Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Tires, 33x12.50x15 they do fit -- but not on stock rims

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subic_Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 15:36    Post subject: Tires, 33x12.50x15 they do fit -- but not on stock rims Reply with quote

Hi wave

Talking about Pajero Gen II

The largest tire you can fit on a Pajero is 31x10.50x15 that is on a stock 7 inch wide rim and then you should be street legal, that is in most country's & as recommended by tire manufacturers Wink

(To me it looks like a 11.50 inch wide tire should be OK on a 7 inch rim, giving more protection to the rim (off-road) but thats just my opinion without trying it my self.)

The standard Pajero 7 inch rim has a 4 inch backspace & zero offset.

To go to a bigger tire you need to change rims to wider and negative offset. (less backspace)

To fit a 33x12.5x15 inch tire the rim width is minimum 8.5 inches wide and the offset approx - 19-25mm (my rims are 8.5x15 / offset -32 , no frame rubbing but they do stick out from the fenders)

Regards
The Chef
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 15:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Subic_Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 16:03    Post subject: Next step Reply with quote

Hi wave

How to fit 33x12.5x15 on a Gen II Pajero

They fit without lift but minor modifications needed, are you prepared to take the grinding machine and start cutting?

1. Remove rear mud flap this to drive the Pajero home from tire shop

2. Front fender; remove lower steel support bracket and cut outer end. Cut front fender lower part (plastic) tip use electric hacksaw.

3. Remove fender inner plastic lining (covers washer tank) the plastic plugs are a pain.... Crying or Very sad

4. Mark area to be cut with masking tape, use grinder to cut plastic fender.

5. Cut following masking tape line.

6. Cut the inner steel plate use goggles to protect your eyes the sparks flye up on the left side.

7. Bend the edge of the inner steel plate with plier, this is pending the thickness of your patch material I use 10mm thick rubber floor mat (Foamy rubber comes on a 1.5m wide roll)

8 Clean & paint steel edges.

9.Cut patch have extra material if the first is getting too small hehe Wink

10. Place patch behind edges glue with silicone messy stuff but easy to remove to access later.

11. Fit original inner plastic liner/mudguard and cut to fit.

Good luck

The Chef

PS change your pix formate to 640x640 max restrict KB instead!
Subic_Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 16:22    Post subject: 33x12.50x15 they do fit Reply with quote

Hi wave

Step 3

How does it look at static lift.

By lifting the right front wheel off the ground 15 inches the left front wheel is already of the ground, the left rear wheel is at its max upward limit touching the rubber stop on frame.

Still there is a 1/2 inch clearance to fender (left rear)

Regards
The Chef
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wont use this but an exellent post,will be very hepfull to someone
wav
mutz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

was helpful for me, decided NOT to get a set of 33x12.50x15 offered to me, i was very tempted.When i first saw them i did think Want them.
Definatley good post would like to see finished bodywork.
Subic_Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 16:03    Post subject: 33 inch Reply with quote

Hi

The only thing visible on body is the front fender cut... and most people (9.99999%) do not notice it.. Laughing

The rear cut is not visible and the cut is just behind the bend of the fender, that is just to give a edge for the patch to stay behind and not flip out to view, thats all needed to fit a 33 inch tire. OK there are other things affected like performance & strain on steering but this story is not about that hehe

Regards
Lars
Roger Dard

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post m8 thumbup

i think this one should go into tech FAQ Idea
traveller816

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 20:45    Post subject: 33's Reply with quote

33x10.50x15's BFG Muds fit a treat, without modification or rubbing
dervmonster
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v just fitted a set of khumo 33x12.50r15's, but i'v got a 4 inch lift kit aswell, the rubber flap thingy on the inner wing gets pulled upward at full lock in reverse, but just flaps on the tread then rights itself afterward. NO problem looks the muts nuts now, he, he, he, he Laughing
traveller816

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:21    Post subject: 33x10.50x15 Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

THIS IS A REPLY TO PHILMEISTER FROM CANADA. Sorry phil but the system isn't letting me reply to your PM about the the tyres. The 33x10.50x15's i put on my truck have been fantastic. I currently do not have any lift though i have cranked up my torsion bars about half an inch (but only to level the truck out as she was looking like too much like '70's muscle) I have standard suspension at the moment and the extra weight of an arb and winch on the front haven't effected her at all. There is no rubbing whatsoever (including offroad) Gearing wise i have 4.636 diffs in with the auto box. The tyre dropped my revs throughout the range by about 500rpm. Which has also given me about another 4 mpg. You take a diesel over the 3000 mark and they become almost as thirsty as a gas engine.... So i cruise at 65-70 keeping under 2500rpm and return about 24mpg, on long moterway trips (spain in August) should be giving me a steady 26 ish. The tyres also corrected the speedo as mine as with most of the trucks out there read 5-7mph out. So all in all a positive result, the tyres cost me £612 for a set of 5 BFG muds, and they are pretty quiet when compared to driving on lesser tyres. I'm sure they'll be cheaper in canada. And yes, i have a shortie. Forgot to mention these tyres are about 3.5 inches taller then the standard tyres on PJ's so give you a 1.75 inch lift off the ground too. All terrains will give you another 1 mpg possibly as less rolling resistance, but they're not available here in this size. For L200 owners who might be reading this, we tried my tyres on my friends' L200 (early square shape 1992) and the arches will not accomodate, sorry but you will need to lift your truck.... Phil, i hope you are watching this tread so you will read this reply, Also there is a gearing and tyre chart on one of the international scout sites that might be helpfull (yes i am a binder too!!!) you and anyone else can get in touch with me on traveller816@aol.com with any other questions.
Monterorider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 21:49    Post subject: Re: Tires, 33x12.50x15 they do fit -- but not on stock rims Reply with quote

Subic_Chef wrote:
[b][color=blue]Hi wave

Talking about Pajero Gen II

The largest tire you can fit on a Pajero is 31x10.50x15 that is on a stock 7 inch wide rim and then you should be street legal, that is in most country's & as recommended by tire manufacturers Wink

Wrong. Well maybe part about legal is depended upon county. But I know plenty of people who run 33x12.50R15 on stock rims.
Quote:

The standard Pajero 7 inch rim has a 4 inch backspace & zero offset.

Wrong. Standard alloys are +10mm offset. Forget about backspacing.

Quote:

To fit a 33x12.5x15 inch tire the rim width is minimum 8.5 inches wide and the offset approx - 19-25mm (my rims are 8.5x15 / offset -32 , no frame rubbing but they do stick out from the fenders)
Wrong big time. 8" rim is fine. But particularly offset should not be reduced to less then 0. Excessive negative offset is the root cause for all this extra rubbing. It cause wheel to draw wider arch and articulated further out producing all that extra rubbing. On my MK2 I run 285/75R16 (33x11.50R16) on 8" wide rims with +2mm offset with no extra lift and no rubbing.
PHILmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 19:34    Post subject: Re: 33x10.50x15 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Traveller! Appreciate the info. You have confirmed what I suspected and was told by others...

I ran 33x950 BFGs on my mkI and was pleased with them.

I got rid of my daily driver car, and my commute is 160kms+ per day, so fuel economy is important too, since the new truck will be both the DD and the weekend toy. My diffs will be 488s, but I'll be sitting behind a 4D56, so I'll probably need a little extra oomph eh? Very Happy

I'll be getting ATs for this reason. They run about $200 ea here in Canada.

Thanks again! Cheers!
Smile
PHILmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my tires are on! 33x1050s on stock rims. Currently at stock height, though I do plan to crank the t-bars a little... Here she be:

Can't wait to take it out and see how they work with the oil-burner! My diffs have the 488s, so it shouldn't sap the power too much.
Subic_Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 0:54    Post subject: Wrong not entirely & not so big time Reply with quote

Hi Monterorider

This is Right:

Rim Width Range
Rim width range is the size range on which the tire can be mounted to a rim.
Failure to follow rim width recommendations may result in poor tire performance
or possible wheel and/or tire failure.

http://www.phillipstire.com/store/tireinfo.htm

Size              Rim Width Range
30x9.50R15/C     6.5 - 8.5  
31x10.50R15/C    7.0 - 9.0  
32x11.50R15/C    8.0 - 10.0  
33x12.50R15/C    8.5 - 11.0  
35x12.50R15/C    8.5 - 11.0

The rest of the wrong argument fall on rim width requirement by tire manufacturer. We are talking about 12.5 wide tires not 11.5 big difference

There is one important point the negative offset of 32mm is drastically increasing the load on wheel bearings Exclamation  and a steering damper is needed to reduce steering wheel kick.

I do agree that 32x11.5x15 on a 8 inch probably a very good choice for a Pajero.

The 33 inch tires do reduce the acceleration 2.8TDI and overtaking on the highway needs a bit more length and time. Wink This is the reason why I did not fit the 35x12.5x15 M/T (they do fit without rubbing  Laughing )
Monterorider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 18:49    Post subject: Re: Wrong not entirely & not so big time Reply with quote

The keyword here
Subic_Chef wrote:
Rim Width Range
Rim width range is the size range on which the tire can be mounted to a rim.
Failure to follow rim width recommendations may result in poor tire performance
or possible wheel and/or tire failure.

doesn't imply will. Additionally variance of 0.5" on such large high profile tire is not significant. Also countless user experience running 12.5" tires on 8" wheel shows no significant/noticable problems on-road or off. Quite a few people run those on stock 7" rim, although that in my opinion is pushing it. Never the less my main argument is issue of offset not rim width. Offset should be around 0 no more (more meaning negative number). Otherwise it starts causing all sorts of trouble likewise you experienced necitating trimming of various car parts.
Width of the rim is really nonissue. If one can find 8.5" wide rim with 0 offset that would be just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: