eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

biodiesel / svo (split from, Wilkesy's Diary)

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mungodog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you consider minor. The ones they've done have been lumpy on starting and sometimes difficult to start. They know a way round it, but a lot of their customers aren't willing to do it - you'd need to phone them to find out details, I can't remember, sorry!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 21:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Wilkesy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

MungoDog

Presumably the people you are talking about wanted to run on 100% SVO - no changes are required for a diesel/SVO mix.
GeoffL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I spoke to my "local" conversion people (Plymouth Bio-Fuels), they told me that a two-tank system is needed to run on SVO. The main tank holds SVO; the other (smaller) tank is for diesel. The idea is that you run the car on diesel until the cooling system is at normal operating temperature, when the coolant is hot enough to pre-heat the SVO. Also, PBF recommended fitting a return bypass, so that the fuel return is fed into the pump suction rather than going back to the tank. This allegedly reduces the load on the pump and allows you to run on SVO with less preheating.

When the system is up to temperature, you switch over to SVO for normal running and switch back to diesel to purge the system of SVO before shutting down. If you forget to purge the system of SVO before shutting down, most diesels will be difficult to start and run lumpily until the coolant is hot enough to pre-heat the fuel. (So, it's not just Pajeros!)

@mungodog: Does this sound like the way round your Wolves contact suggested?
alan

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What you say is exactly what I was told from a guy that was running his Surf on SVO you just need to remember to switch back to deisel five minutes from your destination so the pump is full of deisel to start again

regards

alan
mungodog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! This is exactly what I was told by the people at Wolverhampton, but their system warns you with a beep if you switch off the engine without switching back to the small diesel tank so that if it's the last time you turn it off in the day you know to switch it on again, change over tanks, let it run for a couple of minutes, then turn it off with pure diesel in the tank.

They were adamant though that specifically Pajeros had a problem on SVO with the proper conversion. As I said I can't remember exact details, but it was to do with them being lumpy in their running.
sparklelard

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a money earner to me.
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have taken the words from my mouth Sparklelard. Correct me if I`m wrong but I think that most members using svo dont`t appear to have problems in starting. O.K all you doubter and paranoid owners out there use a weak mix of 3 derv @ say a £1 and 1 veggy @ 45p, which brings fuel costs down to about 86p a litre, and I sure that you will notice no difference whatsover on startup, and performance will be at least equal.
Of course you must pay tax on this!!!

-------------------------jaime--------------------
GeoffL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaime wrote:
You have taken the words from my mouth Sparklelard. Correct me if I`m wrong but I think that most members using svo dont`t appear to have problems in starting.

What mungodog and I were talking about is running on 100% SVO. At room temperature, SVO is too viscous for modern injection pumps. To get SVO to a workable viscosity requires either heating and/or dilution. "Most members" are effectively diluting SVO with diesel to get the veggie oil thin enough not to cause problems.

This "money-spinner" lets you start on the less-viscous diesel to get the system up to temperature, when it has enough heat to preheat the SVO, so reducing its viscosity to something the injection pump can handle. When up to temperature, you can run on 100% SVO.

HTH,
vipar

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e done 2000 miles in my 2.5 LWB Exceed (44,000 Miles) on a 50/50 mix Sainsburys Veggie @ £132 for 3 litres. Averaged 32 mpg (I dont drive hard) Everything seems to run smoother and better. I love the BBQ smell and I will continue to do so unless things get to hot with the C&E.
I saw my first YD on Sunday down at Woodlands. Think he said he was Gatz1
beektor

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipar1 wrote:
Iv'e done 2000 miles in my 2.5 LWB Exceed (44,000 Miles) on a 50/50 mix Sainsburys Veggie @ £132 for 3 litres. Averaged 32 mpg (I dont drive hard) Everything seems to run smoother and better. I love the BBQ smell and I will continue to do so unless things get to hot with the C&E.
I saw my first YD on Sunday down at Woodlands. Think he said he was Gatz1

32 mpg seems quite good.
vipar

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no good doing a MPG test under 1000 miles. It should be done under varying conditions. to get a true reading. I dont pull awayfrom the stationary quick, and I dont do over 70mph. I am no goodie goodie, I just wanna keep my licence.
miketree

Location: East Yorkshire (Half way up on the right hand side)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipar1 wrote:
It's no good doing a MPG test under 1000 miles. It should be done under varying conditions. to get a true reading. I dont pull awayfrom the stationary quick, and I dont do over 70mph. I am no goodie goodie, I just wanna keep my licence.

I _CAN'T_ pull away from the stationary quick!
Mark2 4X4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipar1 wrote:
Iv'e done 2000 miles in my 2.5 LWB Exceed (44,000 Miles) on a 50/50 mix Sainsburys Veggie @ £132 for 3 litres.

I am sorry but £132 for 3 litres sounds a bit high to me Laughing
jaime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken Geoff, but I would think that this conversion work will cost a few bob. That together with the cost of svo plus the tax which will have to be paid when using it 100% will make it, in my opinion, a non starter with most . Far better to dilute the svo with diesel and not declare it and pay any tax on it. As Vipar says, as long as the C&E don`t come sniffing around, fiddle it, just as our beloved rulers are doing.

---------------------jaime-------------------------
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I hate the fact the we have to pay tax on veg oil, but i really don't think that it is wise to keep on about not declaring that you are using it and evading the tax. I am certain that we are all going to be in for a big shock soon, as it would seem with diesel prices still going up and with more people starting to use veg oil, C&E are going to be breathing down our necks pretty soon and believe me, their breath stinks.
Please don't think that i'm trying to sound like a miserable old b'stard, but there is every chance that these posts are being read by ppl with the C&E's interests in mind, don't give them the satisfaction Wink

Right, i'd better go and do some more work so that i can afford to put another gallon of diesel in the old girl Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: