QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What do you think about ...

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Make access to the 'technical' and 'tech FAQ' forums 'registered users only'?
Yes - it's a good idea
51%
 51%  [ 100 ]
No - leave it as it is
38%
 38%  [ 75 ]
Not bothered either way
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 194

Tiger

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd happily pay a membership fee if it improved the club.........if it didnt i probably wouldnt renew....and that is the choice of the individual.
I dunno its a really emotive issuie this,admin.....and there is no one answer.
damned if you do, and damned if you dont.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 22:08    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt we talk about this with the steering group,as it stands its an internet community rather than a club as such which is why we should maybe have a membership fee if u post,which u can get one of the membership packs that never actally came about,i would happily pay for membership
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would happily pay a membership fee. In fact wasnt this is what the Steering Committee amongst other things was supposed to be looking into. Since its formation last year there has been hardley any feedback, if any Exclamation
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know -
I was one of the many who browsed the Tech and FAQ forums before I bought my first Paj ( and first 4x4 ) in Oct 2002.

Paying, as I was at the time, local rate call charges for Internet access, I had absolutely no interest in joining sites, or chat or anything.
I finally joined PocUK in July 2004, but only started posting more recently when I decided to get a different ISP deal.

I think a certain degree of restriction is a good idea, but if I had had to register before I could even see what the site had to offer, I wouldn't be making these comments now. I might also now be a Lawn Rover owner ?? Shocked Shocked

PS Now I know, I would happily pay a (small) membership charge.
tazbabe
Events rep (Scotland)
Events rep (Scotland)

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother runs a mini club, (not on the internet) and they communicate by sending him their comments, and he publishes a news letter everymonth. a tad clumsy arrangement!

their meets, take a lot more setting up than ours do, and on here we can just say 'what do you think about so and so.......and get help/advise from each other.

using this site has helped me develope skills i would never have mastered, you have to use a pc to learn how to use it!

a small paragraph in the new member into info to explain that minimal skill is required as the site is simple to use would hopefully reassure pc shy folk.

on the other hand, not everyone with a paj even has a pc......

so i dunno really!
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind membership fees, so long as a percentage goes to charity.
And with regards to access for new members/potential Paj owners, why not allow them free membership for a couple of days allowing them view only access to a page with some dos and don'ts and what to look for when buying a Pajero (just to give them a taster of what to expect from this club when they are paid up members) but limit them to only being allowed to make a small amount of posts in a "Newbie Asking A Question" forum.
I realise that in effect, all users will have to register, for interaction, but this way, a potential newbie won't walk away because they don't want to pay up straight away for something that they feel might not be for them.

If this is going to add a huge load to admin, i'm sure there will be enough members willing to give a hand.

I don't think allowing view access to The Common Room and Chat is wise.
We don't want them to think that you have to be a little bit nutty to own a Paj........ but it helps Wink Laughing

There you go, i've killed 2 birds with one stone, Or 2 pheasants with one Paj (game i play in the mornings Twisted Evil ), by addressing membership fees and new user registration. Wink
rickladds
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daisy has a very valid point - and if we made the tech forums members only I think it could put a lot of browsers/potential Paj owners off.

So why change it? - it works exceptionally well as it is!
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave it as it is!

Spud 8)
mudcom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a vip room forum for members to pay & join even if only a couple of quid would make a bit of money for club. put me down then newbies can join club free then decide wether to join vip room at later date. get them hooked then hit em with vip room they wont be able to resist. 8)
denjo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all agree this is a brilliant site. Very Happy Very Happy

so do we really need to cange it Question

maybe we can do more to encourage voluntary contributions,

If it aint broke dont fix it.
mrsgrumpy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, bit of a dodgy issue this ... You've all raised valid points.

I'd happily pay for membership. Shocked
Perhaps you should change the Poll - free membership or pay membership Laughing Laughing

H Very Happy
Dave 1962
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

My veiw is quite a simple one, let new users Browse the site before they join. Then only if they decide to join can they then post. Im quite sure they would take up some of their time to register (whether PC wise or not) after they have seen what benefits they can get from the club.

As for a membership fee I think this has been mentioned before, As i would be willing to pay you have to bear in mind that there are other sites that you can go to for free, so any mention of club fees may lead to some members jumping ship for good. I know it is down to personal choice what site we use (even both) but I think membership numbers would greatly reduce if we had to subscribe which would be a great shame for such a fantastic site. Maybe If we had an element of paying members they could/would benefit even more by getting a slightly increased discount on some of the things the club have to offer. Just a thought. Wink Wink
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Membership fee or not ...

The point of the forums, (within the club), is that it is a kind of global info-share, (as well as the social aspects), with the contents freely provided by the members.

IMHO, (right or wrong), I feel it would be wrong to charge people to view the information that others have provided for free.

The point, in my mind, of 'forcing' people to sign up would be to try to reinforce the community aspects of the club.

I have mentioned before, that I am trying to put together a 'membership pack', but this needs to be 'Value added' to make it work, not just a couple of stickers and reproductions of some of the information already freely available within the forums, but 'added extras' that make it worthwhile paying some money towards the running costs of the club.

Sooo ... back on track, this isn't about making people pay subscription fees, but simply a poll to see if people agree that, by enforcing login to even browse the forums, we could actually encourage more people to get more involved in the social aspects of the club (for example).

I can see that computer-shy people may be intimidated by this, which is why it may not happen - after all, first and foremost, we're here to help each other, not put obstacles in the way.

Simon
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon wrote:
"I have mentioned before, that I am trying to put together a 'membership pack', but this needs to be 'Value added' to make it work, not just a couple of stickers and reproductions of some of the information already freely available within the forums, but 'added extras' that make it worthwhile paying some money towards the running costs of the club. "

Free tank of fuel ? Laughing
Dave 1962
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daisy wrote:
Simon wrote:
"I have mentioned before, that I am trying to put together a 'membership pack', but this needs to be 'Value added' to make it work, not just a couple of stickers and reproductions of some of the information already freely available within the forums, but 'added extras' that make it worthwhile paying some money towards the running costs of the club. "

Free tank of fuel ? Laughing

here here daisy what a brill idea, I would register in so many different names id never have to pay for fuel again Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: