Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vegetable Oil - My Diary

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmoody56

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 15:40    Post subject: Veg oil Reply with quote

Hi I,m running Mk1 Paj.2.5 Auto. 91. 160Kilometers Jap import in Ireland. I have been trying veg oil bought from Lidel in 1 litre bottles. pain to fill but very cheap works out 40p sterling. I tied various mixes up to and inculding 95%. Running has been fine with no problems but a few months ago it started to  drip, drip leak from the back of the injector pump. I took fright and stopped with using Veg. I have not had the pump off and can not see the source of the leak but will have to face a pump rebulid I think. I',m saving up! Several questions please. Can anyone say were they think the leak may be. Its not the the pipes in or out but I can not see what's behind the body of the pump. I will need to get a mechanic to do the work but want to know is there a seal kit avialable and if so any ideas about best source?
Thank's a lot for the thread with Diesel at 1.40 euro here now I will be going back Veg when the leak is fixed.
David
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 15:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Devon Hawker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 19:23    Post subject: Leakage Reply with quote

Hi from what i have read on the topics here it sounds like your fuel pump seal has gone same as mine ! The kits are available on flea bay ,2 types available,standard and "heavy duty" ,slightly thicker i believe.

Don't know if you can do the same as me while i save up for the job, park facing downhill it stops my leak. Can't do the job myself anymore ,used to be an aircraft mech but now got metal bits for hips so any major spanner wrangling is out,from what i have read and can see it is pretty straight forward. The kits have a comprehensive instruction set with them and the guy say's he is happy to advise over the phone if you have probs.

I wish straight diesel was 1.40 euro over here whats that about a pound sterling now?

Even SVO has shot up here nearly the same as Diesel. Cheapest at Asda was 97p /litre.

Was looking at building a bio processor for WVO and it seems if you can get down the local recycle centre or scrappys and grab a prelagged domestic hot water cylinder with a top entry immersion heater 1/2 the job is done,just build a stillage and turn the cylinder upside down ! Grab a secondhand domestic central heating system pump while you are there and you are nearly there. Filter socks at 50 /25/ 5 + 1micron  are also on flea bay for pre filtering, got to be worth a go hasn't it?

Ok friends Romans and country men send me your oils.......
davidmoody56

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 18:35    Post subject: leak and veg oil Reply with quote

Thank you Devon Hawker for the tips. My pump only leaks when the engine is running and the drip gets less as it heats up. I will try ebay but buying from here can be tricky. Fuel is cheaper here but it has risen from 98cents a litre to over 1.40 in less than a year and its goes up every week. I am stunned when I go to the UK and see prices there it is scary. Regards David.
swingyapants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:54    Post subject: SVO prices Reply with quote

Hi guys

I've been on the hunt for cheap cooking oil her in the northeast and would you believe most of it is around the same price as a litre of diesel. My local Morrison’s are asking £1.19.9 per litre and the shops are asking £1.15 to £1.23 litre. The cheapest I found was £20 for 20 litres at a back street restaurant supply shop. WHATS GOING ON????? Where's all this cheap oil?

scratch
gavintwopies

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheapest oil youwould sorting after can be found at makro ktc veg-oil in a box (gen. mod. soya-oil) and its £18.75 a box for 20ltr but as it on catering essential discount you get a quid off at the till so its actuall £17.75 so works out @ about 89 p/ltr however i find the 15ltr for £13.95 93p/ltr (no discount on this one) runs better which workis out the same as you can run the concentration higher as its pure rapseeed oil which is what yoe want.
swingyapants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavintwopies wrote:
the cheapest oil youwould sorting after can be found at makro ktc veg-oil in a box (gen. mod. soya-oil) and its £18.75 a box for 20ltr but as it on catering essential discount you get a quid off at the till so its actuall £17.75 so works out @ about 89 p/ltr however i find the 15ltr for £13.95 93p/ltr (no discount on this one) runs better which workis out the same as you can run the concentration higher as its pure rapseeed oil which is what yoe want.

Thanks gavin

all i have to do now is find someone with a Macro card.
vibe666

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 23:29    Post subject: Re: Veg oil Reply with quote

davidmoody56 wrote:
Hi I,m running Mk1 Paj.2.5 Auto. 91. 160Kilometers Jap import in Ireland. I have been trying veg oil bought from Lidel in 1 litre bottles. pain to fill but very cheap works out 40p sterling. I tied various mixes up to and inculding 95%. Running has been fine with no problems but a few months ago it started to  drip, drip leak from the back of the injector pump. I took fright and stopped with using Veg. I have not had the pump off and can not see the source of the leak but will have to face a pump rebulid I think. I',m saving up! Several questions please. Can anyone say were they think the leak may be. Its not the the pipes in or out but I can not see what's behind the body of the pump. I will need to get a mechanic to do the work but want to know is there a seal kit avialable and if so any ideas about best source?
Thank's a lot for the thread with Diesel at 1.40 euro here now I will be going back Veg when the leak is fixed.
David
i'm in the same boat david (and in ireland as well!), thankfully my driveway has a decent slope on it so I've started parking the other way round (with the nose down) and that's helping a bit, but it's still a *beep* to keep going on a cold morning. Sad

i actually got one of those replacement heavy duty seals off fleabay but the missus 'hidied' it (it's like tidying only you can never find anything when she's finished) and I've no idea where it went now.  Embarassed

will need to sort something tho before the weather gets any worse.  Shocked
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iceman2

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 13:33    Post subject: veg oil, the last word!! Reply with quote

Well my 2p's worth is first, I hate those morons sitting in so called governments positions harping on about carbon foot prints and global warming garbage. They don’t give a toss about the environment! Why? As we are talking about veg oil, you don't need to be a brain surgeon to work out we still should pay the same rates of tax as normal (D) oil, BUT HA, we care!    Rolling Eyes  yea about money!!!!!

Now to the reality bit, I have had VW cars which ran perfectly well for thousands of miles just using veg oil, without any costly so called conversions. Also I now run the 2800 TDI Shogun 1996 version, I just bang any old off the shelf Cooking veg type oil in, with a little normal stuff to help water it down a bit roughly, but not exact 15ltrs or normal (D) to about 12 ish Ltr of Veg oil, No problems at all!! Ok I live in Eastern Europe, so the winters can get silly cold out here, sometimes down to -30c. So am not going to run that sort of balance when it gets really cold. Say 40ltr of normal (D) to about 10 of veg oil, and a little antifreeze could help too . Not such a great saving but ha, a saving. In the summer it can get near 45c+ so we then go the other way. 40ltr of veg to about 10 of (D) as it will stay a lot thinner. But I have done this for years and there is no problem. Don’t forget, diesel engines were originally designed to run on the stuff. Not that atmospheric pollutant those megalomaniac petrochemical companies and global governments try to force us to burn!!!     brave
matt19791

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:36    Post subject: veg vs diono diesel Reply with quote

HI to all i am new here and just got my 1st mitsi 2.5 td pajero and have just put 9 liters in i have ran on svo before for 5 years in a toyota with no probs and have never been stoped and yes i have reg to C&E hope the mitsi runs like the toyota PS love this sit keep it going
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mat
bob
dragn

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

have pretty easy access to new clean veg oil as there is always some kicking around our tankwash tanks are fully purged of remnants b4 washing have tried with small amount 10% or so pure rape don't like the idea of using it in winter though especially as i think we'll be gettin a cold un this year already seen -1 a couple of mornings & veg oil starts to get way too thick for my liking at low temperatures prefer not to knacker the injector pump if i can avoid it !
jury still out about veg maybe next summer will try it higher volume
LJH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I've read most of this post, my conclusions are...
Its ok to run clean new veg oil on a 2.8td without problems.
Running used filtered veg oil seems to be a bad idea as it gums up things.
My work gets 80L of new oil for £67 which is about 83p a litre, not as good as a few years ago  Sad
Best bet is getting free used veg oil and making your own bio-diesel, can do it for about 20p a litre.

This running a mix on used oil gumming things up makes me sad, as I thought even if it was filtered its the dissolved *beep* in it that needs removed by converting it to bio-diesel.

agree? Cool
LJH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also haven't heard much on the injector seals or rubber pipes getting ruined, take it it's just the pump seals?
metalmutha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lookin at running vege oil for a while now, and read shed loads of contradicting info!!!!

I've a 2.8 and I am gonna run it on 100% (ish) waste vege oil. I will obviously be highly filtering the oil, down to 3microns or lower. I have seen a few people who have pre heaters in their tanks to warm the oil before use if it is on the chilly side but I have seen someone on eblag that supplies fuel pumps that plumb in to your pipework to heat the fuel as it gets to the pump so will give them a try.

Have also read that mixin the oil with 5/6% petrol also thins the oil out and keeps it sludge free in the colder months. I see no reason why you couldn't insulate your tank during the winter months anyway!!! I have been told that you have to change the filters after a couple of weeks anyway, the oil cleans out your system, so if you keep it gunk free it couldnt do any harm (fingers crossed!!!!)

I've got my 2" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33" maxxis mudders on now I just want to be able to afford to take it out and get it dirty!!!!
kitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Paj is a 91 on a J, no issues with the veg oil since I posted on here, 2 years or so, however it is now not economical for me to use it any more....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: