Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

8 mth in on mitsi ownership wots gone wrong ?????

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 0:07    Post subject: SUPER PAJ'S Reply with quote

Come on peeps there are 7k of us out here Wink
my probs alternator ......thats it and it is a 92 Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 0:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

denjo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ve had my paj just over 2 years, 102km,s on the clock,
apart from service items, oil filters ect wich i change every 3 months,
so far i`ve replaced 1 compass bulb,
its never missed a beat, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I bought a toyota mpv to replace my paj and thought i would like to take the paj off road one time before i sold it.
had a mini run at chatsworth and that was it i was hooked.
I usualy get bored with cars pretty quickly,but after chatsworth and the Yorkshire dales run i love my paj more than ever Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
anybody want to buy a toyota estima Question
Jam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting on for 2 years.....no problems (apart from a scraped wheelarch Embarassed . Always starts, no smoke, smooth ride. More gadgets than I have time to play with
Hawaii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my current one nearly 3 years now - did think about changing for either a 2.8 diesel or a 3.5 v6 petrol for more power but mine has NEVER let me down

Work done so far:

5 new tyres (didn't trust the originals- £254 the set)
2 interior bulbs (pence)
7 switch illumination bulbs (I like thing to work as they should)
CD/MP3 player (tried but couldn't live with the band expander) £179 fitted
regular servicing (oils/filters etc) (from Milners)
complete new exhaust last year (£144 inc VAT) the one that came off was the original
got an advisory on the MoT of a sticking drivers side front brake caliper - took out the piston, cleaned it p, replaced the seal - sorted (cost pennies)

Other than this massive list of things that have gone wrong (nowt) everythings fine

except

Air con pump packed up this morning and off to The South of france tomorrow - *beep*!!

ta

hawaii
Stu Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have had a worse experience than most with mine, straight-swapped my Peugeot 306 TD for it back in April, I ran it for 2 weeks until the engine popped one freezing morning on the M6. Apparently the new cylinder head that was fitted hadn't been torqued down correctly and the cooling system not bled properley... Lesson #1: Erratic engine temperature is NOT indicative of a faulty guage or sender, it's a warped head/failing head gasket. check it out ASAP!!

Negotiated fitting of a new/exchange engine with the 'trader' I got it from under a notional 2 month verbally agreed warranty, 6 weeks later I collected it from his 'approved mechanic'. Next day the alternator belt snapped... further calls to 'trader' and 'approved mechanic' left me in no doubt they had washed their hands of the vehicle so the rest is down to me. I'd take the *beeb* to court but I'm skint :s

No biggie, just get a new belt, although it looks a total PITA to fit....

Oh look, someone left the wrong crank pulley on the replacement engine and that's why the alternator belt keeps snapping, my single belt alternator pulley is trying to mate with a twin belt crank pulley, the belt runs around the centre of the 2 V grooves in the crank pulley and the belt lasts about 20 miles before breaking again. Pajero gets parked on the lawn and forgotten about for a bit.

6 weeks later, pi55ed off with looking at my lovely Pajero and unable to use it, and fed up of using the bike to go 50 miles a day to work and back so I start sourcing a replacement pulley... dealer part only, £160.00 Shocked (would be cheaper to get one made) blah-blah... used ones always break etc.

Maliks Motors in Bradford eventually turned one up for me, £85 posted and next day delivery. Spent Tuesday fitting it... hmm, it's an Auto so to lock the engine I have to remove the starter... to remove the starter I have to remove the front prop... and the intercooler. 3 hours later I'm wishing I had the hands of a small child or another joint in my forearm, and the starter motor finaly seperates from the engine backplate. I'm so glad I didn't elect to change the engine myself, I think I'd still be at it next Christmas!! Chisel inserted in ring gear, engine locked, quelle surprise, the pulley nut is easy to undo Smile

Now to slide the pulley off the crank... slide.. hmm, maybe when it was new, but not now. I reach for the blow-torch Evil or Very Mad. The hot pulley finally yields but then fouls on the cooling fan blades... Are we still not done 'removing' bits FFS?!!

Thankfully the fan is the last thing I need to remove and re-assembly is a relative piece of pi55, I've been running it 3 days now and I remember why I like this vehicle so much Very Happy

Now I just to get my air-con re-gassed and the vehicle should be back to normal.

I'll be at the Fairford International Air Tattoo on Saturday, standing on the Pajero's roof Very Happy
boab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

you want a positive post... hows this...

i've had the paj for nearly 5 months now, in that time she's been on the road for about 1 month!! she's still not completley fixed, but i wouldn't get rid of her!

so far, i had to buy...

rocker arm
cam bearing cap

then the same thing happened

a second hand head (quite steep considering)
gasket set

then the same happened again

second hand engine!

add to that the usual

oil filter
air filter
fuel
nearly 30 ltrs of engine oil
nearly 30 ltrs of "ready mixed coolant" (worked out at a nice price!)

and of course FUEL! (although not that much! Wink )

and after all that, i still want to keep her!

hows that for devotion!!!!

she is currently waiting for (hopefully) the final piece of the jigsaw, and she'll be back up and running as sweet as a nut!!
she hadn't been looked after originally, and that was the cause of the problems, but now she is in my hands, she'll be well looked after and serviced regularly...

so any potential newbies reading this thread, get off yer erchie's, and get buying a paj!!

if you follow the simple rules for buying a car, you shouldn't have a worry... unlike me! the man who buy's first and asks questions later!!! Embarassed
gimbal57

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's a '92 K plate 3.0 V6 on LPG. I'm a plumber. I use it as a van. Every day for the last 14 months. Very reliable. All I've had to do is replace the idle speed control (£175), idler arm (£40ish), exhaust (£105), and 4 tyres (£85 a corner).

This is an awesome vehicle. Oh, and I also tow a caravan (1600KG) with it.

If if were to swap, it would be for a newer one.
floyd

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I own a 2.8TDI LWB 96 Exceed which i purchased February 2004 and was imported May 2003.. Really not any problems at all to report (tempting fate now Rolling Eyes ). Had to have new brake pads all round and the usual servicing bit, but that is all down to wear & tare. Oh yeah almost forgot my rocker cover gasket was leaking which i soon dealt with 8) that little half moon thingy Wink .

I'm so proud to own & drive a Pajero, especially when people look, point & comment how nice your motor is Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I love her to bits Wink

Take it easy guys 8)
morsey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:43    Post subject: shogun Reply with quote

hi i had my shogun since feb05.
swapped it for my volvo v70.
best days work ive done,pulls caravan like no tomorrow.
just polished it few bulbs and a little care needed.
will change shocks before next mot apart from that fantastic.
will buy a newer one when i get chance.

1992 shogun mk2 134000 miles
Mo Khan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until August last year, had a Shogun 2.8 (96) model which we had for 5 1/2 years with final mileage of 160,000.
Apart from the usual filters and brake pads, i had to purchase the following:

1) 2 alternator belts (stop squeeling) £6.00
2) eeeeerrrrm...
3) eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm
4) eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm
5) eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm
6) i give up.

One of the best i've had.
Now with a 2.8 Pajero with a rebuilt engine, will have to see how this one goes.

Mo

I've just remembered, rear door upper hing siezed and broke - _£12.00 from breakers yard. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
heckflosse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine for almost two years. Costs £55 for a centre exhaust and general servicing bits (oil filters etc.)
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

had mine 7 months all its had really are wearables

tyres £400
serviced 4 times(oil and filter ) air filter twice fuel once
dash bulbs(bugged me)
batts stamped 1998! £105
alt belts
cambelt and balance
major oil leak from filter housing £300 *beeb* seal kit cost £40
all new water pipes £25 new cap and overflow bottle £27 dealers
glo plugs £160
chips away visit after offroading £70 self inflicted Embarassed
antifreeze £15
distilled water £10
transmission fluid £23 2 changes
diesel i shudder to think!
kc daylighters £119(toys)
decent sound system £450 for the lot(toys)

quite a lot you may think but in reality the tyres were old and rotten the batts were old(7yrs!) most other things were just precautionary done 9700 miles since i got it so reasonably happy with that should do many more now, the antiroll bar bushes are starting to go so do them soon bout 14 quid i think

still grin from ear to ear when i drive it tho seriously on the lookout for a decent 3.5 lwb soon and lpg
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 23:23    Post subject: Mine Reply with quote

BP Ultimates gone up again to 98.6.....thats D.I.E.S.E.L Bill not petrol Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
an thats it Wink
wayne99

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need to remember here is that there are more pajeros in this country than shoguns now,
There are about half a million pajeros on our roads.
now paj owners club has 7,700 members and not all have had problems, so as far as i can see that cannot be bad.
plus you have got to remember that the average age of pajeros is something like 10 years old.
If you look at similar 4x4 that are over 10 years old then most of them are falling apart.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 23:30    Post subject: Last Post Reply with quote

Wayne you have just summed it it up nice one M8 Wink Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: