Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenny-g

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 0:35    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the covers for the steering lock stops are made of and where can I purchase some?? I have an awful noise on full lock on when going over pot holes, kerbs etc., have been told it's because mine are missing.
Also, my Haynes manual says that Pajero's have drum rear handbrakes within the discs, my Paj has the handbrake working through the caliper on the disc it's self Shocked The cable has run out of adjustment and I can't see any form of adjustment on the caliper itself ..
Can anyone tell me where the A/T temp sensor is located on the auto box, as the light keeps flashing on the dash even when I've just started in the morning (cold). I replaced all the fluids when I first purchased the Paj and all the levels are spot on. Also the 4 wheel drive light is reluctant to go out when changing back to 2 wheel drive..

Thanks,
Ken.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 0:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

bart

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kenny
hope this helps for the steering http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/tech/minutemods/steering/
i think you will have to replace handbrake cable once full stretch is reached.
allan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny, the only adjustment you have on the handbrake is the nut on the end of the handbrake lever under the car.

If they need replacing, its a relatively easy job, but the cables are expensive. Check the thickness of the rear pads too, they could be worn right down.

Dont worry about the rear disc set up on yours, Haynes has got it wrong again! Mine is the same, although some of them have the same handbrake as Haynes describes.

allan
kenny-g

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, grease on the stops sounds to me like a short term solution. I wonder if the rubber caps are sold by Mitsubishi, or would the stop bolts have to be replaced as well ???
As to the rear pads, they seem to have worn to about half way, I need an MOT in August so will probably buy new cables then.

Bought a new battery yesterday, £64 and that was with a discount Sad
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the automatic adjustment on the caliper piston is seized.

May save buying a new caliper if you strip, clean and free it off now.
kenny-g

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin F, IS there an automatic adjuster on the piston or is it a simple lever against piston system, I was a HGV mechanic for 28 years, so doing the work would be no problem, it's just that I don't want to disturb the calipers if there is no kind of mechanism to seize..
MartinF
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system on my MK1 sounds like the same as yours but when I took it apart for the first time I had never encountered anything like it!

The piston is in 2 parts - the outer (which does the hydraulic bit) and an inner which threads in and out of it and bears on the pad backing plate.

To fit new pads you need to rotate the inner to retract it by threading into the outer, in addition to retracting the hydraulics in the normal way.

When you hold the mechanism in your hand you can feel that each time the handbrake actuating arm is pulled it threads the inner piston back out to take up any wear in the pad but it's only when the cable can pull further than usual (ie when there is some wear to take up) that this threading action takes place.

Part of the procedure in fitting new pads is to de adjust the handbrake cable so that the actuating arm has maximum room to move, then adjust the cable affresh to get the right feel to the lever inside the car.

If the pistons are not threading either because they are seized or because the cable is too stretched to pull the arm far enough you will get the effect you report.

I managed to get one of my pistons moving with a 14mm open ender but the other was a lost cause and had to be reconditioned..........
.......100 quid!!
kenny-g

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, thanks mate, will try and make time to strip it down, I wonder if I could buy a kit for the calipers?, should be a lot less than a £100..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: