QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vegetable Oil - My Diary

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wysiwyg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30    Post subject: svo ratios Reply with quote

I myself only use about 30% svo anyway. Or maybe i have worked it out wrong. I put 3 litres of rape seed in to about 15 litres of deisel. Dare not do anymore being winter.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

madhouse

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi the corn oil has just gone up now to 84p per litre. bought 3 litres tesco rapeseed for £2.21. wHERE DO YOU FIND IT FOR 56P?

Ahhhh - the mythical - or so I was beginning to think after a coiuple of weeks of searching. Then I went into my local Tesc0 tonight and there it was - 18 bottles on the shelf at 56p each Very Happy . Guess who bought them all Wink  Then around to the filling station - 20 litres of Tesc0's most expensive, followed by a trip to the car park, parking up by the plastic-bottle recycling bank - to fill up Laughing !

It does exist - only just started stocking it at my local though and I guess I just picked the right moment!

Boy am I happy now.... Smile
vibe666

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the hang of the cold starts now using 30% SVO on my 2.8.

3 turns of the ignition to the 2nd spot where the engine and glow plug lights come on.  wait for both to go off and then do it again so they're all warm and toasty.  then crank the engine and the split second she bites I gun it and then use the manual throttle to se tthe revs to 1500rpm until she's at normal running temp and she's all good.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
byways

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help but think you are stressing the engine, starter battery, et all and possibly risking gumming the engine, and only getting 30% of the potential saving by twanking it properly.

By putting a twin tank in + FPHE, you start on 100% dino, so no issues there, then WHEN the engine is warm you switch over to 100% SVO (or 90%) and get maximum savings. Bit more work, but then its done properly.

Only downside is - do the seals on the IP last longer on just 30% - I cant think so.
vibe666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not a long term solution, I know that but it'll do for now.

my long term plan is probably going to involve the fattywagons inline injector and fuel filter heaters as opposed to twanking.

never been a fan of twanking at all, not sure why it's just not something that interests me.  BUT, i guess never say never.  I'll see how I go with the injector & filter heaters and take it from there.

I also have a local(ish) supplier of 'proper' bio-diesel at a good price too so I plan on giving them a try, possibly this evening now that i've almost used up my last tankful.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
madhouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a comment - I mentioned a few weeks back (earlier post in this thread) about my "improvised FPHE", and since then it's been fine. -2 degrees this morning, and half inch of snow over the truck - started first turn with no notable sounds and I'm running a 50/50 mix. A twin tank conversion is a good choice I think especially long term, but for now things are good and I've got all summer to play about (and find somewhere for a 10 litre tank to go in the mk1 shoggie)!
vibe666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhouse, did you get any pics of the FPHE?

i'm still just humming and hawing about what's the best way to go (aside from twank, I'm still not sure why i don't like them, i just don't) but in the meantime I found my local bio-d supplier who's selling EN14214 certified juice at 95c (73p) per litre.

he says he's learned to be cautious when starting people out on the stuff, so he said to half fill the tank the first time and that way if it's in any way not to my liking (or the cars) for ewhatever reason, I can just fill it up the rest of the way with dino diesel to water it down and be done with it, which I suppose is fair enough.  I've had 2 tanks with 30% veg oil so far anyway, so I couldn't see there being any problems, but he was fairly adamant to save me coming back complaining that this was the best way.

anyway, we then go tot talking about it and he said he couldn't get anywhere near enough WVO to do make all the BD he needs and said if I could get him any more he'd pay me 25c a litre and pay me in BD and/or cash, depending on how much I can get.  seems like a g0ood deal to me anyway.  if I can get 400L of WVO a week to him he'll fill me up.  he even sells 40L containers for a fiver each, so 10 of those in the back and off I go to the local chinkies and chip shops. Very Happy
madhouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame you're not closer - I've got two local sources of WVO that is pretty good quality (only used for two days and no meat), and I haven't got any means of processing it! Picked up a 20L can the other day to play with, but I need to build a "processing plant" in my workshop before testing it on the trucks!

I'll try and post a picture or two of the home-made heater kit tomorrow.....
vibe666

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one thanks.

i reckon i'd need to fit a snorkel if I was driving over to you tho, I think that giants causway thing is a little bit deep towards the middle. Very Happy

brief update on the bio diesel test run.

car seems smoother running on BD and started a lot more easily in the cold this morning than with 30% SVO in it, so that's a good start.  noticed a small patch of oil on the driveway last night tho, not sure how long it's been there, but i'll have to do some more checking.  it wasn't big tho, only about the size of a digestive biscuit, but whether that's from the last week or just the last hour after i got back from putting BD in I can't say yet.
vibe666

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd cold morning on BD and it's running much better than even on dino diesel.  easier starting first thing and smoother and quieter overall with a little bit more power, not to mention very steady/constant power up through the gears.  smoother than a babies botty. Very Happy

I do still have a minor cold starting issue in that I can't just start it and leave it to idle if it's really cold or it cuts out.  I still need to apply a few revs with the manual throttle to start with for 5 minutes to keep her running, but even on 100% dino it needed to be 1500rpm, whereas with BD 1100 seems more than ample.

i did see a spot of oil on my driveway around where the engine would be sitting, so I thought I had a leak somewhere but I parked differently on the drive for the last 2 nights and there's no new oil on the ground, so I think I must have spilt a few drops of veg oil the last time I filled up with that.
madhouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
madhouse, did you get any pics of the FPHE?

Yes - but gone a stage better now so need to take some new ones! Basically added a little "black box" (actually has a chrome front but..) what it does is take care of the heating for me. I'm back up to a 70% mix now, and 500 miles and a few cold starts it's really working. So... I'll but revised pictures up and anyone who is handy with a soldering iron and a PIC micro can have the circuits and software!

Just been watching "Newsnight" (I know that's really sad) and well peed off about the "carbon footprint" *beep* - they are yet again on the Chelsea Tractor bandwagon. I think - here I am, I rescued my Shoggie from the scrap man three years ago, and completely sorted her, I then make a huge effort to run on environmentally friendly fuels and all that, (BTW I have 5 kids so need a large vehicle - especially as I have three ponies, lots of sheep and a farm to look after) and what the f*ck do I get off the government for my efforts? ROAD TAX!

Sorry all of you for harping on again, but......
vibe666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

madhouse wrote:
...and what the f*ck do I get off the government for my efforts? ROAD TAX!

Sorry all of you for harping on again, but......
I'm with you on that one, but believe me when I say in Ireland we get bent over and s*domized on both road tax and something they like to call VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax).  For example.

I got my Paj in the UK for £3250 (about €4500).  As an Irish resident (I'm British, but living in IRL with my Irish g/f for 6 years) I am required to register my vehicle with the Vehicle Registration Office within 24 hours of it touching Irish soil to have it assessed for VRT.  What they basically do is take the open market value (based on their own figures) and depending on the engine size and some other factors put a price on it for registration to be allowed to drive on Irish roads.  I've checked online and the price to register my 1996 Paj is €2212 (£1700), quite literally 50% of the price I have paid for it.  They don't even give you new number plates for that, you have to take the form they give you to get some made up and pay more for that too!

to add more insult to injury, this price is based on 'official' co2 emissions figures, rather than actual ones for your vehicle with no account taken of the reduced co2 emissions of a bio fuel powered car.

AND my road tax for the year is going to be €1300 too because I've got a gas guzzing monster according to the 'official' figures, again with no account of the actual co2 footprint of the car.   Evil or Very Mad
oneye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked a great diary your writng i shall be keeping my eye on your thread as im interested in running my 2.5 pajero kreg on chip pan fat and if me truck is lucky it might even get a cod as well no all joking aside im interested in your threads on this matter especially if you get better economy as i tow a 25ft caravan and the bad boy is quite thirsty on straight diesel so would be nice to know if anyone tows with a veggie/diesel mix i dont care if my car smeels like ian beales chip shop im after saving on running costs regards to you all rod Shocked
wkhattak

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I must confess that this is an excellent source of information for anyone (like me) planning to make use of veg oil & a thumbs up to Wilkesy for all of his efforts & time.

I am currently planning to run my 2.8 on veg oil.Just wondering whats the update on C&E like is it legal to use upto 2500 litres without registering etc?Also wanted to ask if there are any issues related to fuel pump etc.

regards,
Devon Hawker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 22:25    Post subject: Re: An Update Reply with quote

Wilkesy wrote:

Importantly C&E tell me that duty on non bio-diesel is payable at the end of every month and that duty does not become payable until the oil has been used by the vehicle. So if i get stopped by the police I am totally legal providing that my report for that month shows veggie oil usage.

Wilkesy

Hi guys ,great thread, unfortunately too much to read every reply,just out of interest has anybody been checked by Police ,DoT, HMCR or any official body and if so what was the outcome?

Cheers Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: