eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bio Diesel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 16:07    Post subject: bIODIESEL Reply with quote

We think along the same lines my man!!!!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 16:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

offroaddriver

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this!!!

i was in exeter when i ran out of desiel once. just when i was about to turn into a side road. Evil or Very Mad
anyway, i rolled onto the kirb, locked her up and walked up to the local store and picked up 3 litres of veggie, came back and poured it straight into the tank. Shocked

with a little bit of cranking cos there was no fuel in the engine..........it bloody started!!! Very Happy i only drove it about three miles to the petrol station to dilute it with some desiel....but it does run on 100% veggie! Very Happy
mind you..........it stank!!! Confused just like a chip shop. it just smelt like burnt veggie oil.
i would not reccomend running it only 100% veg permanently. look into it first. but on a warm engine.. it does drive ok! Smile
vipar

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

have just rang that number. The forms are being revised. You need to ring 0191 201 1747 The current rate of duty payable on supermarket Veggie oil is 47.1ppl or if its Bio 27.1ppl It is up to us to prove that it is bio and not straight Veggie oil. They are sending me the forms

Vic

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats freakin ridiculous 47p a litre for gods sake everyone vote these tossers out! why do we get so stung yet the rest of europe and indeed the world has it so easy bring back the fuel protests i say
vipar

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

They tempted us to go to diesel because it was cheaper. When we had commited ourselves to Derv they put the price up. When loads of folk have converted to LPG they will do the same . Looks like we need 4 cars. and use the fuel which is the cheapest. Electric at the moment I reacon. Mind you I cant see it working for off road. Lots of sparkes when you dunk it Laughing
nugundam93

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mungodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be too difficult to prove it's bio not veg oil - just look at the colour! Has anyone out there bought a fuelmeister kit for making there own bio? If so, what's it like? Are there any other good reliable kits out there?
Morph

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

see what they mean about preheat the fuel , mines a tad lumpy when starting but when warm n/p at all got about 15% mix to try it this week
jaime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be of interest, most of it still applies methinks
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john-nicholson/letters/police.htm

---------------------jaime------------------
chezzaz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 21:28    Post subject: Using it Reply with quote

Hia guys

I live in Swansea and there is a company not too far from me which has been going for about 2 years now who recycle vegetable oil from chippies etc. They then sell it as Biofuel. It's great stuff and has no effect on performance or economy.
The only down side is that the government are stinging them for TAX on what they sell and so the price we would all expect would be around the 35p - 40p per litre. No, no, no. Try 89p per litre.
The government are also being helpful by stopping the young lady with the brains who runs the show from purchasing a methanol burner. This could help the process as the remains from the process is methanol which could be used in a special burner to heat the oil during processing and also to run any heating and electricity in the building.
What a nice government we have.

Anyway, sorry to waffle on.

Vegetable oil can be used (trust me) straight from the supermarket shelf. 75% denzil - 25%vegetable oil is a good mix. This will improve performance and economy. If unsure use less Veggie oil to denzil.

You may feel slightly starving though when driving around.
Doug29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running on a 50 50 mix for over a month now with no downside other than it makes the kids feel hungry Very Happy
A friend has been read somewhere that if it is over 20C the oil is thin enough to run on near 100% Veg oil. He tried it Friday (braver man than me) and swears his car was running better and faster than ever. Stinking though. He did put it in his car when the engine was hot so be interesting to find out what it was like Saturday.
Be interested to know what it does to the emmissions level for the MOT Question Its not illegal to do so could it be used to pass the test on a smoky engine Question
denissimo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered why I saw some people in supermarkets buying veggie oil by the trolley load. Thought they must have been reselling it in their own shops.
Still convinced these threads were started on 1st April, but off to buy a 3 litre bottle from Morrisons and see what happens. The only downside I can see, is that it will ruin the diet that I'm on.
GeoffL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime1 wrote:
This may be of interest, most of it still applies methinks
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john-nicholson/letters/police.htm

---------------------jaime------------------

You'll find a lot more of interest on John's site - http://www.bio-power.co.uk/.
GeoffL

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

mungodog wrote:
It shouldn't be too difficult to prove it's bio not veg oil - just look at the colour! Has anyone out there bought a fuelmeister kit for making there own bio? If so, what's it like? Are there any other good reliable kits out there?

FWIW, I thought that "bio" meant that it came solely from biological sources - i.e. plants and/or animals. However the Government, being its usual perverse self, has added a few gotchas. The "official" definition of biodiesel is clauses 4 and 5 of this document The gotchas are:
  • it must be capable of being used for the same purposes as "heavy oil" road fuel (i.e. mineral diesel)
  • it must have a total ester content of not less than 96.5% by weight
  • the sulphur content does not exceed 0.005% by weight.

If the veggie oil you intend to use doesn't meet that specification, it's considered to be a "fuel substitute" and liable to duty at 47.1 pence per litre (or perhaps even 53.27 pence per litre).

Somewhat taken aback by the Customs & Excise web page, I phoned the Excise helpline where I was told that:
  • It is very unlikely that straight vegetable cooking oil will meet the specification for biodiesel, and so would be taxed as a "fuel substitute" - i.e. at the higher rate
  • The onus is on you to show that the fuel meets the specification for biodiesel
  • Where doubt exists, you must pay duty at the higher rate
  • The only way to be sure is to have an analysis done of the fuel. This must be done at your expense, and you need to have a new analysis for every batch of fuel.

They are not being very helpful.
rickladds
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you seriously expect them to be helpful?

HM C&E are renowned as the most "independent" of all the arms of government, they think they are above mere laws - have a look at some of the cases that were thrown out of the courts recently.

Their primary aim is to collect taxes - why should they help somebody trying to avoid paying taxes!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: