eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

biodiesel / svo (split from, Wilkesy's Diary)

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:06    Post subject: biodiesel / svo (split from, Wilkesy's Diary) Reply with quote

VIRGINDELICAOWNER wrote:
That clears that up then! I'll just send off my EX103, wait for them to send relevant tax forms and take it from there. If it is 28p a litre plus the 46p a litre for the veg then it still works out a lot cheaper than Deisel and cleaner!!

Thanks for your help on that Wink

its only 16p a litre cheaper then
i pay 90p for biodiesel at the mo
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also think there should be a seperate forum for the bio diesel debate
Wilkesy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDO

It certainly does, but the aim here has got to be to find Vegetable Oil cheaper than 46 pence per litre, I am getting it for around 42 or 43p - but it still needs to be cheaper - me being the cheap skate I am Embarassed
Wilkesy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shed

There is a separate forum - you're in it Very Happy
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a nugget Embarassed Embarassed
did the thread start in this group or am i that blind
and well done for the diary
Wilkesy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shed

To be fair it got moved to this new Forum / thread.

When I logged in on Monday and went to the Technical Forum where it started I thought somebody had deleted it - felt all dejected for a while Sad
AJayUK

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna bother, sod them and their tax, I'll put veggie oil in my 2,8 and let them find me!!
Anyway, Im soon off to Spain and I cant see any Spanish copper stopping me for it, can you..Smile
ski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird feeling 7:30 am this morning topping up for the first time with 20 litres of sainsbury’s @ 1.32 for 3Ltr’s.. ‘is this mad or what’ I thought, being half asleep wondering am I still dreaming?!. The tank was on half so I imagine it to be around 3rd oil mix.

Drove around down to half full today with no noticeable engine difference. (This is my first Pajero, not that I would notice that much anyway since only driving it for a few days.)

Could definitely smell cooking oil burning but only when stopped and getting out, and not that strong either.

Hey, but why not start a thread for ‘supermarket wittiest veg oil comments’? Like:
‘my wife likes a good rub down with a damp hedgehog and a bottle of veg oil in the evening before bed!’

Also, seems some questions are being asked in this thread that answers would be found just by using the links that people are posting. Take your time guys, read through the threads thoroughly.

Exellent thread starter Wilkesy, keep it up.

Good luck daddy2coull, have a good trip..

Price comparisons for local supermarkets and veg oil:
http://www.tesco.com/pricecheck/
NigelT

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a chap who used vegetable oil from a supermarket who started off by just adding a few litres of oil to his tank to see what would happen , eventually building up to a 50/50 oil/diesel mix with no problems for several months last year.
( in the summer only though , in case the mix was too thick for the paj to start in the winter) .

I was interested in this , so I did some test with a viscosity measuring funnel ( the sort of thing which is normally used for checking how thick paint is before using in a spray gun)

This is a small funnel type device with a small hole in the bottom . You fill it with liquid and then measure how thick it is by recording the time for the liquid to drain away.

These were my findings

The numbers shown are the time taken for the liquid to drain from the funnel

Room Temperature

Diesel 11 seconds
Asda Veg Oil 28 seconds
Diesel / SVO mix 13 seconds ( 66% Diesel / 34 % SVO )
Diesel / SVO mix 14 seconds ( 50% Diesel / 50% SVO )

I then repeated the tests after putting the same liquids in the freezer for a few hours

Diesel 14seconds
Asda Veg Oil Solidified
Diesel / SVO mix 18 seconds ( 66% Diesel / 34 % SVO)
Diesel / SVO mix 20 seconds ( 50% Diesel / 50% SVO )

So from the results it can be seen very cold diesel has the same viscosity as a 50/50 mix of diesel / svo at room temperature . Therefore it could be argued that the fuel pump would have to work just as hard in the middle of winter pumping the fuel to the engine as it would running a 50/50 mix in the summer.

So , I am thinking about running my Paj on a 50/50 mix once I have done the tax forms.
batfink1971

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 19:04    Post subject: Re: Duty Payable Reply with quote

Wilkesy wrote:
OK then, according to CCORN, which is the Cembridgeshire Community Reuse and Recycling Network, who are government funded by The Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - the duty payable on Straight Vegetable Oil is exactly the same as biodiesel, because it IS biodiesel.

What they say is that if you were to mix SVO with something else, such as White Spirit, then it is taxable in the higher band because it is no longer classified as biodiesel.

However, because we are talking here about using SVI with nothing added to it - other than normal diesel which has already been taxed at the pump, the duty payable is exactly the same as Biosdiesel, that currentl being 28.53 pence per litre.

To have a look at their document visit: -

http://www.ccorrn.org.uk/pdf/Biodiesel.pdf

Wilkesy

can someone do me a huge favour............. can someone paste this page about veg oil being the same as bio on here as my pc doesnt like that link, i want to print that off so i have it to hand,
thanks muchly, kevin
Wilkesy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batfink

I posted the link, it's in PDF format, but having a quick read through the document I can't even see where it says it now - I will have a better read later and post what I find (I hope the veggie fumes aren't making me go blind Shocked ).

By the way, the fact that I haven't posted for a few days is purely because there is nothing to report - still running on just over a 50/50 mix (slightly more vegetable oil than diesel) and the Paj is still running great - still smoother, quieter and definately less smoke - plus I'm getting to really like the exhaust smell - it's still only faint but smells lovely Smile

Will put more info on as I find it.
ski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

batfink1971, have you tried just right clickng on the link and then 'save as'
save it in 'my documents' folder and then open it from that folder. (assuming you have acrobar reader of course) otherwise download a free copy from www.adobe.com
denjo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to thin new vegie oil down in the same way as they do when making bio diesel. Question
Ethenol white spirit Question
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK off to Stourport in the morning on a 20% BP Ultimate and 80% Veg oil mix will tell you after the weekend how it went Wink
DOUG.COM

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking forward to you results on a 20/80 mix. boy your brave. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: