Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vegetable Oil - My Diary

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddyone

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used in the past on our previous truck used svo and no short term problems, how ever I have found you go through fuel filters allot more and it dose cause seals to leek in my experience so in this truck no svo and we took a tank off one that had used svo for a few years and it was scary the ammount of fungi (brown lokinf crud growing in the tank whats your views on this please Im not talking bio disel as Ive had no experience with this (but would like to know in our mk1 2.5 auto (with recon engine in ) would it put the engine at risk long term ??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 23:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

geran

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read this post have to say it put a smile on my face the original post was based on how expensive diesel was at the time (no comparison to today's prices) and using an alternative fuel substitute so I was quite surprised when the 2.5D was swapped for a 4.5Ltr  Toyota petrol!!! what does that thing do to the gallon.
treeboa

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running an L200 2.5 late classic on 100% new veg via a smart veg twin tank system, covered over 30k ( actual engine milage 92k) without a problem untill recently, fuel starvation issues, chances are its the tank filter gunged up, may have been initiated from a 100 ltr batch of filtered wvo i tried, early pump seals were not veg/bio rated, later pumps should have vitron seals in them which are impervious to veg and bio, theres a lot of *beep* spouted by uneducated experts about vehicles running on `green` fuels, the main worry is using it with common rail engines, in theory a well designed twin tank system should be ok with them but i have yet to find a cast iron warranty that quotes this in writing bio should be ok in them but it depends on how good the bio is and as yet i have not met anyone who runs neat bio 12 months of the year with a common rail , with neat veg oil the worry is ring gumming and then veg oil passing into the engine oil where it polymorphs into a jelly like mass - *beep* engine, when running a single tank on veg the recommendations are to change the oil and filters at 50% of the service recommended miles
geran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info Treeboa, I have know a few colleagues who tried bio fuel on common rail diesels all bought the stuff from a non recommended source needless to say the little saving they made in fuel cost many times more in break down costs and repairs.
barrie1973

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I need to read this guys..... could you use Veg Oil in any Mitsubishi Shogun? I have a 2005 model.....55 reg
leemondo

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 14:21    Post subject: waste veg oil Reply with quote

Hi All

Been a member on here a while now but just a reader not a poster this is my first time Very Happy

I have a 1993 2.5 pajero which i ve started running on svo last week up to now no problems. the problem is it is nearly as expensive to run on svo as it is on diesel Shocked
I have found a local guy who will supply me with bio diesel for 90p litre which is better, what i want to ask is anyone running on waste veg oil that is just filtered not converted to bio diesel.
I have looked at the whole process of converting waste to bio and it is not a problem but i work away a lot and wont have the time.
So simple can i just buy waste oil, filter it down to 1 micron and throw it in my truck with a bit of diesel to thin it down???

Thanks in advance Lee Very Happy
bobblake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:48    Post subject: Re: waste veg oil Reply with quote

leemondo wrote:
Hi All

So simple can i just buy waste oil, filter it down to 1 micron and throw it in my truck with a bit of diesel to thin it down???

Thanks in advance Lee Very Happy

Hi lee
You have to make sure it is Dewaterd oil.
To test for water do a hpt (hot pan test)
Heat a pan up to smoking and drop a bit (desert spoon) of oil in the pan.
Take the oil from the bottom of your container.
If it bubbles and spits its got water in it.
You don't want that going in your trucks pump.

The % of thinning is tempter related.

I would fit a fph (flat plate heater)
To warm up the fuel before the filter,
This will save you a lot of hart ache if you have any fats in your oil.
Any questions put a separate topic up and i will try and answer them
bob
kitch

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now gone back to diesel.

I had no running issues with SVO for about 18 months, ran it at about 9 to1 in the winter with no probs.  

Now I have put it back on the road after about 18 months sitting on the drive, I can now here the turbo.  Now I couldn't hear it much before, but I can really hear it chirpping now.

So I have no Idea why.

I have changed the oil (of which she had burnt none), which was clean and still glossy.  She doesnt smoke even now I'm back on diesel (never did before) EGR valve is not blanked.  No fuel leaks.

So perhaps my sining turbo is down to old age, or something has contaminated the turbo bearings somehow.
Bag Puss

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread

I haven't managed to read every post but thought I'd post this for peoples reference. This info was correct as of October 2007 since then the page has gone. Does anyone have an update?

HOW TO RUN YOUR CAR ON STRAIGHT VEGETABLE OIL
Since the introduction of straight recycled vegetable oil in October 2007, most of our
customers are now buying this instead of the biofuel V100. The vegetable oil is sold as a
general purpose vegetable oil and doesn’t carry the fuel duty. Anyone is legally entitled
to use 2500L of vegetable oil per year as fuel without paying the fuel duty (please see:
hmrc (dot) gov (dot) uk/briefs/excise-duty/brief4307.htm ). The oil is sold in 20L cans.

Taken from implosionresearch (dot) com/bio-power/booklet.pdf
mitsupti

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 22:17    Post subject: alternative fuels Reply with quote

well ive read a lot about this subject like everyone else and now im confused beyond belief!
my cars are 2.5 pajero exceed turbo diesels , one is 1991 one is 1992
can anyone give me answers to the following please.
1. are the fuel pump seals ok for other tha pump fuel?
2. what ratio is safe to run with mixing in diesel ?
3. is the engine life going to be compromised?
4. what oils must i stay clear of assuming i dont fit a fuel heater or twin tank system?
5. has anyone tried a hydrogen gas generator either with or without using veg oil and if so with what results ?
6. not too concerned about the duty thing , theres plenty here about that and its a digression anyway.
7. when using neat or mixed fuels whats the lowest ambient temp it can be used in again without a fuel heater?
8  have i missed anything you want to share with us?

answers on a postcard please lol
seriously though a finite explanation of this lot would help a hell of a lot of us im sure since its now hitting 1.40 per litre and i dont think the government needs the money as much as us lot
bobblake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28    Post subject: Re: alternative fuels Reply with quote

mitsupti wrote:
well ive read a lot about this subject like everyone else and now im confused beyond belief!
my cars are 2.5 pajero exceed turbo diesels , one is 1991 one is 1992
can anyone give me answers to the following please.
1. are the fuel pump seals ok for other tha pump fuel?
2. what ratio is safe to run with mixing in diesel ?
3. is the engine life going to be compromised?
4. what oils must i stay clear of assuming i donut fit a fuel heater or twin tank system?
5. has anyone tried a hydrogen gas generator either with or without using veg oil and if so with what results ?
6. not too concerned about the duty thing , theres plenty here about that and its a digression anyway.
7. when using neat or mixed fuels whats the lowest ambient temp it can be used in again without a fuel heater?
8  have i missed anything you want to share with us

If you don't fit a heat exchanger do not use veg oil, you will come a cropper at some time.
For the sake of doing it, will cost you about £50 fitted.

Hydrogen gas generators are not economical yet, it costs more to produce the gas than any saving you will get at the moment.

Using veg oil will compromise you engine life, as you will drive it more as its will be cheaper than the forecourt stuff.

If you don't fit a heater you will be lucky to be able to use oil below 5c.
This is the night time tempura not day time.
Given where you live, using oil is not advised.

bob b
Ollie_247

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just put my first half a tank of Veg oi in  Very Happy
bobblake

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie_247 wrote:
Ive just put my first half a tank of Veg oi in  Very Happy

Congratulation's
Hope it all goes well for you.
Just remember the 1 st lot of veg oil can some times collect all the *beep* laying in your tank and pipes. this might block your filter.
Carry a spare filter just in case
bob b
drambuidhe

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 15:50    Post subject: wvo use Reply with quote

Hello folks, I am new to the club and am very pleased to be running my wifes Pej 2.5 swb on waste veggy oil. I am fortunate to have a large free supply so felt I should do something sensible with it. The first thing I did was modify my house boiler to burn it which is a big saving on its own. I've fitted a tank in the boot for the wvo and fed pipes under the carpet trims through to the engine bay. To make room for the apparatus I've done away with one battery. In its place I now have a large flat plate heat exchanger fed from the heater pipes. I also have a heated wvo filter after this , all fed to a 6port pollak switching valve operated from a switch inside. Silicon heated cable is wrapped round the steel pipe into the injector pump , thermostatically controlled . This is belt and braces for the winter months. Have only done 450m so far but theres no difference in any way except it smells like a chippy to passers by! Oh and the first run of 80m turned 31mpg which I think is pretty good. Very Happy
paul25601

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all ive read about every post been reading for nearly 2 hours lol. so do i need any vegitable oil, also where is the cheapest place to get it from now a days and whats the current rate, thanks, paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: