. A retro-fit sticker should be placed under the hood.
**** As R134a runs at higher pressures than R12 then only 70 - 60% of the origanal capacity should be charged.
If the system is to have RS24 added (my personal choice and all of my customers agree ) then no system alterations are required as it runs on mineral oil. RS24 must be charged by the liquid method though as it is a blend and if its vapour charged you end up with more of one component of the blend than others. The origanal capacity of the system should be reduced by 10% when re-charging with RS24.
Again, after charging ensure a sticker is placed saying what refrigerant is in the system.
Sorry if anyone feels I've trod on their toes and for the length of this post.
Hope this helps all involved
Airconman
Drive Cool - Arrive Cool
Brownie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:51    Post subject: Re: regassing the aircon on paj 2.5 Reply with quote

gonzo wrote:
is there two places due to the front and rear aircon or does it all run off the same system?

Just to check again what Gonzo asked, is there a single point for charging or two, one for the front and one for the back?

Cheers.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all the same system,one filling point Wink
Brownie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mx4
rayman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my paj one port is in front of rad on near side. the other one is on the compressor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Air Con / Heater issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: