Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

gearbox oil levels???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:50    Post subject: gearbox oil levels??? Reply with quote

checking my gearbox oil today, and it's sitting above the hot mark while cold! it was nice and level on the cold mark when i filled it! anyway...

i read a bit about the levels, and also the haynes manual tells me that i shouldn't overfill it! so, could too much oil cause the following problems?

1. it feels like i'm missing top gear! i'm sitting at 70 at 4k revs, but it won't change up a gear! that isn't right is it?

2. she feels a bit sluggish up to speed, foot to the floor, but not really the oomph that she used to have!

also, the kickdown cable has been slackened right off, would this cause any of the faults above?

i'm now off on holiday for 3 weeks, so ahe's away to get a tune up, and service!

cheers
boab
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 No its not ...too much oil..drain some out or you will knack yer box M8

2 Might well be from the above

3 Yes it could give you those probs ...most importatntly drain some A/T fluid off Wink
HTH
johnkyte

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:02    Post subject: gearbox oil levels??? Reply with quote

Boab
Try this switch OD off,drive along at 50mph---now switdh OD on ,If you see engine revs drop by 200rpm,it seems that all operating controls for OD are working,but the OD clutch pack has gone,Will cost 6-700 pounds to fix--sorry
If the engine revs dont drop 200rpm when you sw on OD,then something in control systemU/S--I hope this helps
boab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers folks...

just needed a bit of clarification on the subject!

seems strange that when i filled the box, it was up to the cold level, now it's above the hot when cold!!

will drain some off as soon as the rain stops!!

john,

no problems with OD, seems to work as it should! tried all that first....

had a sneaky feeling that it may have been the kickdown cable or gearbox, but as nick said, too much oil could do that, and cable might!

anyone know how much oil from cold mark to hot? or am i draining a bit then check, a bit then check, a bit then check till it's right???

cheers
boab
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

drain and check boab,and make sure you follow the proper check procedure

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31773&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
boab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done morex4,

didn't realise that i had to have the engine running to check the level in the box!

as said, when the rain decides to stop here, i'll get in about it and check properly!

reading that post on the link, do i have to go into N in between every gear? when i filled it, i let the engine idle in all the gears (inc the 4wd gears) but never went to idle after each!

i.e.
do i go

P - R - N - D - 2 - 1

or do i go

P - N - R - N - D - N - 2 - N - 1

??????

cheers again
boab
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

option 3. p-r-n-d-2-1-2-d-n Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: